Anchor Rode

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mgphl52

Sampson Trophy braid for jib sheets

Post by mgphl52 »

I hope I'm not too late into this, but I highly recommend Samson Trophy braid for cruising jib sheets. This line has a very comfortable feel and is pretty durable. I must admit that we have worn an ugly section on KAYLA's port sheet, but that was caused by too way much "serious" racing... For the time being, I've just reversed the line. Samson line is also available from Defender at a very reasonable price.

Enjoy!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

ANCHOR, CHAIN AND RODE:

After a few days of research and trips to WM, I have purchased the following from Defender. All items will ship today and be delivered by Fri am.

I would have bought the anchor, etc. at WM except I went to three (3) South Florida WMs and none had Danforth anchors. They said they could special order but no estimate on delivery time. They were also significantly more expensive than Defender on almost all items. Total shipping cost is only $21.

Here is what I got from Defender. The item #s are from www.Defender.com

Danforth anchor (S920) (14 lbs), Item #001331
1/4" proof coil (20'); G-3 Proof Coil, Item #001135
Two (2) 5/16" shackles, Item #001406
One (1) Anchor Chain Rode Swivel, Item #001401
150' rode braided nylon (3/8") Anchor Line, Item #002606

The anchor size and length of chain may be a little oversized for a CD Ty Weekender - then again, maybe not. My thinking was (is) that if I must move S/V Tadpole from her sailing club mooring during a hurricane warning, I will have to deploy one or more anchors, chain and line, etc.. The more the better; the heavier the better. There are two "Danforth-type" anchors on board already but they are very small - kind of like "lunch hooks".

I would welcome the comments of board members concerning the above items and how "off base" I am in the brand, sizing, etc. Your candor will be much appreciated. If items are wrong size, wrong brand, etc., please tell me so I can learn for future purchases.

JIB SHEETS:

I considered Samson lines for jib sheets. However, WM had New England rope. I bought two sets of 35' of New England Sta Set double braided dacron (5/16" diam). It is a little "thinner" than I am used to on the jib sheets for the Harbor 20s I "race" on Saturdays which I think are 3/8" diam. I bought separate sheets (red - port; green - starboard). This way, when I am telling myself to adjust the starboard jib sheet instead of saying "starboard sheet in or out" and possibly being confused whether it is the "left line" or "right line" I can simply say "green line in or out". :) :wink:

I installed them yesterday on one of the original CD jibs.

Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to practice dropping and picking up a mooring ball single handed, nor raising sails in Biscayne Bay.

Yesterday, just as I was getting ready for 1-2 hours of practice on S/V Tadpole, the restoration company that has been drying out my house from the flood called to say they wanted to take additional moisture readings yesterday afternoon. The good news is the drywall is now dryer than when it was first installed in 1994. In South Florida all drywall has some moisture. It is the price we pay for living in paradise. No more fans, blowers, heaters, dehumidifiers and NO MORE NOISE. :)

I look forward to your candid comments about the above purchased items.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

West Marine Advisor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I find the "West Advice" section on their web site very helpful for getting equipment recommendations. ThHey have a great section on anchoring and recommended sizes for anchors, chain and line size.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.