LED replacement bulbs

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John B
Hull #410
Buffalo New York

LED replacement bulbs

Post by John B »

I am interested in replacing my traditional bulbs/running/cabin lights w/ LED's.

Advice?

Thanks.

John B

Buffalo NY
tartansailor

Here is One For Starters

Post by tartansailor »

You can Google up a slew of suppliers of leds

That is how I did mine.
Good luck

http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

Dick
John B
Hull #410
Buffalo New York

Post by John B »

That works.

Do you find that the LED's are satisfactory?

JB
chase

for stock lamps

Post by chase »

I realize there may be many types of stock lamps, but which ones fit the little gold cabin lights or the dome type in the galley?

Thanks-

Chase
wingreen

here's a good one...

Post by wingreen »

check this guy out:

Hotwire Enterprises
John & Libby

1-727-943-0424
1-727-638-7417 (cell?)

hotwiregam@aol.com
The Patriot

Re: LED replacement bulbs

Post by The Patriot »

John B wrote:I am interested in replacing my traditional bulbs/running/cabin lights w/ LED's ...
One source is "Doctor LED" at:

http://www.doctorled.com/p2.htm

This supplier has direct replacements for most cabin lights and for the Aqua Signal running lights (most models). I have heard good reviews about this supplier but have not yet purchased. I am seriously considering replacing the Series 40 tri-color light with a low draw LED.
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Sailors Solutions

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I have replaced all of my dome lights and with Sailors Solutions "Sensibulb" LED lights using their plug in replacement and one complete fixture the Red (night navigation) / White night dome light and some of their LED flashlights. All of their products are great The LED cabin lights are bright and have a more natural light than most LED's. THeir fixture also are dimable. (is that a word?)I tried another vendor, Super Brights and was not too impressed.

Sailors Solutions WEB site has a lot of info:

http://www.sailorssolutions.com/
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I can attest to the sensibulbs to replace cabin dome lights as my brother, on his celestial CD36, has them. we have worked under them and drank beer under them and they have always looked good and were bright enough. I plan on getting some for our 33 this year.

I don't think these are for Nav lights though. I would add my query for a festoon anchor light bulb LED replacement. I would really like to lower the draw on that light with a replacement bulb. Anyone? Bueller?

Paul
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Sailors Solutions has several anchor lights and nav lights. I had one of their LED anchor lights installed this winter. It has a photo cell that turns it off at dawn.

They also have a variety of nav LED lights.

http://www.sailorssolutions.com/index.a ... egoryID=32
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Bob L

festoon bulbs

Post by Bob L »

Paul D. wrote:I would add my query for a festoon anchor light bulb LED replacement. I would really like to lower the draw on that light with a replacement bulb. Anyone? Bueller?

Paul
Take a look at the link to the docterled that kerrydeare has in his post.

Check this site out too

http://www.bebi-electronics.com/afamakuaka.html
Dean Abramson

In Galley

Post by Dean Abramson »

We have a nice LED fixture in our galley now which also has a red bulb. The red is handy at night for glancing at a chart, or just general coming and going, as it lights the companionway steps and makes the main cabin navigable. Got it at WM; a little pricey in my opinion, though.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Night light

Post by Jim Davis »

For a simple light in the cabin to use while underway at night get LED marker lights from a car parts store. These are the small rectangular ones, come in red and are inexpensive. I have two wired in, one in the head and one in the main cabin. Both are wired to the running lights. When the running lights are on, the night lights are on.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Bob Emmons

Masthead Tricolor Led Replacement

Post by Bob Emmons »

Hello all,
I did indeed purchase the Dr. LED out of West Marine and replaced both bulbs in my masthead anchor and tricolor Aqua Series 40.
Not cheap at approx $50 each. After using the anchor light a couple of times this spring I can attest that the total amperage drawn out of my battery bank for approx. 8 hours was approx. 1 amp. What a difference compared to the 18 amps that resulted from the traditional incadescent bulb! The brightness is a bit less but sufficient for our purposes.
Bob
Bob Emmons
CD30 "Red Wing"
Robinhood, ME
The Patriot

Re: Masthead Tricolor Led Replacement

Post by The Patriot »

Bob Emmons wrote:Hello all,
I ... replaced both bulbs in my masthead anchor and tricolor Aqua Series 40 ... I can attest that the total amperage drawn out of my battery bank for approx. 8 hours was approx. 1 amp ... compared to the 18 amps [from] the traditional incadescent bulb ...
Two questions, Bob. (1) Did you notice any interference on VHF with either of the LED lights, and (2) how did you measure the current draw on these fixtures? Thanks.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Current Draw

Post by Oswego John »

I use a clamp on ammeter.

O J