Advice on portable head , anybody?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

grania
Owner-Aine

Advice on portable head , anybody?

Post by grania »

Hello-well it wont be long until sailing season here in Boston. I have a CD 9meter Intrepid, bought without a holding tank ever installed. I am now having to sell the boat and am realizing what a big deal this is. I am seriously considering installing a portable head rather than the holding tank-presently I have a head that empties to sea. What Im wondering is, would my 9 mtr-aprox 30 foot-CD be a good candidate for a portable head? Would installing a holding tank be as much of a hassle and expense as Im hearing-even tho I already have a head installed? Advise appreciated.-Aine
Aine
Big E
Salem, MA

Post by Big E »

I must say i'm a big fan of the porta pottie. I considered a head system & came to the conclusion that it's best for me to keep it simple. A porta pottie can be emptied in any public toilet (no waiting in line at the pumpout.) Also you can plug those seacocks up for good & never worry about them again. There is much debate in the archives on this topic but in my very humble opinion, the P.P. is the way to go.( No pun intended!)
Good luck --E--
marilou

Economical Alternative compromise?

Post by marilou »

I would check out Sealand's MSD models - available from Defender.
grania
Owner-Aine

portable head

Post by grania »

Thanks for the response. I tend to agree-the portable route makes sence and I think thats the way I'll go. Aine
Aine
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: portable head

Post by Neil Gordon »

grania wrote:Thanks for the response. I tend to agree-the portable route makes sence and I think thats the way I'll go. Aine
Do some further research and get a quote from the yard for installation of a permanent head and holding tank. That way if a prospective buyer prefers the permanent installation, you'll know what the costs are and have a solution all lined up.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Location of original equipment.....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

If you decide to install a holding tank rather than a portable toilet, take a look at the owners manual. It shows where Cape Dory would have installed the holding tank beneath the v-berth. The drawing is on page 30.

Perhaps the original owners re-plumbed the boat and were using that tank as a potable water tank instead of a holding tank? Anyway, if that tank is still there, you can re-plumb it as a holding tank. It's something to think about anyway if there's a bow tank.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Location of original equipment.....

Post by Neil Gordon »

Cathy Monaghan wrote:Perhaps the original owners re-plumbed the boat and were using that tank as a potable water tank instead of a holding tank? Anyway, if that tank is still there, you can re-plumb it as a holding tank.
I can see going from water tank to holding tank but I'm not sure about vice versa.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Neil Gordon wrote:
Cathy Monaghan wrote:Perhaps the original owners re-plumbed the boat and were using that tank as a potable water tank instead of a holding tank? Anyway, if that tank is still there, you can re-plumb it as a holding tank.
I can see going from water tank to holding tank but I'm not sure about vice versa.
You can do it if you're the original owner and NEVER used it as a holding tank. So if that tank is there, and they've been using it as a water tank, it can be used as a holding tank. And you're right, after that, you won't switch back.

Cathy
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

Cathy Monaghan wrote:You can do it if you're the original owner and NEVER used it as a holding tank.
Are the materials used for holding tanks compatible with potable water? Or is the answer, "maybe"?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698