Typhoon Tales...anyone have one?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Tod Mills

Typhoon Tales...anyone have one?

Post by Tod Mills »

I found this post interesting:

http://members3.boardhost.com/SCABoard/ ... 96677.html

Anyone else have any neat little tales to tell of trips in their typhoon?
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Russell

Post by Russell »

I recall reading a story awhile back, I think it was on this board (maybe pre changeover to phpbb) about a nightmare trip on a ty crossing the gulf of mexico in bad conditions. I remember a part of the story where the guy had to literally punch his wife unconcious to keep her from jumping overboard to death. It was certainly an interesting story but I cant find it. Anyone else remember it who can post a link here?
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Crossing The Gulf Of Mexico

Post by Oswego John »

Russell,

I remember reading that Winthrop crossed the Gulf several times, once in a very bad storm. I can't comment on decking his wife. I think that he said most of his trips were single handed.

Best regards,
O J
Russell

Post by Russell »

Yeah, this definately was not winthrop. This was a guy who with a group of other folks with trailers, hauled their boats to mexico, launched them and sailed across with lots of disaster. It was an interesting read(other then decking the wife it also included tying everything imaginable to lines and tossing overboard to use as warps), I wish I could remember where I read it since the author was on a ty.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Crossing The Gulf Of Mexico

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote:I can't comment on decking his wife.
I suppose that's the first time I've seen "decking" used in the literal sense. It's another of those nautical origin terms, of course.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Typhooner

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

If you havn't seen this yet-an interesting "periodical" that ran for a few years.
http://www.toolworks.com/capedory/typhooner/index.html
Jim Buck

A Typhoon tale on Lake Erie

Post by Jim Buck »

Todd,

You’ve been very helpful to me with questions I’ve posed so I felt compelled to reply to your request with an experience that occurred in your backyard over 30 years ago with my first Ty:

And I feel I owe my life to that Typhoon.

(Please bear with me as the greatest threat occurred later in a journey I shall never forget and please accept my apology for such a long-winded, and possibly boring, “war” story.)

I was early 20’s and had purchased a new ’74 Ty with “the best outboard in the world.” After sailing around Maumee Bay and Western Lake Erie for a few weeks, I decided it was time for an overnight cruise to the Bass Islands (Put-in-Bay) on a July 4th weekend. A friend and I loaded the cooler and that Friday at noon set sail heading east from Anchor Point Marina planning on arriving before dark at Middle Bass Harbor. The weather was beautiful; not a cloud in the sky, wind was offshore and probably 10 knots or a little less, and then a lot less. We were becalmed about a half mile off Crane Creek State Park. No problem; we’ll swim for a half hour and then if the wind doesn’t pick-up we’ll motor to Put-in-Bay. The swim really cooled us off and we climbed back in the Ty (No ladder; just grab the toe rail and hoist yourself up. Hah! No way today.) The Seagull started right up and off we go to the islands. We were making headway when I was wishing I would have filled up the gallon gas can and topped off the tank on the motor. Needless to say we ran out of gas in about a half hour and were still becalmed. We drifted motionlessly for more hours than I can remember. Dusk was approaching when the telltales started to move. The wind continued to stiffen to about 15 knots or so and we were loving it. Then I started wishing I had nav lights. We were still some distance from safe harbor (Put-in-Bay) when total darkness enveloped us. The main and 150 genny were pulling us along nicely while my buddy shined a flashlight on the main to let others know we were there. The flashing light from a monument on the island provided a point for navigation that kept creeping closer. I was able to then follow the harbor lights to the mouth of the harbor where at approximately 11pm on a July 4th weekend I realized that my sailing skills were to be put to the test. Boats (unlike my small boat without underwater propulsion) were motoring about every which way. And not just a few boats, but more like 50. I was so proud of gently gliding up to the gas dock after dousing the genny and not causing any damage to my or others’ property. I can’t remember if we got gas that night or the next day. I do know we sailed to the next dock over and wound up 4th boat out from the dock. We had a great weekend with lots of revelry. We weren’t looking forward to leaving our island paradise but noon time Sunday dictated we must depart in order to make it to work on Monday to ensure boat payments continued. With our full gas tanks (~1 ½ gals.) and cooler re-supplied we set sail for home port. Well…, in the lee of the island there was no wind so the Seagull puttered us out of the lee and into the big lake. Without a radio and nothing more than a hearsay weather report, we were trusting that the beautiful weather we were enjoying was going to stay that way. After clearing all the traffic away from the island, we killed the motor and hoisted sails. Again, no wind. We drifted adjacent to a large sailing vessel for about an hour before the telltales showed motion. As sails filled with wind to our backs, we enjoyed finally moving along running wing and wing. The wind seemed to gradually stiffen until after an hour we realized we were in a very strong Nor’easter. (Please keep in mind that Lake Erie is the shallowest of the Great Lakes and requires very little time to become unpleasantly turbulent.) The storm brought no rain but we were getting wet from the froth being blown off the tops of the waves as the Ty plunged into the deep troughs at much higher speed than I had ever experienced in her. In the troughs we would climb ever so slowly to the crest and once again begin our rapid descent. Water rose from the self-bailing scuppers as we would descend and recede as we climbed. Hatch boards were in and life jackets at the ready as we watched wave after wave climb to the top of stern but stop short of washing the deck. Land disappeared for seemingly long periods of time until we crested the next wave and caught glimpses of the power plant tower. I grew up on Lake Erie and had never been out in such weather before this. We were still wing and wing with the whisker pole affixed to the mast and tied to a shroud to reduce up and down motion caused by “wave action”. We both feared the foredeck and were content to let a sail blow out rather than risk hitting the drink. After what seemed like a very quick sail, the Davis Besse plant was to port and, with liquid courage flowing, my buddy doused the jib and we ran under the reefed main as we were concerned the rigging might “blow up”. Soon the Anchor Point Marina break wall was within sight and discussion began: to motor in or sail in. Well, anyone who’s sailed with a Seagull on a Ty knows how often the prop churns air in even small swells. (Even as a novice I had recognized this fault.) That day we were facing monstrous swells. Easy decision for even our inexperienced (yes, stupid) crew; you sail in. Then something strange appeared as we approached closer to the marina entrance. The break wall had new ornamentation in the shape of a very large motor cruiser. It was chilling to listen to and watch as the rocks on the east side of the break wall ground away at the hull as it was heaved up and down by the large waves. We asked ourselves "How are we able to survive this blow when something that large is crumbling before our eyes?" I almost over shot the narrow entrance and just cleared the west side break wall as I pushed the tiller starboard and breathed a heavy sigh of relief as we entered calmer water. As we sailed into the slip I noticed that the tiller was off set from the rudder. The reminder of that Nor’easter was about a 10 degree offset between tiller and rudder. Many lessons were learned on that trip that many sailors probably practice subconsciously. My sea legs stayed no longer than usual on terra firma but the memory of that trip will stay forever.

I now own my third Cape Dory and realized long ago how ignorant I was and how fortunate I was to have practiced this ignorance on a Typhoon.
Tod M

Thanks for the link and the tale, fellows!

Post by Tod M »

I enjoyed your tale, Jim!
Joe Montana
Member 781

Trans-Atlantic Ty

Post by Joe Montana »

The story below is lifted from the thread entitled " 18'CD_New Owner." I thought it deserved a place on this one!

"Also, I thought I would share a little history about my CD...It should stir some interesting conversation. Apparrently, the original owner sailed her from Portugal or Spain...ok, somewhere along Europes west coast. He sailed it across the Atlantic and gave her away after reaching the shore. I am the third owner since this nut's journey -- that apparently took him 5-6 months and a rescue or two. Anyway, has anyone heard any stories about this?"
Judith

Trans-Atlantic Ty

Post by Judith »

Coincidentally, I was just reading that same entry, Joe--and also thought about the Ty-adventures question on this board. I'll just add, the thread Joe cites is on the Good Old Boat website. . .

Cheers,
Judith
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.