Reefing/furler system for 1977 CD Typhoon Weekender

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Jib Downhaul

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7 ... G7hqzcOGPg
Here are some photos of my rig-I keep the jib hanked on in a jib bag with the sheets attached. This way when I get to the boat, I just take off the bag, attach the halyard, reeve the sheets, and I,m ready to go. I make both sheets fast to center the jib, and tie a large rubber band around the jib. To raise the jib from the cockpit I rlease one sheet, trim the other, and pull up the halyard. The rubber band breaks and the jib goes up.
The other shots are of the downhaul. Just a light line with a snap shackle to the uppermost jib hank, down to a small block at the stem. I use this as the downhaul for the asymmetrical also.
Good Luck, and have lots of fun!
Mike
Will Wheatley
On Mill Creek in Annnapolis, MD

Post by Will Wheatley »

Hi Seahunt
I sailed Suzi Q (CD25) for a year with hank on and liked it but since I solo sail all the time I decided to go with the CDI FF4. I love it with one exception that barely registers against the plusses. The CDI furlers have one line that furls and unfurls. So if you run the furling line down the starboard side the sail can be perfectly adjusted for the max. sail shape if the jib is also to starboard. But if you tack and the sail is to port there is a little play in the line since the barrel unrolls about 1/5 of a turn. It is no big deal but thats my only complaint.

Your sailing skills will benefit from using hank on and changing sials is much easier but you said there is no pulpit or life lines and that would concern me. I have sailed in some ugly crap and it sure is nice to just pull a line and stop worrying about the headsail.

As I said changing sails is not as easy and you will occasionally need to change the jib from the larger one to a working or storm sail. All roller furlers loose efficiency as they roll up so if you have a 130 and you want to go to a 90 you are better off changing to a 90 than rolling the 130 to 90. This goes with the same line of thinking you use when deciding if you need to reef the mainsail.

You mentioned expense and I assume that $800 is for an FF1 installed by the rigger. You can easily do this yourself and save big bucks. The instructions are clear and if you just follow them it all comes together. When I installed mine I read the instructions and thought they sounded weird so I did a lot of measuring and math and come up with exactly what the instructions said to do.

With the money you save from installing it yourself. You will have to spend some of it. I have not heard anyone mention this but reality is that you have to have luff tape put on any sail you plan to use with the furler. I recommend a larger genny and one about 85-90% that means you have to have luff tape on two sails. Unless you are a wizard with a heavy duty sewing machine, this is a job for a sail maker and you will have to pay them. The only other option is to buy a sail with the correct size luff tape already on it. I have done this twice. I bought two used sails from Bacon Sails in Annapolis for around $200 each. One did not last long the other was the best deal I have gotten on anything I have bought for the boat. The one that did not last was Mylar so I don't recommend mylar sails unless you also get a headsail cover.

Any way To sum up my thoughts: Keeping the hank on will make you a better and more cautious sailor and that is probably is a good thing. While you are still a tadpole you will not be as inclined to sail in bad weather or risk anything. on the other hand if you plan on cruising near and far no matter what I would get the furler.

BTW I like S/V Seahunt

Happy Sailoring~~~~/)~~~~
Will Wheatley, CDSOA
Sailing The Bay near Chesapeake Beach, MD
Riptide
Riptide

Thanks SeaHunt

Post by Riptide »

Someone should organize your questions and everyone's answers here into a book of "How to Search For and Outfit a CD Typhoon". You don't know how many questions you've asked that I'd say, Gosh I need to know that as well. I also just purchased a 1977 Ty. We've had a terribly later spring here in Minnesota so I've been delayed getting to work on my boat. You're about a month or two ahead of me thanks for the help!

Mike
aka Riptide