Cruise to New England

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dixon Hemphill

Cruise to New England

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

This June a CD30 sailor and I plan to cruise from Annapolis to Westerly RI (my hometown). Our trip will take us north in Chesapeake Bay, thru the C&D Canal, south thru Delaware Bay, north along the NJ coast, into NY harbor, up the East River, into Long Island Sound and along the CT coast to Westerly. Our planned overnights will be in the vicinities of Chesapeake City, Port Norris, Atlantic City, Toms River, Great Kills Harbor, Stamford, Guilford and Westerly. We plan to travel only during daylight hours.
We will carry an EPRIB, VHF and all necessary safety equipment. Several questions:
1. What are the best inexpensive charts to use?
2. Which marinas/harbors in these cities are most "friendly"?
3. What particular cautions should we take enroute?
4. Any pertinent suggestions from those who have made this trip?

Dixon Hemphill

Your valued comments will be greatly appreciated.
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

In addition to charts

Post by Neil Gordon »

You'll have currents pushing you either this way or that way for most of the trip. Invest in a copy of Eldridge, study the current charts and time your passages accordingly.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Dick Barthel

Masthead

Post by Dick Barthel »

Dixon,

Check your back copies of the Masthead. Cathy did several excellent articles on sailing through those areas NJ, NY, CT, RI. You'll probably experience southwest winds for the most part as you move easterly through the Sound. Being mindful of the current will shorten the time spent considerably. With a mostly favorable current and a south or southwest wind I can do Fairfield, CT to Noank (60nm) in about 11-12 hours) in my 25D. It's usually a lot harder going west.

Another point for navigating the Sound is to be very aware of commerical traffic - ferries, barges and ships. Bridgeport, New Haven and New London are all very active ports.

Where are you planning to keep the boat while in Westerly?

Be sure to look me up when you go through the Noank, Mystic area. I met you when you gave your interesting talk on Carl Alberg at our Essex rendezvous last year.

Dick
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Chart Kits

Post by Evergreen »

We would recommend the Maptech Chart Kits. That way you have all the charts in one package at a reasonable price. Get the zip lock plastic sleeve also.
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Russell

Re: Chart Kits

Post by Russell »

Evergreen wrote:We would recommend the Maptech Chart Kits. That way you have all the charts in one package at a reasonable price. Get the zip lock plastic sleeve also.
I second this. I used these for the entire east coast. Their size is very conveinent, and its in a nice easy package, and not to mention when you compare the cost of buying each of those charts seperately you are saving hundreds of dollars. The plastic sleeves are worth buying too, the sleeve it comes in wont stand up to a lot of use, and while the big sleeve they sell seperately for them may seem like an overpriced thing, its well worth it. Not just for keeping the chart dry when used in the cockpit, but for keeping moisture and mildew from getting in when its left on the boat.

In addition to the maptech charts, the Waterway Guide books are worth carrying too. Lots of detailed info on just about every stop. Its not a cruising guide per se, or a pilot book, but if you have to stop somewhere you did not plan to stop, it will help, and if you need to get a repair somewhere, it will help you find where. It also lists every marina and almost all marine buisness for each area. Worth their weight in gold. The one you want starts at the C&D Canal and ends I think far past your destination, I think its called Waterway Guide Northeast. Skip the Mid-Atlantic book since of the whole book the only useful part will be for the northern chesapeake portion of your trip.

The current Reeds for the east coast is a must have as well, for tides, currents and piloting information. If you have to go into one of those NJ inlets in a pinch you will definately need good info (though some of those inlets are downright evil and even in bad weather you better off staying out, especially in bad weather really).

As pointed out, traffic will be the most annoying part of your trip, all those barges and such. Personally I would prefer to do the trip furthur offshore to avoid the shore traffic, but since you only plan to daysail that is not feasable, and since your daysailing traffic should only be a minor annoyance.

In your list of planned stops you did not include Cape May. If that was not just accidentally left out, then I highly recommend you use it to overnight before jumping off to do the NJ coast, it is ideally situated after Chesapeake City, there is a doable anchorage there off the coast guard station and Utches marina is very friendly to transients. Plus a west marine and other supply stores in walking distance if you need to make last minute purchases/repairs before going into the atlantic. You shouldnt need to stop at Port Norris at all. I have done nonstop from Sassafrass river in the Chesapeake to Cape May all in daylight (though it was dark with dawn approaching when I left) in a CD36 and had time to spare when I got tied up in Cape May. So from Chesapeake City it should be easily doable in a CD30, start getting the anchor up/boat untied before daybreak, do the canal in the dawn light and have full daylight before entering the deleware. I would suggest just using Port Norris as a fallback if you get stuck with strong headwinds on the Deleware and make bad time.

Have a fun trip!
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Cohansey River

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

I made the Cheasapeake City to Cape May trip a few years ago. Weather and current will be factors in completing a daylight passage. An alternative to Port Norris is Cohansey River - not quite as far as Port Norris. If it is a fair day and you have a pre dawn start you won't have trouble making Cape May.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

I did this trip in reverse last fall. Cape May, NJ. Mannisquam, Shark River, NJ. City Is. NY. and Greenport, Long Island were friendly convenient stops with good services and eateries.
________
Kawasaki Zr750H
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.
chase

Eldridge

Post by chase »

Neil,

Not familiar with this one, is it comparable to Reeds or specific to NE?

Good thread, will file away.

Chase
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Guides & GPS

Post by Evergreen »

As Russell mentioned Dozier's Waterway Guides are VERY useful. Also, I would suggest at least a hand held GPS as you may encounter fog somewhere along the way.
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Eldridge

Post by Neil Gordon »

farmerchase wrote:Neil,

Not familiar with this one, is it comparable to Reeds or specific to NE?

Good thread, will file away.

Chase
Eldridge provides tide tables from Portland, ME to Miami and in between. Current tables in the book would cover the planned passage. There's less information than Reeds (does Reeds include light lists and the like?) Eldridge is $12.95; what's the price for Reeds?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

You'll be in my sailing waters!

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Dixon,

Once you round Sandy Hook into Raritan Bay, you've got a few choices for anchoring rather than spending any extra cash on moorings or slips.

Raritan Bay (Lower Bay):
  • Sheepshead Bay: Once on Raritan Bay, after passing Sandy Hook, continue northward then turn and head eastward for Sheepshead Bay. There's no place to anchor, but you can get a mooring from the Sheepshead Bay Yacht Club or Miramar Yacht Club. But I don't recommend Sheepshead Bay. There are ALOT of boats in there and the moorings are way to close. They do hit each other so you'll be worrying all night long.

http://mapserver.maptech.com/api/GetIma ... ver_ip=250

I don't recommend the Gateway Marina in Dead Horse Cove either but it's an option. It is in Gateway National Recreation Area but the last time we were there the place was a mess -- a disgrace for a national park (recreation) area. Anyway, since then the marina has undergone a major renovation and expansion, so it may be worth a visit.

Coney Island Creek: Once on Raritan Bay, if you continue heading northward towards the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, pass Coney Island then hang a right (east) when you get to Gravesend Bay. Head south and enter Coney Island Creek. Anchor in 13-14 feet MLW (mean tidal range on Raritan Bay is about 6 feet).

Or, if you don't head down into Coney Island Creek, continue eastward and get a slip from Marine Basin Marina in Gravesend Bay.

Sandy Hook Bay: Once you've rounded Sandy Hook, continue west around the hook then head southward into Sandy Hook Bay. If winds are light you can anchor off (south) of the Coast Guard Station in about 8 feet MLW. The anchorage is totally exposed to the west.

Or continue further south to Horseshoe Cove. Horseshoe Cove is also only good in light winds if they're from anywhere out of the west. It's a good place to be if the wind's anywhere out of the east. Give the sandbar that juts southward a wide berth then tuck up and anchor behind the sanbar in 10 feet MLW. Make sure you don't swing to close to shore or you'll be aground.

Or continue southward to Atlantic Highlands, NJ and anchor behind the breakwater. There's plenty of room to anchor at the eastern end of both the north and south mooring fields. And in Atlantic Highlands there's also a municipal marina and the Atlantic Highlands Yacht Club. You can get a slip from the marina or a mooring from the yacht club. The yacht club's launch monitors VHF Ch. 9. Moorings are $35 per night.

Great Kills Harbor: After rounding Sandy Hook head northwestward towards Great Kills Harbor on Staten Island. There are several marinas and yacht clubs in this harbor and a large mooring field. But there is usually room to anchor in the northeast corner as well as off the bulkhead off the National Park area (not far from the boat ramp). You can also anchor outside the mooring field at the southwestern end of the harbor (near the entrance). There's also an area to anchor in the middle of the mooring field (it where there are no moored boats) but you have to be careful to stay away from the shallow area. Otherwise you can get a mooring from the Richmond County Yacht Club or the Staten Island Yacht Club.

New York Harbor (Upper Bay):
  • Near Statue of Liberty: After rounding Sandy Hook continue heading northward and pass beneath the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. Pass Staten Island and continue heading northward towards the Statue of Liberty. South of the statue, look for G"29" Fl G 2.5s Gong then head westward for RN"2" and follow the channel northwestward (stay south of the statue). After passing GC"7" continue NW toward land keeping land and the old piers to starboard. Favor the north side -- near the piers and bulkhead. Anchor in 14 feet MLW. This is a good anchorage but you will most likely be visited by the USCG due to the vicinity to the statue. You can go ashore. There's a dinghy dock. Be sure to visit Liberty State Park, the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island while you're there.

Morris Canal: Or continue northward past the Statue of Liberty from G"29" Fl G 2.5s Gong staying on the NJ side of the harbor. You'll have Ellis Island off to port as you pass the next green -- G"31" Fl G 4s Gong. From there you'll head more NNE, about .75 nm, toward GC"1" which marks the entrance to the old Morris Canal. In there you'll find two big marinas: Liberty Landing Marina is the one on the canal's south shore (to port) and the other is Liberty Harbor Marina on the canal's north shore (to starboard). Liberty Harbor is less expensive. Be on the lookout for ferry traffic as you approach. Anyway, both are also good places to explore Liberty State Park, Libery Science Center, the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

That should get you through New York Harbor with plenty of options for where to stop and spend the night.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Last edited by Cathy Monaghan on Apr 6th, '08, 13:36, edited 3 times in total.
Dixon Hemphill

Cruise to New England

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

I want to heartily thank all those who came to my rescue by giving me all sorts of information relative to my planned trip to NE this coming June. You all provided very helpful ideas and suggestions that will help to make our trip a successful one.

Who ever instigated the formation of this Discussion Board should be commended because it certainly is a great way for us sailors to provide help and assistance to others.

When my friend and I return from our cruise this summer I will make it a point to tell you all how things went.

Dixon
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
chase

Reeds

Post by chase »

Neil,

Reed's has a tide and current section and also a pilot section with lights. They're nearly $30 and I only use them for tide data really, will look into Eldridge.

Chase
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Reeds vs Eldridge

Post by Carter Brey »

I used Reeds for several years because of the exhaustive nature of its tide and current tables, but came to realize that Eldridge offers the same information for East coast sailors at a fraction of the price.

Of course, Reeds is useful when you need to trim the boat-- the thing is so damned heavy that you can move it from the cockpit to the forepeak just to get the stern out of the water.

But Eldridge has all that terrific old-timey stuff-- George Eldridge's advice to mariners in southern New England, his old tidal current map of Martha's Vineyard and the Elizabeth Islands... it reeks of the old Massachussetts maritime tradition, Capt Slocum, &c...and how about the yellow cover and that ruler printed on the front cover and the hole punched through the whole damned thing so that you can hang it from a string at the nav station... I cahnt do without it.

Just my humble opinion.

Carter Brey
Sabre 28 MkII #532 "Delphine"
City Island, NY
The Patriot

Re: Reeds vs Eldridge

Post by The Patriot »

Carter Brey wrote: ... Eldridge has all that terrific old-timey stuff-- George Eldridge's advice to mariners in southern New England, his old tidal current map of Martha's Vineyard and the Elizabeth Islands... it reeks of the old Massachussetts maritime tradition, Capt Slocum, &c...and how about the yellow cover and that ruler printed on the front cover and the hole punched through the whole damned thing so that you can hang it from a string at the nav station... I cahnt do without it. ...
As an East Coast sailor brought up on "The Eldridge," I would never use Reed's. It would be unpatriotic.