Boarding ladder for 1977 CD Typhoon Weekender

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Boarding ladder for 1977 CD Typhoon Weekender

Post by Sea Hunt »

I would like to purchase a boarding/swim ladder for my 1977 CD Typhoon Weekender. Presently, she has a rope and plastic step ladder. A loop on one end of the rope is thrown over one of the winches/stands to hold it in place.

I am used to and comfortable climbing out of the water using small boarding ladders and carrying 60-70+ pounds of dive gear- tanks, cameras, etc.. These boarding ladders, although small, are made of thick stainless or aluminum and permanently affixed to the transom. They don't move.

The rope and plastic ladder is OK but not very stable and, to my mind, subject to failure. It seems like this method puts a tremendous lateral strain/pressure on the winch bracket/stand that is only mounted to the deck with 2-3 screws and to the coaming with 2 small screws.

Because I will be single handing I do not want to find myself in a situation where the boarding ladder fails and I am unable to reboard my Ty. :cry:

I have researched the board and there is very little, if anything, on this subject.

I have also researched the Internet and so far have not found anything I think is suitable or usable on a Ty Weekender. My preference is for something made of stainless or aluminum that is portable/foldable, etc., with 4-5 steps (3-4 below the water line).

Because there is only a small wood rubrail along the gunwale, there is nothing to which a boarding ladder can be temporarily affixed - at least not that I can envision.

Any suggestions :?:

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions, recommendations.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
John Ring

Here we go...

Post by John Ring »

Sea Hunt wrote:I would like to purchase a boarding/swim ladder for my 1977 CD Typhoon Weekender.

Here we go again.

Just kidding

John Ring :wink:
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
David van den Burgh

Re: Boarding ladder for 1977 CD Typhoon Weekender

Post by David van den Burgh »

Sea Hunt wrote:I would like to purchase a boarding/swim ladder for my 1977 CD Typhoon Weekender.

Any suggestions :?:

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions, recommendations.
The only thing you won't like is the price (click on the text).
D Rush

Post by D Rush »

I was looking at folding boarding / swim ladders at West Marine this afternoon. My Cape Dory 25 came with flush-mounted cups on the deck on the starboard side of the cockpit but no ladder. The Ladders go for about $150 at WM
On the WestMarine site search on Ladder or
Gunwale Mt Boarding Ladder, 4 Stp

I have seen these ladders cheaper on other marine supply websites.

I think the key to ladder length is to have two steps in the water.
If you are going to use a ladder alot, it would be worth the "investment".
Denis
Randy Capstick
Location: 1980 Ty Weekender, 1984 CD36 Glen Margaret, Nova Scotia, Canada

Ty Boarding Ladder

Post by Randy Capstick »

Hi Seahunt,

Congrats on buying your Ty. Here is a link to a ladder setup made by Greg Ross a few years ago that I intend to use on my Ty eventually. It looks like it would work better as a swim ladder than a permanent mount.

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... =greg+ross

If the link doesn't work search posts by Greg Ross, this was from 12/16/04 titled "Ty Swim Ladder Final Chapter"

It just shows the ladder retracted, but you can get an idea of what it would look like extended. I also have a picture of it extended I could email you if you like.

Good Luck and have fun with YOUR new old boat.

Randy
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello David:

I actually researched the ladder from Mystic Stainless. I liked it a lot although very expensive :!: Unfortunately, I could not see anyway to adapt it to the Ty Weekender. It looks like it requires a specific metal rail that affixes to the toe rail on the gunwale. It also looks like it requires some type of lifeline set up to hold it in place when not deployed.

My Ty has a toe rail but no metal rail on top. The toe rail is, in my judgment, insufficient to support the strain of 200-210 lbs pulling laterally against the toe rail

Randy, the site link worked. Thanks. Somehow I missed that post in my search. It is a nice adaptation of the telescoping ladder. However, I think parts of it are permanently affixed to the deck. I do not think I want to tamper with that type of modification.

Denis, I am going to West Marine tomorrow to look at boarding ladders and will check their website again before going.
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

Seahunt, you might want to check with the owner of the rope ladder on its stability while reboarding...looks like it could be rather difficult for a retired old fart if it doesnt stay still...and add diving equiptment to that?....I'd be looking for a metal one that leans against the boat for stability...
Joe Montana
Member 781

This works for me

Post by Joe Montana »

Sea Hunt, on my Ty daysailer, I use a ladder that looks like #6 on this page: http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=3399141

Serendipitously, I stumbled on an old ladder like this one whose "brackets" fit perfectly over the cockpit coaming (not the toe rail). I position it over the winch so that the winch base helps support the added strain, and when I place a flotation cushion between the brackets and the inside of the coaming to protect the teak it makes a snug, secure fit. I removed the little "legs" that hold the stairs away from the hull, and replaced them with a small fender mounted horizontally, which is easier on the hull. It's not the most elegant solution, but it works perfectly as an occasional swim ladder, and the price is right.

This doesn't solve the safety issue if you were to fall overboard while sailing alone. An inexpensive collapsible plastic ladder folded neatly on the after deck, with a release line that you can reach from the water is not the most high-tech solution, but it -- plus adrenalin -- should help you get back aboard in an emergency.
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Shavdog:

"Retired old fart" :!: Hey, I "resemble" that remark. :wink: I may be retired and if I eat beans, well you know. :( But old :?: Never.

I will not be climbing aboard my Ty with diving gear. I will not be taking any diving gear on board my Ty - just a mask and fins. My reference to "diving gear" was to explain the strength of ladders I am used to climbing with dive gear on. I just want a simple portable, easily deployable ladder that I can use when I am anchored out at Boca Chita and want to go for a swim, jump over the side to examine the hull, clean barnacles, etc.

I will check out West Marine and Defender again but I am sort of leaning towards Wingreen's idea of a few planks of wood (probably 2x4s) and some heavy duty rope. If it works, great. If not, the cost of materials will be minimal.
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Breault5

While we're on the subject...

Post by Breault5 »

My CD30 has a permanent mounted ladder located on the transom. I was wondering has anyone attempted to add teak to the treads for barefoot comfort? I think if I were to screw some wood into the stainless steel it may compromise the strength of the tread. Your thoughts...
wingreen

it takes a little practice...

Post by wingreen »

...but I mean only a *little*. Rope ladders do wobble, but the trick is to push with your feet while pulling yourself into the boat all in one smooth motion. It may take 3 - 4 practice runs before you get it right. Hey, the worst that can happen is that you lose your balance and fall back into the water, then you try it again until you get it right.
D Rush

Ladder on Defenders website

Post by D Rush »

I have read a number of postings mentioning Defender, their prices do seem better than WM.
I have not purchased from Defender but Defender lists a 6 step folding ladder that may be suitable.
It may be worth a phone call or an email to Defender

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... 1&id=35232
Denis
novotny
Location: 1977 Typhoon #1453 and 1966 Pearson Electra #330 "Imagination" in Buffalo, NY

Post by novotny »

jump over the side to examine the hull, clean barnacles, etc.

Sea Hunt, if you find barnacles on your ty its time for a new bottom paint job :)
I my self use the bow pulpit to hoist myself out of water. A slight pull up, swing a leg up and there you are. I am 59, in medium shape and I have no problems doing it.
You should invest in a bow pulpit before anything else, it would solve a few of your anticipated problems. You could save on self furling gear which is really not necessary for a TY, you could feel safer on the bow because even with self furling gear you cant avoid going on the bow, you have something to grab on to when docking and it can be used to get your self out of water with a little practice or even if you ladder (if you get one) fails. Just my two cents. Good luck
novotny
Location: 1977 Typhoon #1453 and 1966 Pearson Electra #330 "Imagination" in Buffalo, NY

Post by novotny »

Besides, in my opinion, the lines of TY are one of the most beautiful lines of all sailboats and spoiling them with any permanently mounted structure is a sin. As i said, just my opinion.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

On the Typhoon we had the rope ladder with plastic rungs. I would always through a clove hitch around the winch so it couldn't slid around. It worked great for anyone in reasonable condition.

We didn't have roller furling or pulpits. If you can manage without, then the TY does look much better without the pulpit. The best reason I could see to have one would be to keep an anchor at the ready. That in itself creates one more bit of clutter for the eye and a chance to catch a sail. I always kept the anchor and rode coiled below in a plastic laundry basket. It was very easy to grab the basket with anchor on top, head up on deck and send it over the side. If you leave the bitter end hanging up and out of the side of the basket you can tie it off to the boat before you let the anchor over the side. It could save the embarrassment of heaving the whole works overboard.

We kept the hank on sails and I loved them. Head sails for the Ty are small, relatively cheap and easily handled. We kept three on board. There was the working jib, a 135 and a big 165 genney. I would assess the day grab the proper sail and hank it on. I always loved those bronze hanks. We always had great sail shape and on days when we could use the big sail we were fast compared to many boats with plain working sails. It was rare that I would end up changing head sails during the day. For the price of a furler and motiving your current sail you could keep it and get a new to the boat wardrobe of headsails.

I made a point of not making any perminate changes to the boat for the first season. I wanted to sort out what would work before I changed anything. I enjoyed the tradition of hanking on and raising the head sails. I did add a boom vang and a Harken traveler. The traveller was lots of fun to play with.

You are going to love your boat, Steve.