Carl Alberg Pearson Electra question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

novotny
Location: 1977 Typhoon #1453 and 1966 Pearson Electra #330 "Imagination" in Buffalo, NY

Carl Alberg Pearson Electra question

Post by novotny »

As I mentioned before, I bought a Pearson Electra this winter. It's sitting snowed in in Michigan, I am picking it up this spring. So, now I have two C. Alberg boats much to my wife's joy.
Has anyone on these boards owned or have any experience with this boat? Thanks.

http://pearsoninfo.net/electra/electra.htm
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

You should check over to the Plastic Classics board. They are heavily into early Pearson boats. The sun is getting warmer every day. You should soon be seeing your new baby emerge from the drifts. Your wife can't possibly be distressed about your having two boats. Tell her it keeps you from drinking, gambling and chasing wild women, Steve.
novotny
Location: 1977 Typhoon #1453 and 1966 Pearson Electra #330 "Imagination" in Buffalo, NY

Post by novotny »

Thanks for the info, while I have tried combining drinking, gambling and wild women with owning two sailboats I have found very little co-operation and understanding with these endevors from others..... :cry:
Jerry Albright
B Plan,
Mobile, Al

Pearson Electra

Post by Jerry Albright »

I am also a big Carl Alberg fan, I have owned 4 Alberg designed boats, a Pearson Electra, CD27, Pearson Commander and presently a CD30 Cutter, B plan.
They have all been excelent boats, the CD30C I sail now gives me the space and comfort below, along with the advantage of a diesel engine I wanted. I just returned from a 4 day trip along the Florida Panhandle with 30 MPH winds on my return trip,and my CD30C was the perfect boat for the trip.
The Electra is a perfect day sailer, and fine for an overnight or weekend trip. As you know there is no standing headroom, and few creature comforts below.That being said, I miss my little Electra more than any other boat I have ownwd. She was easy to single hand, handled like a much larger boat and a pleasure to sail. She was very responsive, and fast for a full keel 23' boat.
If you have any questions concerning this fine Alberg design, Please feel free to E-mail me anytime.

Smooth Sailing
Jerry Albright
CD30C MAGIC II
Mobile Bay
novotny

Post by novotny »

Thanks Jerry. I sent you a PM.
novotny

Post by novotny »

Hi Jerry, my PM to you is stuck in the outbox so this is what I wrote:

Hello Jerry, thank you for your response. I am glad to hear you enjoyed owning your Electra, I have heard same from others. I can't wait to pick up my new Electra, the previous owner took great care of her and did many upgrades. New rudder, all new chainplates, re -done bottom, sandblasted and painted interior, new woodwork on inside, all hardware re-bedded with new backing plates, new main and on and on... and all that for $3000. I don't mean to bragg, but I have to just a little.
My question is about trailering. I own a CD Typhoon and have a trailer for it, a Triad build for a Tanzer 22, my previous boat. I raised the bunks on it, had welded on a new 6 ft winch post and have had no problem launching and retrieving my TY (which I will be selling in the future). well now I have to raise the bunks another 5 or 6 inches and have the marina in Michigan lift the Electra on to it for the 550 mile ride home, oh joy. I don't know if you have any experience with launching the Electra your self but I was wondering if you feel the headstem fitting on the boat is strong enough to be used as base for an attachment for a winch hook to pull out the boat onto a trailer. I see it's well fiberglassed in the peak and I believe it looks strong enough, after all it has to withstand decades of pulling force of the headstay. I am trying to avoid putting a bow eye on because of esthetics and it being a pain in general. Just wondering if you may have an opinion on it. Thanks
Jerry Albright
B Plan,
Mobile, Al

Stemhead Fitting / Trailering

Post by Jerry Albright »

I did not have a trailer for my Electra, so she stayed in the slip. Another option you may want to consider is a trailer tongue extension. That way you can back the trailer in a little deeper and float the boat on instead of winching. I would still use the winch to snug it up, but you would not have to rely solely on the winch.
Of course that would depend on the water depth and the boat launch.
Everything on those early Pearsons was overbuilt, the glass on that boat is thicker and stronger than later models. I think they were unsure of the strength of the glass in those early days. The stemhead fitting would most likely be fine, but I personally would feel more comfortable with a trailer tongue extension, or rollers in lieu of carpeted bunks.
My 2 cents worth.

Smooth Sailing,
Jerry
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Pearson Electra

Post by Kurt »

I didn't see it mentioned in any of the previous posts...but the Pearson Electra is the same hull as the Pearson Ensign...which is one fine boat and still in production if I'm not mistaken. I owned a Pearson Sea Sprite which is similar but not identical. I really enjoyed my SS. Alberg knew his stuff.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Pearson Ensign

Post by Oswego John »

I have a Pearson Ensign sitting on a cradle out in my yard. Its been there for about four years. I haven't looked at it or touched it since it rolled in. I never had the cover off and looked inside. All I know, it needs paint.

That boat is one solid hunk of boat. To me, it looks nuclear proof. I just don't have time to get it ready for splash. Its a shame for it to just sit there. I should probably sell it. I haven't the foggiest idea what it is worth. I did a job for a person and they had no money to pay for the job, so I settled up for the Ensign.

One of our members showed mild interest in it a few years ago. I'm going to see this person at the GLF meeting this Saturday. If he doesn't want it, I'll probably put it on the market.

It, too, is an Alberg design.
O J
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I learned to sail in a Pearson Ensign. What a sweet daysailor. I loved it then and I love it now. Sorry John.....One boat in my family is all I can handle (right now).
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
hebert01
Mattapoisett, MA

Post by hebert01 »

John-

If your contact decides against buying it, please contact me. Our new Ensign Fleet (76, in Mattapoisett MA) is looking to get some young Ensign sailors on the water, and a project boat would be just the vehicle to do so. Depending on its location, and condition/price ratio, we'd be interested in talking with you about it.

Please PM me if you find yourself looking for a new home for your Ensign - even though I'd still encourage you to sail on her a bit first before you decide to sell! You're liable to change your mind. :)

Thanks

Ed Hebert
novotny

Post by novotny »

From what I have seen Ensigns in top condition sell for as much as 12k. These would be the race ready ones with all the bells and whistles. Of course you can pick them up for a song if they need work, like any other boat.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

I just looked at a photo of the Pearson Electra and it looks a lot like my CD22. I should say, my former CD22. She has a new owner. That said, she is in my driveway right now. My husband built a trailer and pulled her out at Elliotts Cut in Charleston (where the current can sink a duck).

He had quite a time getting the boat out. He had to put an additional axel on the trailer and he is not finished yet. He built a tongue extension into the trailer itself. Good luck with it.
novotny

Post by novotny »

trapper wrote:I just looked at a photo of the Pearson Electra and it looks a lot like my CD22. I should say, my former CD22. She has a new owner. That said, she is in my driveway right now. My husband built a trailer and pulled her out at Elliotts Cut in Charleston (where the current can sink a duck).

He had quite a time getting the boat out. He had to put an additional axel on the trailer and he is not finished yet. He built a tongue extension into the trailer itself. Good luck with it.
Hi, thanks for the warning, we shal see. My trailer is a duel axel with 15 inch tires and was build for a 3300 lb Tanzer 22 so weight is not a problem. Electra will sit 5 inches higher on the trailer than my Typhoon which I have launched and retrieved many times. The 5 inch difference in draft may or may not matter. The key is finding a relatively steep ramp which I have where I launch. There may be a tongue extension in my future or even a crane and the end if my trailering days, wish me luck.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

LUCK!
The trailer we used originally had a 3500 lb axle the CD22 is supposed to be 3200 but he had to add another 3500 lb axle.

The first time he tried the trailer started to buckle and he had to come home and add the axle. The boat is now on the trailer and made a 100 mile trip. He is going to fit a keel guide because the lake does not have a travel lift--all wet launch and retrieve. Its been a real learning process.

Sailboat trailers are very tricky. On another completely different boat---I bought a trailer fit for a 26' (can't remember the make--bruce kirby design fin keel) boat to haul my 27 ' Choat (fin keel race boat)--less than 6" draft difference (which is not keel difference) and the kirby boat weighed more. The keel probably weighed more on the Choat.

When the crane loaded the Choat on the trailer the supports started to buckle. We had to have a welder come and reinforce the supports. The boat was hauled less than 100 miles and the aft supports started to separate.

Cross supports had to be added to the aft supports. The boat was then hauled 800 miles and is currently on that trailer without incident.

To launch it, the cross supports will have to be cut off.

Anyway, that was a $500 afternoon for the first welder. My husband did the second welds. (The yard would not let him do the first one)

Hope your haul does better. I guess in the end, if you cant do the work yourself you need to:

Do research to make sure the trailer you have is going to work

Have $$$$ to pay someone to make it work

Have a custom trailer built for that boat before you go--

Finally ---Some--certainly not all- Yards are pretty good with local repeat business, but make their money on one time deals--be prepared! and

again LUCK!!