East Coast help needed.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Lang

East Coast help needed.

Post by Lang »

Hi,

I am going to be in VT for the summer and I hope to get afew difficult to get boat items while there. Hoping that you guys on this forum may be able to help me.

On my list,
14' x 8"x8" spruce timber for bowsprit.
10' of airfoil extruded aluminium for making spreaders.

Is there any recommendations on timberyards for the spruce? For the spreaders, I have tried contacting rigrite but they cant answer my questions or cant be bothered to help me out. What other rigging shops are in that area?

I am also hoping to crew for a CD30/33/36 owner for a weekend, as I am considering to buy one in future(after the subprime mess, hopefully). Does anyone need crew? I have experience sailing TY.

Cheers!
Lang
RayDewick

spreaders

Post by RayDewick »

Try Dwyer Aluminum Mast Co. They are located in connecticut and I have had good service from them.
Ray DeWick
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

I second Dwyer for the extrusion . Good company and customer oriented.

Dont know about the Spruce.

Good Luck
Bill Member #250.
Jimbo
Location: cd 27 malletts bay vt. Cattail cd 14 #65 cd 10 #2251

Post by Jimbo »

Hey lang where in Vt. I have a 27 in Mallets bay. Jimbo :)
Dan & Chris
2007 Melonseed Skiff "Sprout"
Linekin Bay, ME

Post by Dan & Chris »

Jimbo wrote:Hey lang where in Vt. I have a 27 in Mallets bay. Jimbo :)
Jimbo,

We're fairly certain that a CD27 will be our next CD, but we're still gathering info. If you have any thoughts you'd like to share on them, or if you ever find a need for some extra crew this summer, let us know!

Dan & Chris
Lang

Post by Lang »

Jimbo wrote:Hey lang where in Vt. I have a 27 in Mallets bay. Jimbo :)
Burlington. No problem with me driving out an hour or 2. I sure would like to crew on any CD, even same old TY would be fun.

Lang.
Lang

Re: spreaders

Post by Lang »

RayDewick wrote:Try Dwyer Aluminum Mast Co. They are located in connecticut and I have had good service from them.
Thanks, really appreciate that tip.
Lang

Spruce and timberyard?

Post by Lang »

Does anyone know of a timberyard within 500miles of VT?
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Spruce Source

Post by Oswego John »

Lang,

Some pretty nice Sitka spruce on the west coast. Can be shipped.

Good luck,
O J
Lang

I tried.

Post by Lang »

I did try the west coast Sitka Spruce yards. I ask that they pick for me a spar grade and have it crated and ship to Singapore, they refused to do it. They are simply not interested to do that much work for 1 small deal. We are talking $500 for the timber and $300 for the packing and shipping. Whereas their usual overseas trades are in much bigger quantity and value.

I learn that, unless I walk in self pick the exact timber and spreaders, nobody wants to deal with somebody from Singapore. So this trip in summer is an opportunity for me to do that, but I am restricted to the East coast region because of work reasons.

I read that there are some species of trees that produce great spars around the great lakes region. Was hoping that something similar to sitka would be available in timberyards in that region. Would anyone have a recommendation on that?

Cheers!
Lang
Tod Mills

spruce

Post by Tod Mills »

Rather than trying to procure a single piece that large, you might look at laminating several smaller pieces.

This $tuff is the cream of the crop:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/wp/spruce.html

This is probably more affordable. I've done business with them and was very pleased. (didn't buy spruce)

http://www.boulterplywood.com/products.htm
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Spruce

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Lang,

Do you want this 14' x 8" x 8" spruce in one milled log? Have you considered laminating several spruce planks together to create the bowsprit?

The reason that I mention this is because about two years ago, the outfit that I belong to did this. We epoxied sections of spruce together and then hand fashioned all the spars on our 85' schooner. Two masts, two top masts, two main booms, a club foot boom and a 30' bowsprit.

We ran into the same problem that you did. Most of the logs are sent to the mill and sawn into dimensional lumber and then shipped all over the world in units. For us to obtain one piece sitka logs delivered to NYS, the cost was prohibitive. Therefore, we made up our own spars.

So I mention this as an alternative thought.

Good luck,
O J
Lang

Planks vs timber

Post by Lang »

My preference is whole timber, but if thats not available, I would settle for planks. However, 1 company quote me close to $1000 for the quantity that I need. Thats just the planks, packing and shipping add $500. Way too much for me.

So if there are lumber yards in East Coast that may have spruce planks, I appreciate information on that too.
cbrenton
Cape Dory 33, Hull #75
Newington, New Hampshire

Post by cbrenton »

Hi Lang,

Check out Goosebay Sawmill and Lumber in Chichester NH. They have a web site. It's about a three hour drive from Burlington, VT

Charlie Brenton
"Carol Anne"
CD 33
Jimbo
Location: cd 27 malletts bay vt. Cattail cd 14 #65 cd 10 #2251

Post by Jimbo »

Hey Lang
There are a number yards and mills within an hour of Burl. I also know a cabinet maker who could probaby point you in the right direction. Jim