Question regarding a new head.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Michael Heintz
Location: Macht NichtsCD 30 MK IICove MarinaNorwalk, CT Woods Hole MarinaWoods Hole, Ma

Groco HF

Post by Michael Heintz »

Jerry,

I have rebuilt the unit a number of times and agree that the rebuid kit is mickey mouse and expensive. Anyway like Breault5 I have cracks in the housing, in my case just below the pump handle. Not a hugh deal but the water kind of squirts around and looks a bit silly. I have considered just expoxing the cracks and call it a day. I installed a handicap throne for my mother in law at home and have come to really enjoy the added height of it mmmmmm I sure would like that on board :-)
Michael Heintz
Captain Commanding
SV Macht Nichts
CD 30 MKII 004
Norwalk, CT
Woods Hole, MA.

http://www.heintzwasson.com
The Artist is not born to a life of pleasure.
He must not live idle;
he has hard work to perform,
and one which often proves a cross to be borne.
He must realize that his every deed, feeling, and thought
are raw but sure material from which his work is to arise,
That he is free in Art but not in life.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

FWIW I like the Groco HF

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

I replaced a couple of the parts in the pump about 10 years ago. And last year we rebuilt nearly the entire toilet. We did that because the plastic base cracked and I figured it was probably time to rebuild the pump too. Anyway, we replaced the 22-year old plastic base with a new bronze base. That one shouldn't crack (even though it took over 20 years for the plastic one to crack) and I'm hoping it will last the lifetime of the boat. Anyway, the Groco HF model has worked well for us. It still has it's original seat, so I'm sure that'll be the next to go as far as the toilet's concerned. Speaking of toilet seats, we replaced the seats for all 3 toilets in our house just before Christmas. They were all 20+ years old too.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Trawler Joe

Post by Trawler Joe »

I replaced the 20-year-old Groco HF on my CD28 trawler when I bought the boat 2 years ago. It needed rebuilding, and it was new to me, so I just decided to swap it out.

The new HF seems better built than then old, with a bronze base and sturdier T-shaped handle. I expected it to be a piece of cake swap, but the new base has a different bolt pattern which complicated the installation slightly. Other than that, it's serving me well so far.
rtbates

one word of caution

Post by rtbates »

One word of caution on The GROCO HF. and that concerns the pre-stamped rubber gasket that also forms the one way flapper valves for the one way action for the water intake when in FLUSH mode. The flappers are stamped out and as such can and did refuse to function correctly. IE, she would not bring in flush water. The simple fix was to take the gasket out and with a pair of scissors cut away the edge of the flapper slightly so that the flapper portion no longer hangs up on the rest of the gasket.
Randy 25D Seraph #161