Carissa

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Skip

Carissa

Post by Skip »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted. I really haven't had much to say, but now I have good news.

As some of you may remember, I am the owner of Zeida's first CD, formerly named "Bandolera" and that she was damaged in Hurricane Frances.

All this time has gone by and I have kept her in dry storage during it. I'll tell you that the storage bill for those years totals more than I paid for her in the first place, so you may surmise that I do truly love that boat, and yes, it hurt my heart to see her damaged.

Much water has gone under the bridge since that time and life has at times been all-too-interesting, but finally I have good news to report.

First, I met the right woman and had the good sense to marry her. Second, we found a good house at the right price and bought it. Third, and the reason for this post; Carissa is finally on her trailer and comfortably ensconced in our yard awaiting refurbishment.

I'm a self-employed weldor/fabricator by trade and was able to modify a regular boat trailer to haul her. It's really not as difficult as it might seem and I'll enclose some pictures for any who might be curious or interested. These things can be done with almost no actual welding, although that was the approach which I took, for obvious reasons.

I have bought a new mast, boom and all the attendant fittings; still have the sails and motor and many smaller items. Nearly all the damage was cosmetic so she ("Carissa") has no major issues to overcome other than my ability to fit the purchase of materials into the budget, but at least I no longer have storage rent.

For the past couple of years I've been a silent observer of the board, actually pretty tender about having my lovely boat damaged on my watch. Now I feel as though progress will be made and when we (Carmen and I) finish this refurbishment, she'll be better than she was when I got her. I do love this boat.

Thanks for the entertainment and knowlege you've supplied me with. You'll be seeing more of me from now on.

Skip

Zeida, Your baby boat will be okay. You'll see and be happy.

*I'm a bit confused about the posting process so if I posted this twice, I apologize.
Dean Abramson

Super

Post by Dean Abramson »

Skip,

That is all fantastic! Welcome back aboard. Best of luck with the boat.

Congrats. It always pays to have a great mate on one's voyages.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Carl Thunberg

You never forget your first true love

Post by Carl Thunberg »

When she's finally ready (the boat, that is), you'll fall in love all over again. The CD25 is a sweet sailing boat. A bit wet in chop, but that's part of the charm. I sure miss mine, but she's in great hands, as is Zeida's. I firmly believe that our boats have a memory. They know when they've been abused and when they've been loved.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

CD25D trailer

Post by trapper »

Skip,

I am very interested in your plans for a trailer. Please contact me. I have a CD25D that needs to be hauled out as soon as possible. Thanks.
Skip

Trailer

Post by Skip »

Trapper, check your email.

Skip