Mast raising on CD27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

renmihalov

Mast raising on CD27

Post by renmihalov »

Has anyone tried the A-frame approach to mast raising that Guest Jack CD 28 proposed in 2003?

Here's the reference to the drawing and the instructions that he proposed back then. I've tried to email him at that 5 year old address without success.

Posted: Mon 10/20/03 11:25 pm Post subject: Re: More on Mast Raising

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another C27 system

A-Frame sketch http://www.members.aol.com/rhdeurer/mod-r3a.htm
Directions http://www.members.aol.com/rhdeurer/mod-r3b.htm

Jack CD28
Rennie Mihalovic
Greenbelt, Md
Mathias

Self-step CD25

Post by Mathias »

I self-step my mast on my CD25. I use a system called "Mast-up" but I could not find it when I googled it just now. I will look to see if I can find the supplier in my records.

The system I have might be a bit lightweight for a mast for a 28-footer, but the concept is the same as the one for which you found the drawing.

I was nervous as hell the first time I did it and had two people helping me. But now I can do the procedure single-handedly.

I will try to find more info on the system I have. Also ... even the instructions on how to do it, regardless of what hardware you have, is helpful. If I lose track of this thread, please don't hesitate to email me and remind me.

-Mathias
Sunset, CD25
Lake Champlain
D Rush

Googled "Mast-up"

Post by D Rush »

I googled "Mast-Up" and found:

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm ... uct_ID=636

Mathias: Is this the system you have used?
Denis
Mathias

Mast up

Post by Mathias »

I googled and googled. I went through my records (which are normally pretty complete) but I couldn't find the website of my system. Here is one site that shows almost what my system has: the A-frame metal tubing.

http://home.att.net/~sail-trailers/mastlift.html

In my system, there is hardware that allows you to attach the base of the A-frame to my stanchions.

All of these systems share a basic aspect: Leverage. You have to provide some kind of derick. It doesn't have to be the height of the mast, (perhaps slightly more than half? Engineering please!)

I have seen people use their boom attached to a spinnaker ring on the front of the mast. So the derick doesn't even need to be attached to the deck.

Then you attach your boom vang to the derick to haul up (or lower) the mast.

But here is the critical factor in doing this, no matter what system you have: First, your maststep must be some sort of tabernacle system. I hope I am using the right words: a base that will allow pivoting.

And second: leave the shrouds attached (at least the cap shroud, but if you can, the aft lowers) because this will provide the mast with stability athwartships -- or at least toward the height of the procedure.

If you are doing this single-handed, I recommend a calm day. Since the mast will lose stability athwartships, you won't have to worry about it blowing sideways and putting undue pressure on your maststep plate.

I will continue to look for the maker of my system. He was a guy who made just a dozen or so of these a year. It was a side thing for him. He didn't want to get into marketing. Too bad, it is such a simple and effective system.

-Mathias
Sunset, CD25
Lake Champlain
tartansailor

Single-Handed Masting

Post by tartansailor »

Bruce Bingham N.A. in his fine book "The Sailor's Sketchbook"
Seven Seas Press 1983 gives an excellent description, with detailed drawings, on how to rig an apparatus and do the lifting and lowering.
Works great for me on my CD 25.

Dick
barfwinkle

"The Sailor's Sketchbook"

Post by barfwinkle »

Assuming that this book is out of print, would there be any copyright infringement in posting a copy of the mast raising diagrams on this sight?

Inquiring Minds want to know.

Its going to be 70 degrees today and I have to work and the boat is on the trailer. Damn this sucks!
Bill Member #250.
renmihalov

raising the mast on cd27

Post by renmihalov »

Thanks for your suggestions.
I ordered the Bingham book from Amazon on Sunday, and they report it as on the way.
I'll have at least 4 hands to do the raising. But I was worried that 18 feet of 2x4's would snap under the stress of a 32 foot 200+ pound mast/rigging. My contractor buddy who will be one of the four insists that the 2x4's will be up to the task.
Rennie Mihalovic
Greenbelt, Md
renmihalov

raising the cd27 mast

Post by renmihalov »

Unfortunately Bingham's sketchbook methodology requires that I have a pivoting tabernacle mast step, which I don't have. So Jack's 2003 A-frame proposal looks like a plan.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Rennie Mihalovic
Greenbelt, Md
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

mast raising

Post by trapper »

My brother had a MacGregor 26X and raising the mast was easy. I dont have a drawing of it an my description would not be helpful but stepping and unstepping were very easy.

Here is a link to the manual where the rig is pictured and discribed.
http://www.macgregorsailors.com/manuals ... l_2002.pdf
kwf05001
Location: s/v sugar magnolia ('62 seafarer rhode's meridian)----CD admirer

how did it work?

Post by kwf05001 »

did you try the A-frame method?
it seems that if your mast doesn't have a hinge/tabernacle
or isn't llight enough to just stand up like a dinghy's everybody hires a crane...
aren't sailors usually very resourceful?
I am considering trying the A-frame on my seafarer meridian---its a wood mast.....needs varnish
let us know what happened if anything
We're not superstitious, but...
-The Pardey's
A hearty thank you always goes out to the owners of CD's
traditional boats and modern information resources--the best online community I've found
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

More on "A Frames"

Post by Jim Davis »

From the Alberg 30 site.
http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/Spa ... ppingMast/

I have used this rig, a while ago, it works. Be patient and rehearse the operation.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
renmihalov

Mast raising

Post by renmihalov »

The A Frame has, I hope, faced its most stressful test, and survived. I used it to raise the mast about 9 feet from the ground up to the deck. The boat is on the hard. The stress forced the A-frame to bow substantially and frighteningly. But much of the stress came because the mast was outside and to the port of the A frame. The mast is now resting comfortably on the deck, its center of gravity beneath the block. The A frame should be alot more comfortable raising the mast directly upward. I'm an hour away, I believe, from raising the mast into position so that I can re-attach the stays. We didn't get the whole job done in an afternoon because my helpers wanted to watch the NCAA basketball tournament. I hope to get back to the boat yard in the next few days to complete the job. I'll take a picture if it works. I'm the new guy in the boatyard this spring, so my reputation is riding on the success of this mast raising. The project has drawn alot of interest.
Rennie Mihalovic
Greenbelt, Md
Lew Gresham

Post by Lew Gresham »

Weekender
hull #914
renmihalov

The A-Frame worked

Post by renmihalov »

The A-frame worked just like SeaBelle said it would in 2003. Fortunately, I also had two talented helpers who managed to jury rig the mast into position while I cranked the winch. Very exciting. Thanks to those who offered encouragement and suggestions. This board is truly remarkable. I've attached a few photos.
http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk16 ... C_0012.jpg
Rennie Mihalovic
Greenbelt, Md