Attention Sea Hunt

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

VidaliA
"VidaliA"
Hull # 379
Wilton, N.H.

boat or no boat

Post by VidaliA »

Boat or no boat Robert gave up his Maine lobster for my wife, Rebekah, during the 2007 Maine cruise, what a guy!!! However in order for us to celebrate again you better get a boat and start your journey north soon.
Good luck.
Bob Luby

It's time to do the deed.

Post by Bob Luby »

Dear Sea Hunt

I've seen your postings. You have gathered a lot of data. Now it's time for a decision. What is the smalllest boat that wil let you do what you want to do? Let;s say that the answer is "CD25"

You have just completed step one.

Now go to Yacht World or Soundings and look at them - Or look at the listings on this site. Contact the owners and start bargaining. and looking. You will soon learn the target price of the boat.
Go to your bank and make sure you have that much money in your checking acocunt.

Narrow it down to 2 choices. and pick the better of the two.

Remember. You do not have to pick out the best boat in the entire universe, You merely have to pick out the better of the two choices. Make an offer which is somewhat less than the boat cash in your bank account. The seller may bargain th price up slightly.
Let him. If the counteroffer is less than your boat cash., accept it and buy the darn boat.

You are wasting time that could be spent sailing, painting the bottom, varnishing the teak, drinking beer in some secluded cove,
perusing the West Marine Catalog etc etc.

I think you already know what you need to know, so........

Go Buy Your boat ! (already)!
________
Cheap Glass Pipes
Last edited by Bob Luby on Feb 11th, '11, 04:04, edited 1 time in total.
Ron M.

get 'er done

Post by Ron M. »

please don't let another season pass by.......no excuses !
________
NO2 VAPORIZERS
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:46, edited 1 time in total.
Dean Abramson

That's shameful

Post by Dean Abramson »

Robert gave up his Maine lobster for my wife, Rebekah
Well, I hope you enjoyed the lobster, and that Rebekah is happy now with Robert. ;-)
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Bob:

I sent you a PM. I share your frustation. I have been doing what you have suggested for many, many months. As they say, if I did not have bad luck I would not have any luck at all. :cry:

The only good news is I do get to go sailing pretty much whenever I want. I belong to a sailing club where I race on Saturdays and can rent/charter sailboats whenever. It is convenient, but I still want the "pride of CD ownership".

Dean, all I can say is "shame, shame, shame". :wink: You obviously dipped in early to the Guinness stash I sent you. :)
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

She's not a CD25D but....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Sea Hunt,

This CD30K is sitting in the boatyard where I keep my boat in Morgan, NJ. She's for sale. Take a look at:

http://www.ablboats.com/details.asp?ListingID=76530

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
novotny
Location: 1977 Typhoon #1453 and 1966 Pearson Electra #330 "Imagination" in Buffalo, NY

Post by novotny »

:( ...............
ronkberg

QUICKLY, look at this one just listed !!!!

Post by ronkberg »

YIKES Robert, this looks like it has your name on it, and it is close to your home.

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=22380

MOVE FAST OR YOU'LL MISS WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE BEST ONE LISTED. I AM CLOSE TO BUYING IT MYSELF BUT MY WIFE WON'T LET ME OWN TWO BOATS.

BE QUICK.......GET CASH......TAKE A BIG BREATH AND BUY...... :(
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

And all the things "wrong" with it can be fixed by someone with zero skill: Bottom paint, brightwork and new halyards.

Don't let this one get away.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Ron:

I believe this particular 1979 CD 25 is located in Yorktown, Virginia which is about 1,050 miles from me. I may ask the seller for some photos, if available, but that would be a very long way for me to tow a large sailboat - particularly given the fact I have never towed anything ever.

I do appreciate your efforts on my behalf Ron and giving me a heads up when you see something that may be within my parameters.

Thanks,
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Cathy:

I apologize. I did not see your post until just now.

A CD 30 :?: Cathy, Cathy, Cathy.

Apparently, no one including you takes me seriously. I AM A TADPOLE SAILOR :!:

I think a CD 27 or CD 28 is probably too much for me to single hand with my current limited skills. A CD 30 ketch is, without question, way way beyond my current limited abilities.

I am going to look at a CD 27 in middle Florida this weekend and possibly also a CD Ty Weekender. I believe I would be comfortable with single handing the Ty and would use it as a "trainer". The CD 25D would be (is) my goal, although I also would eventually be comfortable with a CD 27.

This CD Ty Weekender has a "float on" trailer and the asking price seems reasonable (if hull, rigging, sails, etc. are as advertised). I would not really use/need the trailer except as transport from Palm Beach to Miami (100 miles/2 hrs).
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Tod M

a thousand miles isn't that far

Post by Tod M »

I live in Ohio but I bought my boat from a guy in western Montana. She started out in San Diego, then moved to Washington, then Montana, and now Ohio.

I used to sail with a guy who lives in Pennsylvania but bought his boat from someone in Texas.

My nephew (Ohio) bought a Catalina 25 in Vermont. He drove there and picked it up over a weekend.

Where there is a will, there is a way.
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Tod:

It's not the distance. I've got 180,000 plus on my Chevy truck mostly from driving to look at CDs :!: :(

It's towing a large boat on a big trailer for 1,000 miles when I have never towed anything in my life.

I just received pixs of CD 25 and trailer. CD 25 looks to be in good condition from pixs. The trailer is a rig I have never seen before for trailering a boat. It is a tandem axle trailer mfg by "Leonard Trailers" in Ohio. The bed of the trailer is wood planking. There are 4-5 "jack stands" apparently welded into a box like frame that is somehow attached to the wood planking and that supports the hull.

The trailer itself looks sturdy. However, only 4 jack stand supports (and one at the bow) sure seems like it would be potentially unstable - particularly on I-95 at 60 mph.
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
marilou

Sell the trailer - sail the boat

Post by marilou »

You could fly to Newport News/Williamsburg air port for about 175 Roundtrip
You can put the boat in marina storage on the trailer for $65 per month.
You could sail around the bay.
You can obtain initial insurance at lower price than you can in Florida.
I know someone looking for a trailer in New Bern - you could rent the trailer - sale the trailer - get the trailer to New Bern, NC -
You can round up some people on the board to make the trip this fall. Follow the boats heading south. Kittiwake?
Slip rates are about $100- month to month basis.
Plenty of surveyors in area, if neccesary.
Willing to help...
Last edited by marilou on Mar 7th, '08, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.
mahalocd36

Post by mahalocd36 »

Sea Hunt wrote:Hello Tod:
However, only 4 jack stand supports (and one at the bow) sure seems like it would be potentially unstable - particularly on I-95 at 60 mph.
Take a look at the pictures of Mahalo on a trailer, she's made this
trip several times now. Granted they are more than jack stands, but there are only 4 supports, none at the bow.
With that full keel, where's she gonna go?

http://www.sailmahalo.com/local_html/movehome.html
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com