Hi every body! Need a good michigan surveyer for CD 25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

hobo_hut

Hi every body! Need a good michigan surveyer for CD 25

Post by hobo_hut »

Hello,
I just joined this board, I heard it was the place to come for knowledge about cap dorys. Im looking at getting a CD 25. This will be the biggest boat ive boughten so the process is new to me. I found one in michigan that i like. I would like to have a survey done on the boat and want to know if anyone knows of any good surveyors in the muskegon area of michigan?

Also, Im going to be looking at the boat this weekend, what are some specific things I should look for when checking out the boat. I have done some searching on the topic already, but didnt seem to find a whole lot.

Thanks for anyones help in advance,
David van den Burgh

Torresen Marine

Post by David van den Burgh »

I can't recommend anyone, but you might check with Torresen Marine out of Muskegon. They might have a list of names and a few they'd recommend.
tartansailor

DIY Survey of a CD 25

Post by tartansailor »

Grab the rudder and yank aft as hard as you can.

Put a level athwart ships (cockpit seats) to level the boat, then pour some water on the deck forward of the winches to see if the water will flow overboard.

Check the outboard engine mount for rigidity.

Check out the winches for the correct handles.

look behind the fuse panel.

If original, assume that the depth and speed instruments do not work. If you need to replace them you will need fiberglass work to accommodate new sizes.

Pull the round teak discs and check the backing plates of bases of the standing rigging for rust.

You will want a good 150 genny to make that baby rock.

Bring a fully charged 12v battery so you can check out the lights.

I really like my CD 25. It is a Sailor's Sailboat.
hobo_hut

Post by hobo_hut »

Thanks for the replies, I will check out all those things mentioned when I see the boat this weekend.
The boat is being sold through a broker and early this week the broker sent out to me, through the mail, a copy of a recent survey that has been done. How recent I dont know, he simply said in an email that he sent me a recent survery. Ill let you all know how recent once it get here, hopefuly today. Some of the books I have been reading say that I should get my own survey done no matter how recent the borker's survey is. Is the true or not?
Carl Thunberg

Insurance

Post by Carl Thunberg »

While I agree with Dick on the DIY survey when deciding whether you want to make an offer on a boat and is a great way to tell right away if you should walk away, your insurance carrier will require that you get the boat surveyed. So, do the DIY survey to see if you're still interested. Make an offer, contingent on successful survey, then get the boat surveyed prior to purchase because your insurance carrier will require it anyway.

However, when I bought my old CD25, the seller was moving to Japan the next week and we needed to close the deal fast. In that instance, I did the DIY survey and bought the boat first and then had it surveyed for insurance. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this to anyone else, but it was a real confidence builder when the survey identified the exact same deficiencies that I had found on my own. I don't think I would have done the same thing on a boat with more complex systems (e.g. inboard diesel). Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Russell

Post by Russell »

Thats very nice of the broker to send you the survey that has already been done. Sometimes they will even withold those until an offer is made. If its somewhat recent it shows that perhaps he isnt trying to hide anything (if he wouldnt show the survey until you made an offer I would be skeptical).

As for hiring a surveyor for a prepurchase survey, the nessesity of that goes up with boat size and price as well as personal confidence in your ability to survey it yourself. Myself I dont think I would bother with a survey on a CD25, but its boarderline. Not having an inboard deisel or complex systems means your primarily looking for structural issues.. deck delamination, standing rigging, etc.. most things should be glaringly obvious. But since this is your first big boat, a surveyor will help not only in identifying potential problems, but a good surveyor will educate you in the process as well. The surveyor should encourage you to be present for the survey.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Doug Hill

Michigan Surveyor

Post by Doug Hill »

I have used Steve Dake, from Spring Lake on several occasions.
616-847-1530
Doug Hill
hobo_hut

Post by hobo_hut »

Thanks, ill give him call. Im going to take a look at the boat this saturday.
vjasinski

Post by vjasinski »

We used Steve Dake on two surveys, one a Pierson Ariel, and the other an Alberg 30. He knows these boats and gave us a very thorough survey. Highly Recommended.
Vince Jasinski
hobo_hut

Post by hobo_hut »

Thanks for recommending Steve. He seems really knowledgable and thorough.