CD 22 dodger

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

BillNH

CD 22 dodger

Post by BillNH »

I'm looking into building or having a dodger made for my CD 22...

1.) Does anyone have any experience building a Sailrite dodger kit? Positive or negative comments welcome.

2.) Any recommendations for a fabricator, preferrably with CD 22 experience (and patterns) or else in the northern New England area (Mass-NH-Maine)...

Thanks!
Bill
David van den Burgh

Sailrite Dodger

Post by David van den Burgh »

Bill,

I'm in the midst of building a Sailrite dodger for our CD36. We have constructed the frame, patterned and cut the material, and now need to begin sewing and assembly. I can offer some observations on the process thus far.

The directions are clearly written and fairly easy to follow. Reading through them a couple times before beginning to get an idea of the steps and measurements involved helps. I also have the two-disc CD-ROM covering dodger construction, which has been helpful.

The kit seems to be very complete. So far we've had everything we need. Of course I won't know for sure until the project's complete. The rep at Sailrite made it clear that we could send back unused pieces or exchange them, if necessary. Sailrite's customer service is fantastic.

I purchased the hot knife that Sailrite sells, and it's one slick tool. Depending on your budget and how serious you are about other sewing projects, it might be worth the investment.

The patterning material works, but it's a bit flimsy. If I were making the pattern again, I think I'd go to my local home improvement store and pick up a heavy plastic dropcloth. I'd also use a less adhesive tape for temporarily securing the patterning material to the frame. The tape that came with the kit was much too sticky and difficult to work with.

I'm not incredibly keen on the minimal crown that's formed into the center piece of each bow. Most custom dodgers have a nice smooth crown that makes for a dodger that follows the contours of the boat. Sailrite's bows are a tad flat and boxy by comparison.

The advantages of the Sailrite dodger over a custom-built dodger are the price and features you're able to build in with the money you save. We've added side grab bars, leather reinforcement, extra support struts, high-quality window material, and thicker stainless bows for less than the price of a custom-built dodger. If your labor is cheap and you have the desire and time, it's probably a good deal.

I've done a lousy job of documenting the project, but here's a photo of the frame construction.

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

WOW

Post by Oswego John »

David,

That is one sweet looking boat. Click on the picture and see what i mean.

O J
Last edited by Oswego John on Feb 22nd, '08, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
bottomscraper

Re: CD 22 dodger

Post by bottomscraper »

BillNH wrote:I'm looking into building or having a dodger made for my CD 22...

1.) Does anyone have any experience building a Sailrite dodger kit? Positive or negative comments welcome.
I built my own dodger using materials all from Sailrite, and watched their video, etc. I did not buy a 'kit' as I was making it to match our existing frame, but have had nothing but good experiences with Sailrite so I'm sure their kit is fine. They will make right anything that's not and help you out if you call/email.

There are a couple of old threads on this topic with pictures.
http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... r+complete

This is not a project you can do on a home sewing machine...too many layers and too thick plastic (I used strataglass, tough stuff). A industrial walking foot machine is a must. At times I was stitching through several layers of sunbrella and strataglass. My
home (high quality, also with walking foot) machine could not have handled it.

I would also recommend going to the more expensive thread. The thing that fails on most dodgers/biminis is the stitching first. Spring for their Profilen or Tenera thread. It's stronger and more UV resistant than the normal stuff. I've worked a lot with both and it's really not more difficult once you get used to it.

Any questions let me know!

Melissa
Last edited by bottomscraper on Feb 24th, '08, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
bottomscraper

hot knife

Post by bottomscraper »

Oh, and I definitely agree with David - spring for the $$ hotknife if you can. I previously had their cheaper hot knife for all my projects (cushions, winch covers, sheet bags, chafing gear, etc). Then I sprung for the engel after much mental wrangling ($100 for a hotknife!) Man, what a difference. Cuts through sunbrella like butter, leaves no burn marks, etc. I knew I'd be using it on lots of projects. For just one project I doubt it's worth it though.

Melissa
Last edited by bottomscraper on Feb 24th, '08, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

CD22 dodger

Post by trapper »

I have a beautiful dodger for a my CD22 that I did not build. I also have a bimini that I did not build. I am attaching some photos. I got these from another CD22 owner. She did not have the poles. I have ordered the poles for the dodger from Island Canvas, the maker of the dodger but I still dont have the bimini poles. We will have to try to reverse engineer them. I have made a pattern for the bimini which I will gladly share with you. I will try to make a pattern of the dodger if you wish. The poles should be here in 2 weeks. The poles and hardware were $250.00

Here are photos of what I have.
Bimini:
http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb14 ... 20PROJECT/
Dodger: (las page of photos)
http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb146/ftrapp/QT3/
BillNH

Thanks for the good suggestions & advice...

Post by BillNH »

Thanks for the good suggestions & advice... I do have a heavy-duty walking foot machine, and have progressed in my sewing through some basic covers, bags & sail repair. I'm inclined to have a go at this dodger myself. It might be a slow process, but I'm pretty sure I can get it to come out fine.

The dodger construction CD ROM seems to be popular - does anyone have one they'd be willing to loan out for a few days so I can preview this project?

Thanks,
Bill