Is Breezy for sale?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Clay:

As luck would have it, I will be at or near Robinhood Marine next week as part of the CDSOA Maine cruise.

I will be aboard Brian Carroll's Robinhood/CD 36 "Solmar". It is my understanding "Solmar" is docked or moored at or near Robinhood Marine. I hope to be able to look at a few CDs while in port at Robinhood.

Fair winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
carsail1260

25D Prices

Post by carsail1260 »

Hi Robert,
Hate to disagree with you, but I just got off soldboats.com and here are the highest prices paid for 25D's in the past couple of years. I didn't write down the list prices, just the dates, State & sold price. 1982 in CA 12/06 for $22,000; 1985 in CT 2/05 for $22,000, 1984 in RI 6/07 for $18,500, 1983 in MI 5/04 for $21,900; 1985 in Ct 9/05 for $19,900.
Kurt & Carolyn Thomas
"YOLO" 1983 Cape Dory 25D
drb9

Post by drb9 »

When you google Mike Hunter and Cape Dory, you find this post from Dec. 26, 2006:

Hi, My name is Mike Hunter, I'm from san diego, I am currently in Australia after sailing my cape dory 25D out here. I am interested in coming back home and buying something like a cal 20, get some private sponsors, and sail from SD to Hawaii for charity. I've been thinking about donating to something like Wounded Warrior that is nonprofit that helps injured soldiers coming back from Iraq. I'll be back in San Diego on Jan. 11th. Let me know if anyone has any thoughts including selling a cal 20 for a reasonable price. I plan on paying for the boat and provisions from my own pocket-all money raised going to charity. I am an ocean lifeguard in San Diego and would plan on doing the trip next Oct. thanks

http://www.network54.com/Forum/136221/t ... sibilities

When you go to this link, there's also a link to send him an email, in case anyone is interested.
Clay Stalker

Prices for CD25Ds

Post by Clay Stalker »

Hi Robert:

Just an FYI....if you can find a good solid CD25D for under 18K you should be jumping on it. In my experience of searching for and buying boats (more than I would like to admit) I found these to be similarly priced as CD27s, sometimes even more. Many reasons for that, including John Vigor's narrative in his book "25 Sailboats" and the fact that this is a small boat, easily handled, that is rugged and sails well. It has become a bit of a "cult" boat, which drives up the prices a bit. While I personally prefer the 27 for it's extra waterline and displacement, the interior of the 25D makes lots of sense for most coastal cruisers. I looked at many 25Ds before buying my 27, and some of them had badly delaminated cockpit soles and other problems....these could be bought for 15-18K. As with most CDs, the good ones go fast, and good CD25Ds often sell in the low 20s with a slightly higher asking price.....
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
oldragbaggers

Breezy was our neighbor for some years

Post by oldragbaggers »

We sat next door to Breezy for about 4 years at Marina Village in San Diego. She was owned at the time by Phillip Geyer. He and friend Frank Kramer sailed the heck out of her to the islands off the southern California coast. I find all this talk about her interesting, and wonder what Phillip would say if he saw that sale price!!
Lance & Becky Williams
Happily retired and cruising aboard our dreamboat, Anteris
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/anteris/
https://www.facebook.com/oldragbaggers
Noel Heslop
Location: Cape Dory 25D #141, "Breezy", Lake Macquarie, East Coast of Australia

Is Breezy For Sale

Post by Noel Heslop »

Hello Everyone,
Just to let you know that Breezy 25D, is now moored out the front of my place at Lake Macquarie, New South Wales, OZ. Breezy is a beautiful yacht, and everyone remarks on her looks. They are surprised when I say Mike sailed her singled handed from the US West Coast, went aground in Fiji etc.

To answer your questions, well price I am happy with, but Mike has taken a hit with Tax, Customs and quarantine charges. Price I think is for Mike to disclose, but it is at the high end of the price ranges mentioned. $37K US on yachtworld was clearly erroneous. Mike gave Breezy a real going over before attempting a single handed voyage. New rigging, new 4 x quantum sails, new yanmar 10hp 1GM etc. The Wind Vane is being sold separately by www.lamoore.com.au. Mike's Tinker was also for sail separately which I also bought.

I was delighted in how well she sails, as I have not sailed a yacht before, let alone bringing her up from Sydney with a friend Glen Picasso. Leaving Pittwater at 1.15am after the southerly buster had passed through at midnight was somewhat awe inspiring. A quick 7.5 hour trip.

I have been looking to buy a yacht for 2 years, solidly the last few months, 3 others were sold when I enquired, so I bought Breezy on day 3 she was for sale with Lamoore's.
Noel Heslop CD25D #141 "Breezy"
Clay Stalker

Congrats

Post by Clay Stalker »

Congratulations....great boat!
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Noel,

Congrats and welcome to the board!

Breezy is a great boat with a wonderful history and lots of followers here.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Welcome aboard!

Post by Joe Myerson »

Noel,

Thanks so much for posting the latest news on Breezy's fate. And congratulations on buying a wonderful boat (of course, as owner of a 25D, I'm not exactly objective on the subject).

Welcome to the Cape Dory board. Look around and ask questions--you'll find people here with a lot of experience to share (present company excluded).

And, should you decide to complete Breezy's interrupted circumnavigation--please keep us posted. (Do so in any case; there can't be too many 25Ds in Oz.)

All the best,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Noel Heslop
Location: Cape Dory 25D #141, "Breezy", Lake Macquarie, East Coast of Australia

Thank you fellow Cape Dory Owners

Post by Noel Heslop »

Thanks All,

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Completing Breezy's circumnavigation is on the back burner while I actually learn to sail her competently with my best mate (my wife).

So, I am looking forward to joining you all "on the Board" as I get a handle on things. Tomorrow continues another get to know Breezy day. Remove the huge anchor (35LB Plough or something) and 100ft of medium/large chain that Mike had, as it nearly broke my back pulling in on board. My friends tell me to use the stern 20lb plough, with some chain and rope up front, which sounds good to me. Replace the stern with a sand anchor to suit the lake which is sand (and mud). Lake Macquarie is actually about 4 times the size of Sydney Harbour.

Also, I will sign up over the weekend to be officially a CD member, and buy some CDSOA sloppy joes for my wife and I for starters.

My wife Jenell and I did home (and car exchanges) in Oregon and Washington State in 2006, and very much enjoyed meeting the locals, and the friendships that we made. We are hoping some will make a visit to see us down under, where the sun shines in the North.
Noel Heslop CD25D #141 "Breezy"