When did CD go to White?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

MarcMcCarron

When did CD go to White?

Post by MarcMcCarron »

When viewing CD's on the net I notice that some
interiors are white instead of teak (I guess?)
When did CD offer this option? What was the material
they used....was it formica? Has anyone refit their
CD to brighten up the interior or is this sacrilege?
If so how did you do it?

I own a CD30K that's in nice shape but the interior is a
bit dark.......
MARC MCCARRON
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Don't forget that these boats were semicustom built. The interior sides of the doghouse (where the portlights are) is fiberglass on our CD32, a feature you won't find on most Cape Dorys. That was requested by the boat's original owners, who were buying their 4th Cape Dory when they purchased their (our) CD32. They thought that the fiberglass in place of the teak in that area would make the boat's interior brighter and they were right (in my opinion anyway). That's not the only change they had made during the boat's construction. So when you put two or more CDs side by side (especially of the same model), you're bound to find some differences.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Boyd

Formica

Post by Boyd »

Hi All:

A limited number of interior panels on my boat in the kitchen, head, and engine cover areas are an off white formica trimed with teak. It gives relief to what would be a vast unbroken expanse of teak and makes them much more cleanable.

I say go with what works for you.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

When I got my CD30 the interior teak around the portlights had deteriorated badly from water leakage. I removed and replaced it with an exterior beadboard plywood and painted it a light tan semi gloss. I think it brightens the interior, and cleans easily. Although not the traditional CD teak, beadbord was traditionally used on all kinds of vessels. I've had many compliments on it's look. Beadbord is now available in polymer material that paints well and isn't affected much by moisture.
________
Mercury Park Lane
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:45, edited 1 time in total.
David Perry

Post by David Perry »

In the early 80's Cape Dory made an attempt to "lighten up" the interiors by using formica type of panels. In the first few 36's and 33's they were used on the back rests and the cabin and chart tables. This was more expensive to do as the teak plywood was purchased as a complete sheet and the formica had to be glued to the plywood, thus a two step process. However, it was perceived as sacrilege, and that the company was cheapening the boats! Thus complete teak cabins were continued.
With the Robinhood 36, several boats have been built with the white laminate in the area of the port holes which does make the boat feel larger and lighter. But every time we have built one for a former Cape Dory owner the teak has been preferred.
Ben Thomas

Post by Ben Thomas »

http://www.photoworks.com/photo-sharing ... _pml&cb=PW

Whoops, Guilty as charged!
After living with the all teak interior for quite a few years, and after living with some what damaged, scratched laminate that came with the boat apparently previous owners did not have a cutting board I took the plunge and removed old laminate and replaced with new. The engine hatch was de-laminating so that got replaced as well.
Then I looked at the overhead (ports) This is something that after starting I had to ask myself why did I start!
I removed the ports to get to the teak laminate, so I could under lay the laminate. Ports on top, to hard to cut around them and would not look good. Removed teak veneer from plywood and glued on laminate, a close match to existing color of headliner.

Ports are very difficult to remove, a lot of time and patience are required!
Resealed and no leaks. Took the opportunity to clean them up.
The interior is too me a lot "lighter" and I like it.
I like to call it "custom" or "personalized?" or thank God I'm not retired yet!
Best regards, Ben
Stan W.

White bulkheads?

Post by Stan W. »

Has anyone gone so far as to paint or laminate their bulkheads white? The "Herreshof look" has its own pedigree and on my '79 the "teak" is just laminate to begin with so it would not be like I was covering real wood. Anyone out there with pics?
Derek Matheson

Painting the teak

Post by Derek Matheson »

On the CD28, I painted the vertical panels under the seats in the cabin, adding a couple openings for doors (later). Removed the port water tank, so now have better inside storage. Makes the cabin much brighter. You don't feel like you're in a cave.
Carl Thunberg

Check out this recent post

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Hey Stan,

Check out this recent post in the buy/sell forum. This CD30 is mostly white inside, including the bulkheads. It really looks bright. I have no idea if this was painted teak veneer or left fiberglass like Cathy said. I really like the look, though. HHhhmmmm.

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=22263
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Great job Ben!

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Ben Thomas wrote:http://www.photoworks.com/photo-sharing ... _pml&cb=PW

.........Ports are very difficult to remove, a lot of time and patience are required!
Resealed and no leaks. Took the opportunity to clean them up.
The interior is too me a lot "lighter" and I like it.
I like to call it "custom" or "personalized?" or thank God I'm not retired yet!
Best regards, Ben
Ben,

Your boat is gorgeous! You did a great job.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Ben Thomas

Thanks Cathy! Now the blisters

Post by Ben Thomas »

The only thing left to do is deal with some blisters on the starboard side of bottom this spring. I'll be using the west system epoxy and barrier coat. Not looking forward to that!
The odd thing about that it, is they are only on the starboard side, port side clean, rudder clean(both sides)
Some one asked which side of the slip am I on. And I should alternate sides to the slip. Sun exposure. Milagro lies with her starboard side to slip, which is facing North.
Go figure. Any opinions?
Best regards, Ben