tricks of the trade

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

SPIBob

tricks of the trade

Post by SPIBob »

Thought some of y'all might chuckle or cringe (or both) at this maneuver. First we see a Contessa 32 for sale. If you click on the image to enlarge, it's obvious there are some rust issues in the keel ballast area.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1596267/0

This may have been the reason it is advertised as having a "huge price reduction". But that apparently didn't attract a buyer, so the owner tried another broker. This is how the new broker solved the rust problem. Can you believe it?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1595430/0

I guess it worked. The boat is listed now as "sale pending".
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Like our Cape Dorys, the Contessa 32 has internally encapsulated lead ballast. So I don't think that's rust. I think that brown stain on the bottom of the keel is just mud or slime stains. Our boat gets a similar brown stain, and that's on top of the brown bottom paint, because at low tide she sits on the bottom in her slip. The only real way to find out for sure is to go take a look.

CLICK HERE to see the specifications for the Contessa 32.
Dean Abramson

I love it

Post by Dean Abramson »

Bob,

That is a riot! I have to admit, as a commercial photographer: been there, done that.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Bill Sonntag

Post by Bill Sonntag »

At least they parked an Alfa Romeo in front of the boat - could be worse.

Bill Sonntag
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

Yet another good reason not to buy too large a boat. If you own a 50-footer, then you have to buy a motorhome to park in front of it before you can sell it.
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
The Patriot

Post by The Patriot »

Dean Abramson wrote: ... If you own a 50-footer, then you have to buy a motorhome to park in front of it before you can sell it.
If you knew much about my ancient '93 Buick and its condition, you'd know that the boat should be "parked" in front of the car, instead of the other way around. However the car performs adequately each Spring when transporting bottom-painting gear.
Marc Theriault

The Contessa had been repaint!

Post by Marc Theriault »

Bob and al,

If you look carefully you will see that the boat had been repaint, you will remark that the water line is gone.

It's a possibility that the keel was made with iron on the early Contessa 32 ,on my Contessa 26 the keel is made with it and the builder change later for lead i have the same stains. In my case it's not a major issue.

Marc
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

hi

Post by winthrop fisher »

they sail nice and faster then others.....winthrop