Best bottom paint/hard dinghy

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ben Thomas

Best bottom paint/hard dinghy

Post by Ben Thomas »

I have a Rich Passage "Minto" dinghy, wonderful little sailing dinghy.
After pulling it out for the winter I noticed small bubbles (Blisters?)
at and below the water line where the paint had lifted, its in my shop now and I am in the process of sanding and cleaning in prep for a more effective coating. The glass/ sub-strate is in fine shape under paint. I don't really want to use an abaltive paint, as once I start then I am stuck with continuing use, Since it is beached frequently.
There must be a paint out there that is for use under the waterline.
I have searched the Petit & Interlux sites but all I've found is applications for above the water line. The two parts are listed as above water line.
Any suggestions? I am not sure what paint is on the hull now, but above the water line it is in great shape.
Ben
Ed Haley

VC Performance Epoxy by Interlux

Post by Ed Haley »

Ben:
For bottom painting the bottom of hard dinghys and small sailboats that are dry-sailed or on a mooring, I recommend the 2-part VC Performance Epoxy by Interlux for several reasons. The paint can be applied with a brush, by rolling or by spraying. It takes about an hour or so to dry but has a 4-5 hour longevity in the pot. It hardens into a highly sandable surface and can be used to cover previously epoxied repairs to the hull or deck.

The best part for us CD owners is that when dry it is the closest match to our CD off-white that I've seen. I regularly use it to repair small dings in hulls or decks.

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/

It comes with 1 quart of resin and a quart of hardener, roughly, so figure that in your figuring.

One negative is that it's a thin liquid so several coats are required for good coverage. But it's a very hard paint and can withstand beaching as good as the best. Maybe it is the best, who knows.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

2 Part VC Performance Epoxy By Interlux

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Ed and all,

This paint that you mention is something that I might be looking for.

You say that it can be sprayed. You also mention that it is a rather thin liquid. Does its viscosity have to be farther reduced for spraying or can it be used as is after mixing parts A and B?

Is acetone okay to use as a reducer/cleaner, or did you have to purchase a special thinner from Interlux?

In your opinion, do you think this paint's special niche is for enhanced performance, (racing) or is it suitable for a boat, such as a ty, that is on a mooring or tied up all season at a slip?

Making plans and about ready to swing into action in a few weeks.

O J
Doug Fallin

Reducer/Solvent

Post by Doug Fallin »

John,
I would use Styrene as a reducer. You can use Acetone as a solvent for clean up but when used as a reducer it leaves the finish softer that would Styrene. Also, in equal quantity, Styrene thins and sprays better.
Ben Thomas

Bottom paint

Post by Ben Thomas »

Gentleman, as always...thank you!
I'll be going to that link Ed and check it out.
Best regards, Ben
Ed Haley

No. Do not thin! Use as is.

Post by Ed Haley »

OJ and Doug:
The 2 part epoxy is not thinned at all. It has about half or a third the consistency of varnish by following the 1:1 mixing ratio. But when painted, it builds fast. I used it recently to encapsulate a steel centerboard for a CD14. It can be sanded as smooth as a baby's @$$ and then you can add more paint where needed.

I had a chunk out of the bow of a CD14 I bought last year. I filled it using West System with filler and sanded it. Then I painted it with Interlux VC Performance 3 times and waited a couple of days. Then I sanded it smooth. It's really hard to see any color difference from the surrounding area while it's in the garage (I haven't had it out on a sunny day yet).

If you plan to keep it on a mooring, there's a dinghy wax with antifouling properties that you can apply to keep the slime off the bottom.

Ben, it's ideal for a hard dinghy but I don't believe you can paint it over anything but gelcoat or epoxy. Next summer I plan to use this paint to address stress cracks after I open and fill them with Duraglass. There's a project.
:wink:
Ed Haley

In case you can't find the literature

Post by Ed Haley »

It was buried in the site.

VC Performance Epoxy
Product Details
Product Description

VC Performance Epoxy is a two-part Teflon® bearing epoxy that has a hard, slick finish ideal for use on the underwater surfaces of high performance powerboats and racing sailboats. Teflon® adds lubricity and eases wet sanding and burnishing.

VC Performance Epoxy's hard, stain-resistant finish is also ideal for rack-stored and trailered boats or boats that are kept in the water not requiring antifouling protection. VC Performance Epoxy has no antifouling or foul release properties.

Application Details - VC Performance Epoxy
Area Below water
Finish/Sheen Semi-gloss
Converter/Curing V128
Number of Coats: 3-4 as needed
Method of application: Brush / Roller / Airless Spray / Conventional Spray
Available colors: View color chart and sales codes
Pack sizes: 1 US Quart / 1 US Gallon
Suitable for high speed boats? YES
tartansailor

Why Paint

Post by tartansailor »

Ben,
If I were in a similar circumstance, I would screw a 1/8" sheet
of black polypropylene to the bottom.
That plastic is also used in the wear surface of top quality skis.

Dick
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: In case you can't find the literature

Post by Oswego John »

Ed Haley wrote:It was buried in the site.

VC Performance Epoxy
Product Details
Product Description

VC Performance Epoxy is a two-part Teflon® bearing epoxy that has a hard, slick finish ideal for use on the underwater surfaces of high performance powerboats and racing sailboats.

VC Performance Epoxy's hard, stain-resistant finish is also ideal for rack-stored and trailered boats or boats that are kept in the water not requiring antifouling protection. VC Performance Epoxy has no antifouling or foul release properties.

Converter/Curing V128
Thanks Ed,
That last post answered all of my questions. VC is not the holy grail of boat paint that I was searching for.

Stay warm,
O J