interesting anchor

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Drago

Post by Drago »

Although I grew up in Belgrade, Serbia, I am not Serbian. You can also notice that my English is far from “perfect”.
Domenic
Location: Cape Dory 10 Hull 1278 & Moody 45ac Janique III Liberty Landing Marina. Jersey City.

Hi Drago.

Post by Domenic »

Hi Drago. I am over at Liberty Landing Marina. How does your Anchor hold in Mud? Grazi, Domenic
Drago

Post by Drago »

Our first generation, 10.6 lbs XYZ Anchor was the Practical Sailor’s 2006 Mud Anchor Test -“Our best choice”. Extreme and Ω XYZ generation has significantly improved design for use on the very hard and on very sort sea bottoms with larger holding fluke surface. What type of the mud is at Liberty Landing Marina? If mud is NOT too soft, the 23 lbs Ω may be overkill for 36’ boat. Smaller, 14 - 17 lbs Extreme has fluke surface equal to about 40 - 50 lbs CQR or Bruce.

Holding power, of any anchor, is strictly related to its ability to set as deep as possible, to its holding surface of the fluke/plow and to the design that prevents the anchor to break out even when overpowered. I believe that this is a fact.

Forum member’s influence on another members and on the market is enormous; bad and good news travel fast.
Drago

interesting anchor

Post by Drago »

Few more interesting facts about the anchors and soft bottoms:

We don’t cut meat and vegetables with a pyramid but with a sharp knife blade. When it comes to cutting, stabbing and penetration, old fashion sharp steel knife is IRREPLACEABLE. The large flat surface of the fluke’s blade does not obstruct cutting ability but produces enormous holding force. The XYZ concept is based on the KNIFE principle.

To penetrate with ease, extremely deep into a sea bottom where resistance-holding force is huge, the state-of-the-art instrument is required. That capability is not possible with most existing anchor concepts.

Anchors with roll bars, air containers, long thick and heavy shanks with heavy front ballast are not capable to reach bottom depth where ultimate holding power is. That is a fact.

Drago
Joe Peladeau

XYZ Anchor

Post by Joe Peladeau »

Hi Drago,

First, let me commend you on joining the discussion. I believe it demonstrates a tremendous amount of confidence in your product when the manufacturer isn't shy about joining an internet group's board discussion.

Second, I do have a concern with your anchor. It is stemming from the October 2006 anchor testing article in Sail magazine. I'm hoping you could comment about the performance of your anchor in those tests. It seems it didn't perform well in sand. Is your anchor designed solely for soft mud bottoms and isn't a good candidate for sandy bottoms?

Regards,
Joe
Drago

Post by Drago »

Joe, thanks for you question. Unfortunately I cannot post the picture from the West Marine/Sail Magazine test on this forum (some technical reason).
There are six images that show, in steps how beautifully XYZ Anchor sets and completely disappears in to deep sand!!! XYZ WAS THE ONLY anchor, in the West Marine test that had those capabilities, shown on magazine pictures! Please look at those pictures. Below those six pictures is the text stating that anchor cannot even set!
Do you believe more to what you read or what you see?
Look also pictures of another anchors that did a very poor setting. Look at the anchors with roll bars and air containers how poorly they perform but toped the performance list!!
Unless you are blind you will see that something is very wrong.
XYZ anchors sales are soaring in Australia where hard sand is a typical bottom and in France with Mediterranean hard sand, rocks and weeds.
Download the video from the website.
John Vigor

Anchor recall

Post by John Vigor »

Dragomir, I seem to remember that XYZ anchors were recalled and replaced about 18 months or two years ago.

What was that all about? What was the problem and how did you fix it?

Cheers,

John Vigor
Joe Peladeau

XYZ Anchor

Post by Joe Peladeau »

Hi Drago,

Thank you for the quick response. Thank you also for sending me the photos you have of the Sail magazine tests.

I'd like to start with defining some terms for anchoring. Traditionally the term 'set' or 'setting' an anchor meant that the anchor was lowered, dug in and was holding the boat in position (not dragging). These days there seems to be two terms used for anchoring by anchor manufacturers. The new use of the word 'set' seems to denote how quickly an anchor will dig into the bottom. Therefore the term 'set' no longer seems to relate to the anchors holding ability but rather to the speed/distance at which the anchor digs in. The second term used today seems to be the use of the word 'holding' power or 'load' strength that is provided by the anchor once it has been 'set'. Some manufactures simply ignore this element of the anchoring process and perhaps mislead one to believe that once you're set... you're set.

I've been to your web site and you cover off both aspects of today's new anchoring terminology. Based on the videos offered, your anchor seems to set quickly and your site claims that your anchor will hold in excess of the breaking strength of the rode you are using. This is my take of what your web site is saying.

In the case of the Sail magazine article I believe what the article is saying is that your anchor sets quickly but doesn't hold. It continues to dig a furrow instead of providing holding power. Once again, this is my take on the article.

Drago, it would be the very informative for me if you could tell me the holding power of your anchor when confronted with different bottom conditions and at varying scopes and how that compares to the ABYC's anchoring table.

Regards,
Joe
Drago

Post by Drago »

Hi John,
During the computer simulation, we thought that the anchor may breakout (XYZ’s design prevents that to happen) when a brutal and sudden impact force is applied on 135° direction. It happens not to be an issue. The recall was our mistake. We shouldn’t have done it.
Drago

Post by Drago »

Joe, you knowledge sounds impressive. What is the seabed in your area? What is your primary anchor? Did you test it extensively?
Joe Peladeau

XYZ Anchor

Post by Joe Peladeau »

Hi Drago,

Sand and mud. I have a 35 pound CQR and a Danforth. I'm not a fan of the CQR as it is temperamental when trying to get it to set. It holds great once set. The Danforth is about to be replaced with a Fortress.

Like any mariner I'm still searching for the holy grail of anchors, something lighter that sets quickly and holds tenaciously. I'm open to new designs if there is sufficient proof/data that verifies the claims.

Regards,
Joe
Drago

Post by Drago »

Hi Joe,

All of us are often victims of the sophisticated marketing! In my view, you and your choice of the anchors is e good example.

Sometimes we should take a chance, taste an apple and than make a judgment, especially when there is no risk involved. That is what the French and Australian boaters did where our sales are soaring, not based on the advertising but on the recommendations.

Progress never stops.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

thank you john

Post by winthrop fisher »

:roll: