Questions on installing a yanmar on a CD36

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Russell

Questions on installing a yanmar on a CD36

Post by Russell »

It just so happens that the local yanmar dealer here in Trinidad has a shiny new 3JH4 in stock, which I have decided to purchase.

The gear box ratio is a lot different then the hurth I have with my perkins. Obviously I am going to need a new prop. Those of you who have made the switch to a 3JH4, which yanmar gearbox did you chose, and what prop did you get? Were you able to stay with the same diameter and just go with a different pitch?

One thing that drives me nuts with the perkins is the access to the port side of the engine. I like that the oil filter and injector pump on the yanmar are on the starboar side, but the starter is still on the port side. Once installed how easy is access to the starter?

I am sure I will have plenty more questions as I get furthur into this. I know someone awhile back posted photos of their repower job on a CD36, but I couldnt find the photos when searching the board. Perhaps someone can point me to it.

Russell
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Starter?? Photo Link

Post by Parfait's Provider »

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/3885509/4161187157.jpg[/img]

Must be a starter back there somewhere. It works so well I don't worry about it.

Another thing to look at is the raw water pump. It is not facing forward like the Perkins, but aft on the port side. Mirrors might be handy. Makes it more imperative to replace that impeller regularly.

There is a note in my records that says 15 X 15 is reportedly overpropped. I'm pretty sure it is the same diameter because there's not room for more. I can't find a clue about what they actually settled on, not even on the invoice. Got a nice discount though.

We used the Robinhood pan, but it was a close call. The yard had a terrible time getting it in place and having enough room to run the hoses forward. For that kind of money your yard can probably do better even if they have to build a mold first.

Here's a link to the photos of Parfait's 3JH3 installation:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pict ... 286361485

Oh, if you can get the transmission cabling installed such that the shift lever operates with the same sense as the Perkins, do it. I am forever having to say a mantra out loud as I go into tight spots. I also don't like the detent for neutral; it is pretty vague and narrow. Adjusting the cable such that the lever is exactly horizontal would probably help. Not a problem unless you think you are in neutral and the wharfinger is having a hard time keeping the boat in one place.

Good luck!
Last edited by Parfait's Provider on Aug 26th, '07, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Ted Gaidelis

new yanmar

Post by Ted Gaidelis »

Russell I have installed a 3JH4E in my CD36 last year, I used the down angle transmision, I had to cut out the old steel pipe beds to
install the new Yanmar also used my old 100 amp alternator and my Sea Frost compressor also there is a good market to sell the 4-108 if it is a runner..
Ted
Russell

Post by Russell »

Thanks for the info Ted and Ken.

Ken, thats dissapointing to hear that the Robinhood bed gave some difficulty. Was the problem getting it through the opening to install it? Or just getting it to fit in the existing bed? The mechanic who is going to do the install was here this morning, and looking at the existing setup he was concerned about what will be involed to make a bed for the yanmar, so when I mentioned the robinhood bed to him, he light up at the idea. So I am very curious to hear more details of the problems you ran into. Do you happen to have any photos of the bed before the yanmar was actually installed? Or even some of the bed install process?

Is the robinhood bed just fibreglass, or is there some metal reinforcing it?

I noticed the engine mounts you have there are not the Yanmar mounts, but the vetus mounts. Was there a reason you couldnt use the yanmar mounts?

Also very interesting info on the issues with the transmission cable. I wonder if its worth looking into switching to a single lever setup, like on most modern boats.

Ted, did you use the robinhood bed yourself? If not, can you tell me about what was involved in your bed setup?

The engine they have in stock has the 7 degree down angle transmission, and that sounds like a better fit to me, good to hear you used that one successfully Ted.

Did you both end up lengthening the prop shaft, to account for the smaller engine? I am hoping this is a possibility, with the Perkins its such a tight fit back there.

As for the old perkins, it runs like a champ (I am just sick of oil leaks, the noise, etc.. its a dirty engine). But there is a pretty limited market in Trinidad for used marine engines, on top of the fact that its illegal for a foreign yacht to sell things here. I already have feelers out for selling it, but not much interest yet. What its looking like I will have to do with it, is when it comes out, I will strip it, take all the parts off the block and stuff them in a locker and leave the block behind. Selling the parts should be easy, and its better then getting nothing for it.
Russell
Parfait's Provider

Yanmar

Our old 4-103 was rebuilt for an Amel with a 4-103 with over 7,000 hours on it. The owner probably doesn't deal with things mechanical. I thnik he was going to have the original rebuilt as a spare.

The bed just didn't fit into the space just right. Not sure why. They finally got it all together and it works just great. Another owner had Robinhood install their bed and a Yanmar and they didn't understand why my yard was having a problem.

Not sure why they didn't use the Yanmar mounts. Don't know what is in the bed, but surely there is more than fiberglass, at least white oak. I might have some photos of the bed before the engine was mounted. I'll take a look tomorrow.

Single lever solutions are available and expensive, but probably kind to transmissions.

We did replace the shaft and added a PSS seal.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Parfait's Provider

Compartment Photos

I don't seem to have any photos of the Robinhood liner installed. I do have shots of the gutted engine compartment and, if you like, I can post them. They are great evidence of what a Perkins can do to a boat's tidiness.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Ted Gaidelis

Post by Ted Gaidelis »

Russell I did not use the Robinhood bed, the new bed was built up of solid fiberglass layup, 4 separate L brackets it gives more room for all the plumbing to pass thru I also used the original throttle and shift cables and the old prop was a good match to the new engine but we did replace the propeller shaft, we made up a higher exaust riser then Kens .. I spent the extra mony for the full panel with oil pressure and temp gages it was a good fit the only problem was ajusting the tach I called Mac Boring and they were no help, the tach is made by VDO on their web page there are 11 pages of programing instructions in a PDF file, this spring I replaced the old stuffing box with a PSS shaft seal witch I should have done when the old engine was out..
Ted
Parfait's Provider

Panel

Forgot to mention that we installed a full complement of instruments in the old Perkins panel location. Mine came from a salvage place in FL that has access to seconds from one of the local manufacturers, Hunter, if I recall correctly. Got a credit for the standard issue panel that was also not really a Yanmar anyway.

I still wish I could read the panel from the helm. We did not shorten the cable.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Bob Luby

Pictures not available.

Post by Bob Luby »

I tried clicking on the link to the installlation pix. Could you correct the link?

Thanks.
________
Vaporizers
Last edited by Bob Luby on Feb 14th, '11, 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
Parfait's Provider

Correct Link

The link seems to have been the victim of a format problem. I have corrected it, but here it is again:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictu ... 4286361485
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Bernie
Charleston, SC

Post by Bernie »

Russel,

I'm about ready to bite the bullet and repower my CD 36 as well...I've got a crane showing up on Friday to pull the tired old Perkins out...I'm a bit nervous as to how that is going to go...Anyway, I'm hoping to learn as much as I can from other posters as I'm planning to do some of the repower myself...Advice from Ken, Ted, and other's is proving very helpful...I also had some correspondence with Tom Blanchard via email, so I thought I would post this review/comments...Tom was able to use the existing engine mounts for the Yanmar to sit on...His comments are below...

"Bernie, sorry for the tardy response.
The footprint for the 3JH4 was about 1 inch or so narrower but about 4
inches shorter, so 3/8th steel plates were bolted to the forward
mounting plates to allow for the twart adjustment. New flex mounts were
bolted to them.
The fore/aft difference was made up by custom multiple "L" angle
brackets replacing the originals from the engine block back to the aft pads.
One of these brackets failed on first try and had to be beefed up with
bigger gussets welded in. They're fine now.
I considered buying the Robinhood FRP bed, but the installer thought
the $1,800 price was too much. I'm told by others that they are tough to
fit in.
He also checked and there was plenty of steel in the old beds despite
some rusting.
The installation seems to be working fine now, except for the shaft
being installed too short.
Call me at home at (716) 883-1831 if you want to discuss further.
Yes, this boat is listed on Yachtworld in Wilson NY.
Tom Blanchard"
Bernie Beasley
bwbeasley@yahoo.com
Gregg

Yanmar for CD 36

Post by Gregg »

This string has been dormant for some time now but I am interested in finding out some more information since I too am looking at the new 3JH4E. The Perkins is running great but as with others I dislike the oil leaks and desire the space for the flex tube at the packing. I also just finished rebuilding the Hurth transmission and question it's size / reliability. Russell did you proceed with the replacement? Where do get the information on the Robinhood "bed" and what is it? From my measurements, the aft mounts will be a tight fit. I measure the declination of the current drive shaft at 15 degrees +- and it makes sense to use the 7degeree "KM35A" but wonder if its ok to install the Yanmar KM35P (no down angle) at the existing angel of the sterntube / Perkins. What about the clockwise vs counter clockwise rotation? Any more suggestions? Thanks, Gregg
Gregg Johnson
Bernie
Charleston, SC

Ted has the answers...

Post by Bernie »

I'm also looking to re-power with the 3JH4E...I've pulled the old Perkins and have removed the steel pipe beds and ground away the old glass...I'm planning to follow Ted's advice that he mentioned earlier in this thread as he used the down-angle gearbox and maintained the original stern tube configuration...The Robinhood bed will require a different stern tube angle!

Ted...If you wouldn't mind expounding on the brackets/mounts you made, I think we could all benefit from your experience on this subject...

Many Thanks,

/Bernie
Bernie Beasley
bwbeasley@yahoo.com
Gregg

Mounts

Post by Gregg »

Bernie, Tom Ted and Others,
It sounds as though there are several approaches being taken to the mounts. From what I gather in Tom's installation the old pipe beds have been left in place and a modification was made to fit the Yanmar mount. From my measurements it appears the aft monts on the Yanmar conflict with the existing pipe in elevation - is that why Ted and Bernie are removing them? I tend to agree with the removal of the old pipes just to make as much room as possible and lay up new glass. Did you guys do the removal yourselfs? Is anyone doing all the work or do you all have a yard involved?

Thanks, Gregg
Gregg Johnson
Russell

Post by Russell »

Just an update, I decided against the yanmar in trinidad for various reasons (mainly my perceived competence of the mechanics ability to do the job well).

I am in Martinique now and they have a 40HP volvo and a 40HP yanmar, both sitting in a shop window beconing me. I got a quote worked up for the install and it can be done in less then a week.

The exchange rate is a killer though since its all the euro here!

I am not aware of anyone who has put the volvo D2 40 in their CD36, comparing side by side though I do like the volvo a lot. Its 4 cylinder rather then 3 so should run smoother and quieter. Pricewise they are so similar as to it not to be a factor.
Russell