inflatable vs Solid dinghy

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Big E
Salem, MA

inflatable vs Solid dinghy

Post by Big E »

Hello CD nation! I'm having a hard time choosing between an inflatable vs Solid dinghy. I'm leaning toward the inflatable cos' I figure it can be towed easily. I guess my question is what can I expect as far as stability is concerned. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
David van den Burgh

Re: inflatable vs Solid dinghy

Post by David van den Burgh »

erigol wrote:Hello CD nation! I'm having a hard time choosing between an inflatable vs Solid dinghy. I'm leaning toward the inflatable cos' I figure it can be towed easily. I guess my question is what can I expect as far as stability is concerned. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
You could sift through some of the comments from a related thread to get an idea of the issues and solutions: Inflatables

For my money, the issue isn't necessarily how well a dinghy tows but how easily it can be secured/stowed when towing is a liability. For that reason, I'd go with an inflatable that stows easily - it's even better if the thing can be deflated quickly for super-compact stowage.

A rigid dinghy, or an inflatable with a rigid bottom (air or otherwise), will tow better than an inflatable with a soft bottom. The inflatable with a rigid bottom has the advantage over a rigid dinghy because it is more stable and has a higher load capacity. Some inflatables with rigid floors even row well. The only thing lacking from a well-made, rigid bottom inflatable is beauty.
John Vigor

Inflatable for a CD27

Post by John Vigor »

I'd like to hear from CD27 owners who use inflatable dinghies. I have always used a hard dinghy because it's easy to tow and efficient to row. I've never had any need for an outboard motor for it. In fact, I once towed my CD27 a mile into a marina with my dinghy, sculling over the stern, one windless day when my water pump ran its bearings.

I've towed that old plastic dinghy hundreds of miles in the open Pacific and always got away with it, but I get the odd feeling now and then that I'm using up the points in my black box. Obviously, at sea it would be better not to tow a dinghy, but to have a rubber duckie that can be inflated and stowed easily. It would be wonderful if there were such as beast that could be rowed easily as well, but perhaps it's time to compromise and carry a small outboard.

So the questions for CD27 owners are:

* What size and make of inflatable are you using?
* Is it easy to deflate and stow?
* Where do you stow it?
* Can you inflate it in the cockpit or on the foredeck?
* What size outboard?
* And where do you stow the outboard?

I'd be grateful for all ideas. Many thanks.

Cheers,

John Vigor
seadog6532
Location: last boat 31' C&C Corvette, 0wner of CD30k #112 Arianna.

Post by seadog6532 »

Just my 2 cents worth. I just sold the hard dingy after only using it a couple of times because it is so hard to see over/around while on deck and I don't like towing. I put it behind the main mast on my CD30K and it fits nicley under the boom but you just can't see with it there. I know I could put it on the fore deck but don't like the restricted access to the furler, anchor, or bow cleats.
I wanted a hard dink because I wanted to be able to row or sail and not need an outboard with all it intails, but I just don't think it will work well on my boat. I'll be looking for a small inflatable and out board soon.
Mark and Anna of Arianna CD30K #112
The Patriot

Post by The Patriot »

David van den Burgh wrote: ... The only thing lacking from a well-made, rigid bottom inflatable is beauty .. .
And the ability to row ashore without noise or pollution, perhaps?
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

kerrydeare wrote:
David van den Burgh wrote: ... The only thing lacking from a well-made, rigid bottom inflatable is beauty .. .
And the ability to row ashore without noise or pollution, perhaps?
Ay, there's the rub. Most inflatables are not easy to row. I have heard, however, that the high-pressure floor variety are far more cooperative. So, it just might be possible to have the best of both worlds.

I would still opt for an inflatable over a rigid dinghy due to the inherent stability, relative ease of stowage, and load capacity.

It would seem the decision is a matter of priorities.

Edited to add:

This image was taken during a month-long cruise. The dinghy, lashed to the sprayhood, is visible just aft of the saloon hatch and forward of the traveler. The month aboard convinced us that this approach works best for our needs. The dinghy is out of the way and yet easy to deploy. During the month, we docked only three times and anchored the rest. Like most things aboard a sailboat, the process of readying the dinghy became routine, and it only took about 10 minutes. We use a 4hp that stows on the sternrail.
Last edited by David van den Burgh on Jan 25th, '08, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
Dave H

Post by Dave H »

I've been thinking about inflatable or foldable kayaks for my Typhoon Senior, where space is very limited. I think they'd stow well, paddle fairly well, tow poorly, have very limited hauling, and be tricky to get in and out of alongside. I think the kayaks would make a good "B" plan for light air days. Does any have a recommendation on air pumps? Has anyone used a skin and frame foldable kayak?
Dave H.
chase

oystering

Post by chase »

I would love to make a hard dink work on my boat, but one that holds the four of us and cargo is too much for a CD30. Others would argue we're to much for a CD30. Naaah...

Main reasons for wanting a hard dinghy:

Oystering

Rowing (need something to keep from getting stove up)

I could build it.

No motor on the stern rail

Why I'm sticking with an inflatable for now:

I can stow it on the coachroof with minimal obstructed vision and inflate it there as well. It is an old Boaters World brand 8' PVC weighing about 80lbs. with a Tohatsu 3.5 hp 4 stroke weighing about 40 lbs stowed on stern rail. CArries my family of four just fine and cost $200.

The inflatables are pretty darn stable and easy to get in after swimming.

Chase
The Patriot

Post by The Patriot »

David van den Burgh wrote: ... I would still opt for an inflatable over a rigid dinghy due to the inherent stability, relative ease of stowage, and load capacity.

It would seem the decision is a matter of priorities.
I am not sure you have to make the choice. Many years ago I came across an old Howmar 8' GRP dink It belonged to a friend who had no interest in it and I picked up this boat and another, a 10' plywood pram, for a total of $100. I know this was quite lucky on my part, but it does happen.

I worked on the Howmar a bit and it's been serving well since about 1990. It's been to Cuba, Bermuda, Maine, Nova Scotia, etc., and while usually towed it has traveled on the foredeck of my CD 28 (a thoroughly unpleasant experience). I also have an ancient Achilles that will see use this spring because I will not be able to tow the Howmar.

Yes, twice as much bother, twice (or more) as much maintenance, but more than twice the utility and convenience.
Jim Lewis

Dingy

Post by Jim Lewis »

Try and be realistic.......how many times a year will you use it and what is 90% of the usage going to be doing......I had an inflatable and kept it till the amount of air going out was greater than the amount being held in.....have a small hard molded dingy now that fits between mast and traveler......with small cruise n carry........or
can be towed......been using for probably over ten years and will
use ten more.....yes it is tippy, and yes you have to make multiple trips if you want to take bicycles in to shore......two people is limit.
Hard is always gonna do the job, inflatable you may have to patch before you can use, that might take the fun out of weekend........

put pros on one side of sheet of paper and cons on other then apply the 90% rule a see what you come up with........if you include everything you will do your list should be several pages long.......

Best solution is have one of each, along with liferaft.....and three jobs to pay for all of it.....
Jim Lewis
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

hi

Post by winthrop fisher »

hey think about ?

well i have had a solid dinghy and have had an inflatable and both are fine and both have pro's and con's.

the size of your boat will tell which one to go with,

if you can pick it up or not,
"solid dinghy can weight 80pds and up, but will only hold 3 people"
"inflatable 40pds and up and can only hold 5 people"

or are you going to pull it around all the time and where to put it.

then you will have to paint the bottom of both of them, as well.

these are question you need to ask your self,

the size has to hold ever one aboard,

thats why i had both for a long time.

do you want an out board motor,

a four horse power is 45pds, thats what i use.

my cd22 had 6 people on board and i had an inflatable that would hold 8 people.

my typhoon i would take 5 people on board, the inflatable would hold 6 people.

my 27 holds 8 to 10 people, that inflatable holds 12 to 14 people and its 12 feet long.

you see your dinghy has to hold ever one and all the extra supplies....

think about where are you going to put it when not in use.

they take up allot of room,

winthrop
John Ring

8' roll up & 2hp, OR, the kayak (pics)

Post by John Ring »

[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x105 ... Isle16.jpg[/img]

This is a photo of my CD28 in full cruising mode. If I've got crew along for the cruise I'll bring the Bombard AX3 (8' roll up), stored on the fwd deck. It also easily fits into the massive CD28 cockpit lockers. It doesn't row well at all; a little Honda BF2 makes plenty of power, and rides on the stern rail. The Bombard is a low cost vinyl boat that has survived light use for nearly ten years now. It takes less than 10 minutes to inflate and deploy over the side. It's easily hauled on deck & deflated too. A CD28, and 8' inflatable, handles a crew of three & their gear pretty well if you travel light.

[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x105 ... te2007.jpg[/img]

If I don't have crew with me, I'll tow a 10' plastic sit on top kayak (with much longer painter than shown here). The sit on top is self draining, and tows straight as an arrow with little resistance or drag. It can't fill or swamp, and the plastic is too soft to damage the boat if the kayak runs up in bad weather. It is short enough to haul onto the side deck in really nasty weather. A kayak is a little tricky getting in and out from the boat if there's a chop, but I love exploring the backwaters by kayak in silence. It really adds a wonderful new dimension to coastal cruising.

Best,
John Ring
CD28 Tantalus
www.yachttantalus.us
bobc

Re: Inflatable for a CD27

Post by bobc »

John Vigor wrote:I'd like to hear from CD27 owners who use inflatable dinghies.....
John Vigor

I've used an 8' Avon Redcrest for more than a decade. It doesn't have a hard bottom, though I think one of these years I'll probably make some floor boards for it. As a dinghy, it gets the job done. It doesn't row well at all, so I finally gave up a couple of years ago and added a small 2HP Tohatsu. I don't like the noise, and I don't like having to have gasoline on board, but I also don't like rowing the dinghy very far. The motor makes it easier to go farther, but doesn't make it easier as the boat doesn't track very well. It's safe, but not very dry. Even a little water inside will collect where you step or kneel.

So, while there's a lot I don't like, I've come to the conclusion that it's still the best solution for me. I stow the dinghy in the lazarette. It's locked up and out of way the 99.99% of the time I'm not using it. It's not in the way when I'm washing down the boat. It's not in the water half sunk with rainwater. It's out of the way when I'm just out for a day sail.

When I head into the islands, I leave it stowed until the first time I need it. I can inflate it in the cockpit and toss it over the side without any assistance. After that, I tow it around until I've got a long sail, or I think it's going to be a little rough. It tows just fine. I do keep a close eye on it if it does get rough because it can start to collect water and get a little heavy.

It's not perfect, but until the perfect dinghy comes along, I think I'll keep it.
Bob Cutler
1981 CD27 (sold)
Everett, WA
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Inflatable

Post by Carter Brey »

I also like the versatility of an inflatable, and consider it a fair trade-off for sloppy performance. I have a 9' Avon Redcrest that I bought in like-new condition off of Clay Stalker a few years ago, and I've had a lot of good use out of it. It has roll-up floorboards and a separate inflatable thwart.

I have a Bravo 10 footpump which inflates it in a few minutes in the cockpit. With a little elbow grease it can be collapsed and stuffed into its bag for storage, either lashed down forward of the mast or in the starboard cockpit locker.

I would say that three adults or one adult and three children can be carried comfortably in it.

It comes with a custom motor mount, but I've never bothered with it; I admit to being partial to rowing. It's a great way to maintain fitness when out on a cruise, and an oar can be used to repel revenue agents or sound the bottom in a shallow anchorage.

Here I am rowing against 20 mph winds as a storm front approaches Oyster Bay. Henry Hey thought it was an amusing sight and captured it for posterity.

[img]http://pws.prserv.net/cbrey/rowing.jpg[/img]
garym
Hingham, MA

Dinghy

Post by garym »

Another possibility regarding dinghies is the portabote. I got rid of my inflatable about 4 years ago and bought the portabote. It's cheaper, lighter and takes less time to assemble than inflating the inflatable It folds up like a surf board to about four inches thick. It's easily stored on one of the side decks.

Gary

http://www.porta-bote.com/