Hull number versus boat manufacturing number

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

dougw

Hull number versus boat manufacturing number

Post by dougw »

This may seem a very easy question, but I am trying to determine my CD 27 manufacturing number from Hull #CPDJ0008M77A ? Any help from the experts? Thanks :?:
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

CPD = Cape Dory

J = 27

0008 = serial number 0008 (or just #8)

M = model year

77 = 1977 model year

A = 1st month starting from August of 1976, or August 1976
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Good Old Boat March/April 2006 has an excellent article on hull identification numbers (HINs).

As they explain it, the characters (numbers or letters) in the "model-year format" which existed prior to 01 January 1984 are decoded as follows:

Character positions 1, 2 & 3 of the HIN are the manufacturer's identification code and assigned by the US Government;

Character positions 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 of the HIN are an alpha-numeric serial number established by the manufacturer;

Character position 9 of the HIN could be the letter "M" if the sailboat was built before 01 January 1984. The letter "M" signifies the manufacturer is using the "model-year format" not the "numerical straight-year format";

Character positions 10 & 11 are the year of manufacture; and

Character position 12 is a letter indicating the month of manufacture in the "model-year format". Interestingly, this lettering starts with the letter "A" signifying August; "B" is September; "C" is October, etc.

Before 01 January 1984, if a manufacturer wanted to, he (or she) could alternatively use the "numerical straight year format" instead of the "model-year format". Then characters are decoded as follows:

1-8 are the same as above for the "model-year format";

9, 10, 11 & 12 would be the month and year of manufacture. Instead of an "M" at character 9 signifying "model-year format" there would be a number as part of the month (2 digits), followed by year (2 digits).

Post 01 January 1984 you could use another third format which is called the "new format" (catchy phrase). In the "new format", the characters are decoded as follows:

1-8 are the same as above for the "model-year format";

9 is the month of manufacture - "A" is January, "B" is February, etc.

10 is a number digit signifying the last digit of the year of manufacture or certification

11 and 12 are the model year.

So, CPDJ0008M77A suggests the following:

“CPD” stands for Cape Dory

“J0008" is an alphanumeric number unique to Cape Dory and relates to the hull number built

"M" signifies the manufacturer is using the "model-year format" not the "numerical straight-year format"

“77” is 1977, that is, year of manufacture

“A” is August.

So, presumably, your CD 27 is Hull Number 8 of the CD 27 models and was built in a 1977 and commissioned in August 1977.

Hope this helps.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Carl Thunberg

You have Hull No. 8, Manufactured in 1977

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Check out this link about how to read hull identification numbers.
I think the J stands for the CD27 model. I'm sure others will speak up if I mis-spoke about the J.

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.html

(Edit - Wow! In between when I started drafting this response, and when I sent it, the question had been answered twice.)
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Roger McManus
Location: Boat: s/v "Cocos"CD 28' Sloop, Hull #71 Annapolis, Maryland

HIN Number Mystery

Post by Roger McManus »

Ok, Cocos, my CD 28 Sloop is CPDF007M76B

I assumed she was built in 1976, hull #7

However, when you look in the registry there are several 28s built in 1974 and 1975 with larger hull numbers, and a 1975 "Nanook" and a 1974 Folly II as #7 too. The 1976 Phycos is identified as hull #6.

Hmmm....
Roger McManus
s/v "Cocos"
1976 CD 28 #71
Annapolis, Maryland