Best site, magazines, etc. to privately sell a boat

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mike ritenour

Best site, magazines, etc. to privately sell a boat

Post by mike ritenour »

We have decided to sell our new 44 Hunter Deck Salon and I'm interested to poll the board to find your opinion on the best locations to list a large sailboat.

Also, what is the best site to host the www site for the boat.

Thanks in advance.

Rit
Russell

Post by Russell »

A large new boat I think your best bet will be to go with a broker. Most people who scan for sale by owner websites and magazines are looking for bargins. Given the likely price range of your boat, even after brokers fee, you will probably come out ahead selling through one and sell faster.

What made you decide to sell, hasnt even been a year yet since you bought it has it? Something about the boat you didnt like?
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
mike ritenour

broker

Post by mike ritenour »

Russ,

Thanks for your thoughts

For the first few months, we are gona try and sell it ourself and if it does not move, we'll do the broker thing.

At 10% commission, its a huge chunk of money.

rit
bottomscraper

craigslist?

Post by bottomscraper »

Craigslist is free and we've had good luck with it so far. You could try ebay but you probably have high fees on something worth that much. We sold our last boat by making a very good webpage with lots of detail and pictures, and put links to it everywhere we could for free. Also made sure search engines could find it. I think we put an ad in a local paper, trying to remember...
I think Good Old Boat might have reasonable ad rates.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Mike,

Scroll to the top of this page and click on the CDSOA link or the CDSOA logo to get to our home page. From there, use the menu and select 'Where to Look' then 'Buy or Sell your boat or used gear'. That'll bring up a web page with a list of online services to do just that. Some are free, some have fees.

Anyway, I recommend starting with 'Boat Trader Online', 'Boat U.S. Classifieds' (both online and in the magazine), and 'Soundings' (both online and in their magazine). Somebody already mentioned CraigsList and that's a good idea too.

If you use a broker, they should list it on YachtWorld.com. Lots of folks use YachtWorld.com when they're searching to buy a boat, so by using a broker, anyone looking for a Hunter will see it there.

There are lots of Boat U.S. members. They get Boat U.S. Magazine, so listing your boat in the Boat U.S. Classifieds is a good idea. Same goes for Soundings. You may also want to advertise your boat for sale in Good Old Boat Magazine even if she isn't old yet.

Good luck with the sale.

Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Clay Stalker

Another Opinion

Post by Clay Stalker »

Hi Mike-

Having bought and sold several boats over the past 20 years I have learned a few things.

Soundings has a wide reach and is reasonable, but I have always found that the best ones go fast, so most good boats in Soundings are already sold before you call. Might be worth a try for the cost.

I would not recommend Good Old Boat for a newer Hunter....most of the readership of GOB wouldn't be looking for that kind of boat. Best for classics.

Boat U.S is a good idea....wide range of readers and members.

Try a Hunter's owners website or chatroom. CDs sell quickly on the CD message board, Sea Sprites go fast on the Sea Sprite board, and Pearsons sell on their board.

I have no experience with the internet for selling boats. However, if Rich Abato says it's a good idea, then it is.

Personally, I would use a broker for that boat. Not only because of Yachtworld, but they also have a line on who's looking for what, and can often price a boat such that some of their commission is included.

Good luck.
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
mike ritenour

Thanks Clay

Post by mike ritenour »

Your points are well taken.

However to sell EOS quickly, the price does not leave any room to make up for the 10% the broker wants.

I know they are worth their money, in some circumstances, but at this juncture we'd like to keep that 10% in our pocket.

All the more money to pour into another larger hole in the ocean :wink:

sea u,
rit
Tod M

Mike, here's a free site for you...

Post by Tod M »

http://www.sailingtexas.com/cboatsclassifieds.html

Is a popular free page. Yours will probably be the flagship there.
Tod M

P.S. It might be helpful to set up a web page with

Post by Tod M »

full details and lots of pics.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Try www.hunterowners.com

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Mike,

Here's a link to the Hunter Owners Association, and as Clay mentioned, you can list your boat for sale there.

http://www.hunterowners.com/

Also, since it's easy for folks to remember the URL UsedBoats.com, you may want to list your boat for sale with them as well.

Cathy
mike ritenour

thanks

Post by mike ritenour »

thanks for the thoughts.
rit