deck steped mast on typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

windwalker111
Cape Dory typhoon

deck steped mast on typhoon

Post by windwalker111 »

I am restoring a cape dory typhoon. I have had the hull and deck painted and am reinstalling deck hardware. I am not sure where exactly to place the mast step on deck for the hinged tabernacle. The location was marked with 1/8" pilot holes but the yard didn't get proper instructions and painted over the holes. Also, should the maststep be thru-bolted? I would like to do this right the first time as the new paint looks great. Thanks all.

windwalker
Windwalker111

Happiness is the best revenge
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Typhoon Mast

Post by Oswego John »

Try going below and looking up at the cuddy ceiling. Maybe you can spot the pilot holes from the inside.

There are several schools of thought on fastening the step. Through bolting makes a stronger mounting. Screwing or lagging the step to the roof will prevent ripping a gaping hole in the roof if there should be a failure in the shrouds or stays and the mast comes down.

It's seven of one method and half a dozen of the other. Most people recommend using a backing plate underneath. Are you using a compression post?

Good luck,

O J
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

hi

Post by winthrop fisher »

you need to through bolt it in place and use 3m 4200 with it.....winthrop