Causes for water leak in CD 28

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jac Clement

Causes for water leak in CD 28

Post by Jac Clement »

I'm a new owner of 1982 CD 28. I've noticed water in the starboard stowage cabinet just off the ice box when it rains heavily. I think it is caused by caulking failure around the cockpit backrests. Any ideas about the cause and recommendations on caulk would be appreciated (if that is the cause). Thanks.
bill2

drip

Post by bill2 »

Perchance have you checked out the teak trim above the ice box or have any instruments between the ice box and sink that are used when in the cockpit - which penetrate the fiberglass from the cabin to the cockpit ? ( If it was the port light you'd probably see a greenish trace where the water was entering. )

Either could be a source of leaks. . .

Good Luck
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Looking For Leak Sources

Post by Oswego John »

An old trick is to mix food coloring with water and pour the colored water over suspected leak areas. A second person helps a lot.

Then go below and look for colored traces running from the source.

Good luck,

O J
Derek Matheson

Re: Causes for water leak in CD 28

Post by Derek Matheson »

In that area, try the stantion bases supporting the lifelines. Reach up behind the liner, or use a mirror to take a look at the backing plates.
Jac Clement

Post by Jac Clement »

Thanks for the info. will do the detective work. Jac
Dixon Hemphill

Leak in my CD28

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

Like Jac I too have a leak in my cabin but on the port side in back of the stove. When the weather permits I'll try to find the reason using the suggestions several of you sailors offered.

Thanks, guys.
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
The Patriot

Re: Causes for water leak in CD 28

Post by The Patriot »

Jac Clement wrote:I'm a new owner of 1982 CD 28. I've noticed water in the starboard stowage cabinet just off the ice box when it rains heavily. I think it is caused by caulking failure around the cockpit backrests. Any ideas about the cause and recommendations on caulk would be appreciated (if that is the cause). Thanks.

I have a boat like yours of the same vintage. Most likely there are 2 culprits. The first is the area you mentioned where the coaming forward trim meets the side of the house. This is an awkward arrangement and over time you will almost certainly encounter leaks. You can either tape the seams and caulk with something like polysulphide ("Lifecaulk" or similar), or go the whole hog route of removing the coaming and rebedding the entire installation.

The second possibility is the teak eyebrow that's over the port lights. This is just decorative, although I do like the way it looks. However this trim will also require rebedding after a period of time. I think you will be surprised by how much water can enter the cabin by this route. Like you, I have had water in the galley area lockers from time to time, but since removing and rebedding this trim I haven't had issues for quite some time.

Either way after a period of use you will find that fresh caulking will have to be applied to any area where wood meets glass. A messy but useful maintenance chore.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

hi

Post by winthrop fisher »

oswego john has the right ideal......winthrop