CD28 balsa thickness

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

RDH3
CD28
Oriental, NC

CD28 balsa thickness

Post by RDH3 »

Looks like I need to recore a couple of patches on the deck of my CD28. :cry: The areas of wet core are too large for the 'drill, dry, inject' method. What is the thickness of the basla core material? The boat is an '82. Thanks.
S/V Necessity
Columbia, MO

Core thickness.

Post by S/V Necessity »

On my cd28 it was 3/8" on the cabin top and side decks. There is some debate as to if the cockpit sole was thinner (1/4") or not. We replaced it with 1/4" and it sure seemed to line up with the original pretty well....
Loren
Chaumont, NY

core

Post by Loren »

The core thickness of the cockpit sole on my 1980 CD27 is 3/8". I installed an access hatch a while back and went to my garage and actually found the piece I cut out! The glass is 3/16" over the 3/8" core plus a gelcoat layer.
By the way - the hatch was a great upgrade - good access to back of engine and stuffing box plus I use some of the space for storage.

Fair winds,
Loren
johnny of STORK
Taos, NM
San Carlos, Sonora, MX

Post by johnny of STORK »

I installed an access hatch a while back
Loren -- What kind of access hatch did you use, and where did you get it? I've been considering this for some time, but haven't found a hatch to my liking.

Johnny
Loren
Chaumont, NY

hatch

Post by Loren »

Hi,
The rough opening is 16"x 17.5" - I used a Bomar 14"x16"inspection hatch. (Bomar #G81618-W) I installed it near the front of the cockpit. I would have liked something heavier duty but didn't want to add the extra weight. It has worked fine and it can be walked on but I usually avoid standing on it. I decided it was fine for coastal cruising. "LaVita" CD36 installed a heavy duty metal (round) access hatch.

Hope this helps,
Loren
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: CD28 balsa thickness

Post by winthrop fisher »

RDH3 wrote:Looks like I need to recore a couple of patches on the deck of my CD28. :cry: The areas of wet core are too large for the 'drill, dry, inject' method. What is the thickness of the basla core material? The boat is an '82. Thanks.

if you think you have rot,

all you have to do is look at the color of the wood that comes out of the hole,

if its dark its water,

if not dark, but light in color its fine.

do not remove the bottom part of the fiberglass on the inside,

because you will need that part to stay their,

cut the top part off and dig out all the wet core out,

it should be real easy to do,

until you get dry wood in light color,

then you can fixes the area with more wood in its place,

then glass over it,

then gelcoat the area and or prime and paint,

and your done,

its easy to do.....
winthrop