On line outboard sales

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bill Jarrell

On line outboard sales

Post by Bill Jarrell »

Hello everyone,

Wondering if anyone has had experience ordering o/bs online.

I am looking at the 25" Nissan 6hp 4cycle. What is attractive about this specific model is that includes an alternator system, "at no cost"

From all that has been written about the Nissan/Tohatsu 6hp 4cycle, I should have no trouble with getting into my 81 CD25.

The company I am considering is: Onlineoutboards.com

Any dealing with them? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Bill
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

I ordered a Nissan 6hp 4-stroke with the 20 inch shaft from these guys about a month ago for my Pearson Ariel. In the end the price was the same as the 25" model you are talking about after I had them install the alternator. For me it had to fit in the stern lazerette sideways and the extra five inches was cutting it close. It took about a week to get to my house in Western Massachusetts and that included the time it took them to install the altenator. The transaction went well and I have only good things to say about dealing with these guys. Plus the price was hard to beat. I checked around locally, but it would have cost me a couple hundred more and I would have had to drive to pick it up.

http://www.onlineoutboards.com/6hp_niss ... motor.html
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
chase

defender

Post by chase »

I bought my Tohatsu at Defender.com. There have a been a couple of little issues and their service guy is really on the ball, professional and follows through.

Chase
audeojude

Post by audeojude »

I purchased one from outboardsales.com and when i had issues they wouldn't call me back... didn't respond at all till I had to file a credit card dispute months later. After 10 months of hell with them and tohatsu they finally won the dispute and have left me with an engine that doesn't perform to speck. I even had submitted third party support of my position but heard rumors that they got lawyers involved going after the company that supported me in the dispute. All I know is that after that happened it came back in their favor because of not accepting the third party's supporting opionion and the third party vendor I got to look at the engine told me they won't get involved in something like that again so don't even ask them.

If you deal with a online vendor which i don't recomend anymore. I would give the guys at internetoutboards.com a try.. they tried to help me with my issue even though they didn't sell it to me.
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Outboards Online

Post by sgbernd »

I ordered a Tohatsu 3.5 from them last year. About 3 weeks later, it showed up as promised and I have been pleased with the motor and transaction. A true test of a dealer is when things don't go so well, just like the true test of an insurance company is when you need to file a claim, but at least there is nothing negative to say about my experience.
Lee Kaufman

Outboard

Post by Lee Kaufman »

Before you make a decision I suggest you read the post on "DC electric problem" just down the page. It will give you an idea of what to expect from the alternator. Also, if I were going to buy one of these motors I would consider looking at the Mercury version. I think it is the same (though I am not absolutely sure - more research would be due here) as the Nissan/Tohatsu and when you need service there are a lot more Mercury dealers around. I would also see if I could negotiate for a 6 pitch prop instead of the standard 8. I doubt if anyone will switch, but it won't cost anything to ask.

Addressing your original question, though, I have had no experience with ordering OB on line.
audeojude

Post by audeojude »

the 4 stroke one cylinder engines from tohatsu are also labled under mercury and nissan and are in most respects identical. There might be some differences in the control arm mechanisim. I'm not sure of that or that might be for the 2 cylindar motors which are also the same engine under all three labels.

However the carb, engine, lower units etc are all identical. It's the same engine.

As to getting a 6 pitch prop instead of the 8 pitch prop... two dealers and the manufacture have told me that they don't swap out.. however the normal 6 pitch prop from tohatsu usa is 54 dollars if I remember right. so not terribly expensive.
Harry

Re: On line outboard sales

Post by Harry »

Bill,

I bought the 6 hp 20" Tohatsu from those guys about 3 months ago. I ordered it on-line on a Saturday afternoon and it was delivered to my door on Tuesday. I took it out of the box, hung it in the well of my CD25, put oil in it and went sailing. The whole thing was as painless as that.
The Tohatsu is the same engine as the Nissan, just a different sticker on the cowl. I've also been told that Tohatsu makes the smaller Mercurys, but I don't know that for a fact. I had them install the alternator, but I haven't used it yet. My idea is that I'd use it in an emergency to power running lights and radio if my batteries crapped out at night. So far that hasn't happened.
The engine runs nicely at all RPMs and fits in the well. The top of the cowl rubs a little on the lazarette lid and I can't get the control arm through the aft cockpit opening (so I have to open the lazarette hatch to adjust throttle) but I think I can fix that by planing down the mounting block. I keep mine hung on the aft rail when not in use and muscling it into and out of the well is not too hard. For the sailing I do (river and bay stuff, no big swells) the 20" has plenty of depth -- I've never exposed the prop while motoring. Not sure what advantage the extra 5" gives.

Bottom line, good engine, great service from Onlineoutboards.com . Also, I did a lot of internet price shopping and between the free shipping and no tax, they were way cheaper than anyone else.
Good luck and enjoy it!
Cheers, Harry
altontom

Nissan/Tohatsu

Post by altontom »

I was looking to buy new outboard last fall as my old Johnson was nothing but trouble. I considered the Nissan/Tohatsu motors on line as the prices are good. However, when I looked into local service for these engines, I couldn't find any local dealers and I live in the lakes region of New Hampshire where there are a lot of outboard dealers. I've also heard that these engines are the "same" as Mercury outboards. When I inquired about service at several Mercury dealers for Nissan/Tohatsu, these guys were not interested in dealing with other engines.

I did find low cost Mercury dealer at Dover Marine in Dover, NH were 3.5 Mercury long shaft is $930. These are great folks that have a great service department.

I also looked into Honda outboards and I guess Honda will not allow dealers to ship motors in internet sales-interesting!!

Unless you are handy with motors (which I'm not), I'd feel better having reliable service close-by. Anyway, I got the old Johnson fixed 1 more time-hopefully I won't be sorry next summer.