Cabin Floor

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob Lincoln
Location: CD 30 Cutter 1985 GOSLING Bullock Cove Riverside, R.I.

Cabin Floor

Post by Bob Lincoln »

We have a Cape Dory 30. The interior is natural teak which we oil regularly. We are thinking of putting a few coats of varnish on the floor to brighten it. Anybody have any comments or suggestions?
Jim Evans

I'm Happy with Varnish on the Sole

Post by Jim Evans »

I refinished my cabin sole with Interlux Schooner varnish (#96), and I've been very happy with it. I've had no problems with slipping on a wet sole, and it wears very well. I believe the PO used a poly finish, and I used a non-toxic chemical stripper to remove it, followed by a good rinse, and light sanding. It was a lot of work, but I'm glad I did it.

I'm now in the process of using Interlux satin varnish (#60) on the cabin joinery, and I've been happy with the results so far.
Jim Evans
Dave H

ventilation

Post by Dave H »

What are you guys doing/planning to do about the varnish fumes in the confined space of the cabin? I've been wondering if it's possible to do this in a way that's reasonably healthy.
Dave
Jim Evans

Regarding Ventilation

Post by Jim Evans »

Good point, Dave. I should have mentioned that a respirator is required for application of varnish down below. The fumes get strong. Once it's dry, though, it's fine.
Jim Evans