CD-27 repower -- Yanmar 2YM15 and Beta BZ482

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Andy Denmark

CD-27 repower -- Yanmar 2YM15 and Beta BZ482

Post by Andy Denmark »

Anyone have first-hand experience with the Yanmar 2YM15? It's relatively new but seems a good replacement for the Westerbeke 13. If anyone out there in Cape Dory land (or any other land) can offer comments I'd be most appreciative.

The other engine I'm considering is the Betamarine BZ 482. I'm sure there are some repowers out there using this engine as it has been around awhile. Again, comments appreciated.

Thanks in advance...........
________
HOST AND DESIGN
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:35, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Chapple

repowering CD27

Post by Bill Chapple »

Andy, about 2 years ago I repowered Pagoo with the BZ482. So far it has been an excellent engine with a lot more power than the old Yanmar YSM. I did not do the work myself but had the mechanic at our boatyard do it. He also put a new BZ482 in Dick Bartel's CD25D and I think Dick is pretty happy.
Clay Stalker

Yanmar

Post by Clay Stalker »

Hi Andy-

The previous owner of Yankee Lady installed a Yanmar 2YM15 in her in 2006 and it now has 55 hours on it.....so as you can tell I really haven't motored with it much. It runs a bit smoother and quieter than my previous 2GMF but is similar otherwise. I have always liked Yanmars for their reliability and simplicity....this is my third one and never a single issue of any kind. I don't know much about Betas other than the folks who have installed them are very pleased with them. I have never heard anything negative about them.
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
Ben Thomas

Beta repower

Post by Ben Thomas »

Andy, the BZ-482 would be an excellent choice for your 27.
Don't forget that I am the Oregon Dealer for Beta Marine and can give you lots of info. and great pricing (discounts)
Ben Thomas Oregon Marine Industries
Andy Denmark

Repower

Post by Andy Denmark »

Bill & Clay,

Thanks for the input. I may be in touch depending on the engine decision.

Ben,

I'll contact you via PM. Basically I'm headed in the direction of the easiest installation -- hopefully one that doesn't require modification of the engine mounts, i.e., as close to a drop-in as can be done. Exhaust, raw water hookup, throttle/shift linkage, electricals, are all pretty easy once the mounting stuff is resolved.

I've got the W-13, Yanmar, and Beta dimensions on the drawing board now to see how they stack up against one another.

I'm also looking for a decent, non-country club type of marina out there as the waiting lists are ominous and I need to get on one. Daughter leans toward Edmonds Municipal Marina but that's really pretty high end - but it may be typical of what's available. Everette is another marina I looked at a year ago. Any input on this would help a lot.

Thanks

Anyway, check your PM's.
________
L66 Engine
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:35, edited 1 time in total.
Dick Barthel

Bill is right!

Post by Dick Barthel »

Andy,

Bill is right. I am very happy with the Beta. I'd be happy to answer any questions also. I have some pictures of the repower if you're interested.

Dick
Sailing Soldier

formerly CD 28 #177

Volvo

Post by Sailing Soldier »

My local Volvo dealer matched the price for a comparable Beta & Yanmar. I repowered my old CD 28 with a D-20 (18hp) last year. A D-10 may be adequate for your 27. It's worth a look. If the price is the same, you'll have better resale value. the new Volvos are unbelievably quiet & smooth. I picked up 1 knot under power!
Ben Thomas

re-sale value

Post by Ben Thomas »

The down side of repowering if you plan on selling, is that you rarely make all your investment back, Regardless of the brand of engine used. Sad but true.
All the newer engines on the market today have smaller signatures, lighter , cleaner burning & better fuel efficiencys. Some still, are smoother and quieter than others. If you plan on keeping the boat, maintenance costs related to servicing the engine will be a factor in saving money. Air, oil, fuel filters, impellors, belts, pencil zincs.

Some engine manufacturers make it hard to get parts except through them at premium prices. others offer, well, only one that I know of provides two years worth of service parts and a list of cross referenced part numbers so you can go into any auto parts store for them.
Another factor is, how easy is it to reach those maintenance items to change out. Do you need a mirror to change out an impellor? or reach around tight quarters with out being able to actually see what you are doing.
All engines if taken proper care of and matched up to the correct prop dia./pitch and well maintained will last a really long time.
Its all about personal choice and doing the research to find what best suits you, your boat and your wallet.
With that in mind, you can't go wrong!
Keep the board posted on what you decide to do.
Ben
Tim Mertinooke

Re: Bill is right!

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

Dick Barthel wrote: I have some pictures of the repower if you're interested.
Dick,
Would it be possible to post the pics for everyone to see? If you like, I could host the pictures and post them if you e-mail them to me. Tim
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"