RFI on the Repowering of a CD33 Hull

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Neil Kozlowski

RFI on the Repowering of a CD33 Hull

Post by Neil Kozlowski »

If you have repowered your CD33 hull, I would like to know what brand/model propulsion system you used, the number of hours you have on the system, your comments about your selected system, and if you are satisfied with the result.

Please send me an email, PM or post your reply if you prefer. Thanks.
Neil Kozlowski
Ariel CD330 #146
Chris Reinke
Location: CD330 - Innisfail (Gaelic for "A Little Bit Of Heaven on Earth"), Onset, MA

I decided to rebuild not repowered

Post by Chris Reinke »

Neil - I evaluated several option in repowering my CD330 3/2 season ago. When I evaluated just the finance side of the equation I decided upon remanufacturing my existing Westerbeke M-30. Any replacement motor was going to include a new glassed in engine bed (mine was fine) and extensive yard costs. I decided to pull my existing "old girl" using the clubs forklift. I secured it on a bed of 4x4 posts and drove it to Hansen Marine (MA) for a rebuild over the winter. I had them do a very extensive rebuild process including many new and upgraded components (alternator, starter, heat exchanger, wiring harness, etc.).

While the boat was out of the water for the winter I replaced my shaft, coupling, stern tube, cutlass bearing, and installed a new dripless packing gland.

I picked up the motor and reinstalled it myself in the spring. Removal was a one day project, reinstalling all the connections and replacing all the hoses was another all day project, and finally the shaft alignment was another all day project.

I figured the cost of the rebuild, stern tube replacement, new shift and everything else I upgraded was still less than what I would have spent for just a repower installation....excluding my labor costs which come very cheap.

I apologize that I am not able to provide you with any clear recommendation. It was a difficult and lengthy decision so I can only share my thoughts and experiences.

Best of luck.