Maintenance Book

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

D Rush

Maintenance Book

Post by D Rush »

Xmas is on it's way and I need to submit my Family's XMAS Grab gift suggestion. I'm thinking that I should ask for a book on Sailboat maintenance, me being a newbie at boat ownership.
A friend whose brother owns a sailboat recommended "Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual ".
Has anyone seen or used "Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual"? Would anyone recommend this book?

I know Don Casey wrote the "This Old Boat" book.
renmihalov

Don Casey's books

Post by renmihalov »

I just bought my cd27 and bought the Casey book to go with it from Amazon for under $40. It was alot cheaper from Amazon than from West Marine. When Peter Baumgartner restored his London (cd27) he cited the Casey book, This Old Boat, as a source and he also cited Nigel Calder's book Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual . Both look terrific. But I need to start with the Casey book and work up to Calder. I think it too was under $40 from Amazon. You won't go wrong with the Casey book.
Rennie Mihalovic
Greenbelt, Md
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

I agree

Post by Evergreen »

I agree 100% with the above post from Rennie. In fact I followed the same path and have been very happy with both books.

Philip & Sharon
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Its, 5 or 6 books in one, There is hardly a repair or maintenance topic that is not covered.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
D Rush

Re: Don Casey's books

Post by D Rush »

renmihalov wrote:. When Peter Baumgartner restored his London (cd27) he cited the Casey book, This Old Boat, as a source and he also cited Nigel Calder's book Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual .
I've been to Peter Baumgartner's website (http://www.pbaumgartner.com/) and enjoy viewing the pictures of London and reading of his adventures restoring his CD27. Luckily my boat is in better condition than Peter's London before his restoration. I've already added a bunch of tasks to my project list just from reading articles about Peter's restoration project.
Denis
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

This is a very good book and a great resource to keep onboard.

CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
Judith

Post by Judith »

We bought "The Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual " right off, thinking we'd need it for all the major issues of owning an 1984 sailboat (the sort of structural/engine issues that are so often discussed on this board). There's a wealth of information on that sort of thing, which will no doubt come in handy when we finally stop sailing and address the bigger maintenance projects.

In the meantime, the book has mentored us through replacing battens, repairing batten pockets, installing a new leechline, troubleshooting some electrical problems, scoping out diesel engine repair, installing two new faucets, doing our first big fiberglass repair (on the dinghy), and planning a weathercloth and new sail cover--all before we've even used it as originally anticipated.

So I'm quite happy with the book.

Judith
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
Dean Abramson

Go for it!

Post by Dean Abramson »

Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual is a fantastic book (actually, a collection of books bound as one). The text is easy to follow, it is very detailed, and the illustrations are amazing.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
D Rush

It's on my list

Post by D Rush »

Thanks for all the responses.
It's obvious that "Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual" is a must have for my bookshelf and my boat.
So it's going on my suggestion list for the family XMAS Grab.
Hopefully Santa thinks I was a good boy this year.
Denis