Need Some Hose Help

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

shavdog

Need Some Hose Help

Post by shavdog »

I was going to inspect the gate valves but was stopped because the hose which I believe is original was impossible to take off without destroying...I needed to replace the hose...anyway, there arent alot of vendors to choose from around here so I went into the local marinemax and bought two feet of their hose with the wire inside of it...the hose length for the cockpit drain is only about 10 inches and its s shaped...after installing both hoses I noticed kinks in both hoses...that has a bad smell to it...I am going to west marine on thurs and was wondering if someone could give me a type of hose to look for...it has to keep its shape with a quick s shape...inside diameter is one inch...thanks..craig....79typhoon.
Gary H

Ty hoses

Post by Gary H »

I replaced the hoses on my Ty last year. I wound up having the local auto parts store match them up with pre-formed curved radiator hoses. These have the proper curve built in to them and do not have to be bent and risk getting kinked. I realize that they are not marine hoses but I figured that if they can handle 200 degree antifreeze under pressure, they should be able to handle lake water under no pressure.
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

Thanks Gary...thats a good idea...i'll make up a wire template since I destroyed my original hoses and try that unless I find a hose at west marine that wont kink...thanks again
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

Gary...I went to west marine in minneapolis today and none of their hoses would work for me...I then went over to a auto parts store that I use to go to when we lived in mpls and they thought the one inch inside diameter might be hard to find in a prefitted radiator hose...they indicated most start at one and a quarter...you know if yours is the same size?...i'll try another parts house up here....thanks..craig
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Marine hoses for beneath the waterline use

Post by Kurt »

Hoses that connect to thru hull fittings beneath the waterline are critically important to the safety of your boat. Do not cut corners in this area. I suggest you look at Trident brand marine exhaust and water hose. It's available in many sizes from 1/2" to 10" in diameter. You may have to order it online, but it's the best hose you can install on your boat. It's USCG, ABYC, NMMA and SAE approved for beneath the waterline use. There's a type thats designed for tight curves. You'll sleep better at night...especially if you're sleeping on your boat.
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

URL for Trident marine hose

Post by Kurt »