Winterizing advice for newbie 22D owner

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Buck

Winterizing advice for newbie 22D owner

Post by Jim Buck »

I just purchased a 1984 CD 22D with a Triad trailer and brought it home to the garage. The boat was not used this past year but the PO said it was winterized before last winter. The surveyor noted the 1GM (rebuilt in 2000) has good compression but he refused to start it out of the water. (Something about bad karma or bearings) I’d like to change the oil but everything I read on this board indicates I have to start the engine to warm it prior to changing oil. For various reasons the boat has to stay on the trailer in the garage and I don’t want to blow anti-freeze or water all over the wall and/or burn up the cutless bearing. (btw, my buddy blew into the exhaust and produced a gurgle in the muffler.) My questions are thus: Is there a way to ensure winterization has occurred? Would a trouble light under the oil pan for a couple hours provide enough heat to do an adequate oil change? Can I pour anti-freeze into the exhaust port? Sorry for the silly questions but the diesel is much different than the Seagull on my past Ty. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
krebsie

Fire Her up

Post by krebsie »

Hey Jim
Congrats on your new 22d she is a fine boat. I just winterized mine last weekend. (you will have to do this outside, if you do this indoors you will make a mess of your garage) What I do is take a bucket down below filled with water and run a garden hose to the bucket. Take off the water intake hose from the seacock and place it in the bucket of water. Make sure your engine is out of gear (dont want to run prop while boat is on the hard) and give it a little throttle. Go ahead and fire the engine, should get a few plumes of black smoke, but you gotta love the sound of the diesel! Run the engine at about 2,000 to 3,000 rpms and have a buddy at the valve start feeding the bucket with the garden hose. Just keep an eye on the level of the water in the bucket and get it so as much water is running in through the hose as out through the engine...you get the picture. Let her run for about 10 minutes or so...that should heat up the oil a little, just keep in mind that the oil will not get that hot....turn the engine off. Then cut off the top of a plastic one gallon milk jug and place it under the engine, there will be a large nut that almost looks like a drain plug at the bottom of the engine, go ahead and loosen this and it should drain most of your oil. There is however a spring mechanism behind the drain nut, no biggie, just dont let it slide out (I think it is pressure relief or something). Put the nut back on, change your filter add oil (I use Rotella). Then mix a gallon of 50/50 antifreeze. Place the intake hose into the antifreeze container and let the engine fire. Make sure she takes the full gallon and you should be good to go.. Also where did you buy the boat, and if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay?
Good luck
Sincerely
-Eric

Sincerely
-Eric
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Hello Eric and Jim

Jim I agree with Eric on the process of running the engine on the trailer. I have done this multiple time and have to do it yet again in the coming days. As long as the bucket doesnt run dry its not a problem.

Eric, what drain plug are you talking about? I have a 1GM in my 25D and there is no such creature on my engine unless I am missing one. It would be great if I were as it would make oil changes significantly easier. Please elaborate?

thanks Eric and welcome aboard Jim. Jim if you arent already a member of the CDSOA, them you should consider it as it is a wonderful organization, pays a part of the cost of operating this board, and increases the value of our beloved boats signficantly. Eric if you are not a member you too should consider joining.

Fair winds and Happy Thanksgiving.
Bill Member #250.
krebsie

Post by krebsie »

Thanks for the invite...I will be joining....
Well I should say that I dont think it is a drain plug, but rather a pressure relief valve or something of the sort. If memory serves me right, it sits on the lowest part of the engine just left of the crankshaft pulley. I can check for you and if you want, snap a picture this weekend. It is a pretty big nut though and I know that it serves a different purpose than draining oil, but It has worked well for me....beats sucking the oil out.
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

When we had our 25D (with a 1GM), I always let the engine suck two gallons through, just to be sure. You are winterizing both the engine and the exhaust system. Remove the thermostat before you do it, to be certain that the antifreeze goes everywhere it needs to.

I did not know of any drain plug on my 25D, and the manual said to draw the old oil out through the dipstick tube. ??

If you cannot move the boat outdoors, maybe you could tape some, say, dryer hose on the transom over the exhaust outlet, to direct the outflow into a garbage can. Pulllleeeeze don't do this without the garage door wide open for ventilation! The trans needs to be in neutral; you won't have to worry about the cutless bearing.

I am not a mechanic, so take all this for what it's worth. But I did always winterize my own engine. Yours may well be winterized already, but I would not take the chance. Unless your garage is heated.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Jim Buck

CD 22D winterization

Post by Jim Buck »

Thank you all for the help with my winterization questions! You guys rock. I will remove the thermostat before firing her up and follow the bucket and hose method. I know my 1st year membership is almost up but I certainly will be renewing soon. The cost of membership is a pittance compared to the assistance given and dollars saved.