Potential CD 28 owner seeks 'informed opinions'.....

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

Though I should add a bit here from my experiences so far.

Unless your principle reason for sailing is to race, then buy the boat with the most displacement... up to a point. You don't need a 20,000lb 28 footer. While a light - very light 28 will go fast under under its ideal conditions, those conditions will not always prevail during your sailing season. And when its real snotty the light weights can beat the hell out of you, even if nothing breaks. As is often said "The boat can take more than the passengers".

For real performance a well sailed Olsen 30 will, boat for boat, run away and hide from most of us.

Wineglass sections will also give you a boat that is more seakindly, usually. That's a big plus in my book, even though it means more wetted surface.

As for performance and pointing ability I can say this. My boat will point higher than I am willing to sail in anything much over 15 knots, just too much flying off waves and uncomfortable motion.

With good light air sails the boat will keep moving in 5 knots of wind, making about 1.5-2 knots. No too bad.

The ideal for me is 12-15 knts. With that wind I can make 120-130 miles a day in what is normally kinder seas.

When the wind is more than 15 knots and I am feeling adventurous I push the boat hard and often top 140 miles a day. The best so far is 161 miles in 24 hours, little or no current. That's over a 6.5 knot average and in 20 knots of wind, maybe gusting occasionally to 25.

As for construction my website notes the work I thought necessary for what I am doing. But unless your plans are for long distance the stock boat is probably fine. The normal complaints of water logged balsa, gelcoat cracks and such can be dealt with pretty easily if not too extensive.

Initially my two biggest complaints were leaking hull to deck joint and very difficult stuffing box access. Most of the other things I did on the boat were to keep me happy when in the middle of nowhere.

My 28 was built in 1978 and has the bridge deck. For what I wanted to do with the boat I would not have bought one without the bridge deck. Although there are work arounds.

With my boat building background I often though how I would have built the boat, from say a hull and deck kit. But at this stage that is a moot point.

As for a sense of confidence in the boat, no problem. I have been in 35 knots of wind a number of times and in 50 knots a couple of times, once for about 6 hours. I never felt concerned about my safety or the boat's stability. My normal actions when those conditions start is to heave to and go below to read a book, fix a meal or just rest. Great options if you have the sea room. Fenix always looked after herself and me just fine.

On a positive note many people recognize my boat as a Cape Dory. Almost everone likes the way she looks and many have thought Fenix is a bigger boat, 34-36 feet. That's always good for the ego.

Since I do not know anything about the other boats in your list I cannot offer comparisons. I did own a Venture 17 a long time ago. I remember surfing it into the inlet at Port Canaveral once, quite a thrill.

I did meet a man on my travels who owned and raced a Triton. He was and avid racer at the time he owned the boat. He told me the Triton would easily beat a CD28 all the time.

Take care,
Fred
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
Clay Stalker

Good Points

Post by Clay Stalker »

Fred:

Your comments sum up the most important considerations for anyone considering the purchase of any boat, things that have been talked about at length on this board:

What is your budget?
How will you sail, race or cruise, or both?
Coastal, offshore, across oceans?
What is more important, speed or comfort?
How important are aesthetics to you?
What is the reputation of the designer, and the builder?

Fred's extensive journeys on his CD28 would probably be a nightmare in something like a Tartan 28, yet he is just as safe and comfortable in his boat as he would be in another 28 footer costing twice as much. Goes to show you that for most applications, it is hard to go wrong with a Cape Dory. As for some comments that these are not that well constructed or finished, I would guess that they are probably the best in their price range for both.
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
Tommy Wade

CD28 Owner Comments

Post by Tommy Wade »

Greetings All,
Having owned a 28 since February I had to weigh in on this one. I LOVE the boat. Mine is a 1983 model. This is my second "big" boat. The first one was a Com-Pac 25. Sailing her is a real joy even in light air. In fact two weeks ago I blew past a larger fin keeled Hunter in about 5 to 6 knots of wind. Bottom line on speed - it depends more on the sailor than the boat. That being said, if you are looking for a performance yacht, I don't believe you will find what you are looking for in a full keel.

The only cons I can report on the CD28 are:
Access to the stuffing box is impossible. I recently re-packed mine and it was a three hand job. The custom Spartan wrenches are no help as there isn't enough clearance around the nuts to use them. What should have been a 30 minute job took myself and a paid professional 2.5 hours.

There have been many problems reported with the chain plates on this model. Fortunately mine are completely intact, probably because the boat has been well cared for and on fresh water most of her life.

Every rose has it's thorns.

Tommy
CD28 Hull # 346 "Intrepid"
Ben schifano
Location: 1975 Cape Dory 28, Hull#46 "Donnybrook" Rochester New York

CD-28

Post by Ben schifano »

Hi everyone....we have owned a 1975 CD 28,"Donnybrook", for going on 8 years. We sailed a 1975 Typhoon for about ten years. When we purchased this vessel it was from the original owner who did absolutely no improvements on the boat, so it was totally original. The first thing I did was replace the plastic ports with New Found Metal Bronze ports for about 2000.00. The original ports leaked so bad that the previous owner put tupperware catch basins below each port. My deck needed to be reglassed around the cutty...it was sort of soft. I thought the aux would give me trouble...a 10 hp Farymann... but it has been perfectly trouble free.
The only other improvement I have made is the installation of a shore power receptacle. This vessel has been our dream boat. It is a joy to sail in all conditions, and she sure is pretty. Oh yeah...last year we installed a cockpit bimini top...The best 850.00 I ever spent. By the way , we payed about the same price that your talking about....I would do it all over again. GOOD LUCK.
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Post by Steve Kuhar »

Richard,

I am reminded of a rather scathing review that Practical Sailor wrote a good number of years ago of the Bayliner Buccaneer, which, if you have never seen one looks sort of like a Pontiac Aztec. They were immediately brought to task by a number of loyal owners who demanded a retraction. Practical Sailors one line reply was "Maybe penultimate clunker is too harsh a term".

Anyway I really was sincere in my congratulations in both keeping your Venture afloat, and in your accomplishments in sailing it. You certainly have more experience in the boat than anyone I know. My own experience in a Venture amounts to a number of easy daysails in a friends Venture of Newport. Again, I am sure that you will be happy with any of the boats on your list, but I believe that the clear best choice would be the CD28.

Steve Kuhar