Typhoon Motor Question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

shavdog

Typhoon Motor Question

Post by shavdog »

The Typhoon I bought came without motor...I did however receive the motor mount...My situation is alittle unique in that I live on a large inland lake and the ty will be tied up to our dock..The only time I will need power is to get back home if the wind quits..This could be in most cases no more than four miles but in probably in the mile or two range...I have two ideas...

Buy a big minnkota trolling motor powered by a group 27 deep charge battery...total cost would be about 350..I could then use the trolling motor on my fishing boat..I could use one

Buy a small outboard...don't know what brand or size..

Whats everyone else using for powering the Typhoon..thanks..craig
Joe Montana
Member 781

Post by Joe Montana »

Shavdog, I have a 4 hp, which is heavier and larger than I'd prefer, but I like having the extra power because I sail in a river with strong currents, bridges, etc. Lake sailing is a lot different.

If you search "Typhoon engines" you will find other useful discussions on this subject.
Paul McCary

Ty motor

Post by Paul McCary »

Go with the electric. You don't need the HP of an outboard, so why make your boat uglier and more unbalanced than it needs to be?

I had a Tohatsu 4 hp on my Ty because I sailed in an area with strong currents. It was a great little machine, but it never looked good hanging off the stern.
Paul McCary
Impromptu
Pine Island Marina
paul marti

option 3

Post by paul marti »

If it's never more than 4 miles and chances are you would start working your way home as the wind dies, how about some oarlocks and a good set of oars. A bit of cardiovascular work, save money and help the enviroment. I'd bet you'd watch the wind closely and become a better sailor, just a thought! Paul
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

Thanks for the replies....The rowing option is interesting...theres some hardware already mounted on the decks behind the winches that might be bases for orrs...My last choice is an outboard..I don't have any currents to worry about...I plan on calling minnkota today and get an opinion from them..I thought I'd mount the battery between the cockpit drain hoses down below to keep the boat centered..
Gary H

Post by Gary H »

I also sail my Typhoon on an inland lake (about 10 miles long). I have a 3.5hp outboard which is more than enough. During my first year, I have only used it to get in and out of the mooring field on windy days. There are a bunch of Ty's in the mooring field and the more experienced sailors have no motors. I am also not crazy about how the boat looks or sits with the outboard attached and I am rarely successful at filling the tank without getting gas on my hands and in the lake. I like the idea of an electric trolling motor.
altontom

Electric trolling motor

Post by altontom »

Has anybody had experience powering a typhoon with an electric motor. I've seen one Minnkota motor with 50lbs of thrust. How does thrust compare to HP. How long will this electric motor run on a good battery charge? Thanks
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

One of these was recently reviewed in Practical Sailor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

The review was somewhat mixed but it was a protoype which was being evaluated. It might work well in the situations.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... assNum=820
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

When people say they have a long shaft outboard....how long is this...the minn kota trolling motor I am looking at has a std 36 inch shaft ...I held a yd stick up to the mount and it looks plenty long...whats the length of a long shaft outboard in genl...thanks.craig... pretty sure I am going this route for my situation...I probably will buy a minn kota vector 55 series for 259 and another hundred for a group 27 deep chg battery...thanks.
barnettg
Location: 1986 Typhoon Daysailer (hull #141), "Ondine", Lagoon Point, Whidby Island, Washington.

Post by barnettg »

Shavdog.
I use a Honda 2 hp long shaft on my Ty. A lot of people use these because they're very light and 4 stroke so don't produce a lot of smelly fumes. Short shaft outboards are 15", long shaft 20" and extra long, 25" (measure from the top of the inside top of the bracket to cavitation plate). As long as your prop is in the water while under way (consider the effect of going forward or wave action) you'll be fine. The long shaft works fine for me on Puget Sound. 2 hp is plenty unless you have to fight really strong winds.
Glenn
Glenn Barnett
Paul McCary

Long shaft

Post by Paul McCary »

If your only need is to get back to the dock on a windless day (when there would likely be no waves) you don't need to worry about shaft length. It gets really dicey when you're motoring into 2+ foot waves and the prop pops out of the water every 8 seconds. Then it seems like no outboard shaft is long enough.

After reading the other posts, I'd definitely try the rowing option. You can always buy an electric motor later if you decide you need one.
Paul McCary
Impromptu
Pine Island Marina
Christian Sava
Typhoon weekender (1973) #506
Newburyport, MA

Post by Christian Sava »

I bought a new (2007) Tohatsu 3.5 hp long shaft. It's light and works against the current of the Merrimac river with little trouble. It may be overkill for you, however. I always take it off of the mount after use and store it down below. I really disliked the look of any motor hanging off of the transom of such a great looking little boat.

Good luck!