need advise

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

faraway

need advise

Post by faraway »

Sense getting Faraway (CD30 B) some 8 months ago I have relied heavy on info from this site.
Now though I have a hard decision to make and feel I really need all the advise I can get.
As I said I got Faraway some 7 or 8 months ago to my great joy. Now to my regret I am having to move to Sicily for a 3 to 5 year period.
My problem is
Ship her to Sicily//I'm checking but the price I am thinking would be to high for me

Store her for that amount of time//In Fl I have heard of some that have

Sell her// would surely break my heart.

So which is the best choice sell or stow????

If stow some advise as to best things to do.

Bob
paul marti

sicily is an Island

Post by paul marti »

How about sailing her there, best of both worlds. You have a great boat in the Med for 3-5 years... not bad eh!! Paul M.
Brian Johnson
Wilmington, NC

Shipping to Italy

Post by Brian Johnson »

Are you moving with the Navy? I shipped my CD 26D to Naples, IT for a three year assignment. It was not easy but in the end we enjoyed having the boat with us. I'd be happy to talk about my experience moving the boat.
Brian Johnson
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

"To [your] regret [you are] having to move to Sicily" :?: :?: :?:

Respectfully, you have no idea how lucky you are.

My family is from Isnello, Sicilia. I have not yet been able to go (or return) to Sicilia. To be able to spend 3-5 years there (or more) would be something wonderful.

I am told the sailing around Sicilia and its neighboring islands is beautiful. The food, the wine, all is the very best. And, may I say, Sicilian women are the MOST beautiful in the world. :D

I do not know much about a CD 30B but I would suggest you consider sailing (or shipping) her to Sicilia. You will be rewarded

In bocca al lupo :!: :!:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
bill2

two cd'ers

Post by bill2 »

FWIW

One person has a boat that needs a home ( in Florida ? ) for 3-5 years.

Another person ( in Miami FL ) wants a CD but has limited money.

Methinks - person number one and person number two might have been chosen by the fates to work out the appropriate guarantees so they both get what they need.

In real life working out the details would be a deal breaker so probably just another plot for a reality/game show . . . .

:wink:

Good luck person number one and person number two
miguel mascaros
Centerport Harbor NY

ADVISE

Post by miguel mascaros »

How about storage for a year or so until you see what kind of arrangements can be worked out.
Who knows, maybe being in Italy will keep you busyier than expected....
Any CD can be sold at any time....
Wish you the best....
Cheers/Mike
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: need advise

Post by Neil Gordon »

faraway wrote:Ship her to Sicily//I'm checking but the price I am thinking would be to high for me
Do what you can to have the boat with you. You'll regret any other option. Think hard about what "too high" means over the course of 3-5 years. Same for shipping back. Don't forget to subtract the cost of storage if you leave the boat in storage or the cost of lifelong therapy if you sell your dream.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Russell

Post by Russell »

Shipping boats is insanely expensive and getting more so. Dockwise, a popular company to ship with due to not need to build a custom cradle, their prices have more then doubled in the last 2 years. I would not be suprised if shipping the boat to Europe would cost about as much as the boat is worth. Some friends of mine just shipped a boat to France and the 36' boat cost over $20K to ship.

If you have a good price on storage for the boat, then I would moth ball her and return to love her in the future. Or, if you have an itch to sail and limited funds, sell her and buy yourself a boat in Sicily.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Dean Abramson

Other option?

Post by Dean Abramson »

I have no idea what the answer to this would be, but does anyone have any idea what it would cost to hire a professional delivery crew?

Some skippers might not want to cross the Atlantic in a 30. But I bet Lin and Larry Pardey would! Of course, a skipper might require upgrades which would also be costly.

You might want to look into hiring a delivery crew, then going along for the ride yourself, if time permits, and if you feel comfortable with that.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Russell

Post by Russell »

A transatlanic crew with be expensive, just consider your are paying probably 3 people for at least a month, plus their provisions. And unless the boat has gone through a recent refit, I suspect it is not ready for a crossing and thus you have to factor in that cost as well.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)