Diesel soot on transom,What removes it safely?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

rhunter
Location: CP 23/3,CP16, Alberg 22,Bayfield 25.CD admirer-looking for right boat

Diesel soot on transom,What removes it safely?

Post by rhunter »

Don't want to kill the fish in the boat basin! Apparently the PO did not "blow out" the yanmar often enough and it was rather smokey.I now run it up to max RPM for a couple of mins prior to shutdown. Also motor at max occasionally. This seems to have practically elininated the smoking.The motor is in VGC-just checked by a good boat mechanic. Bob
jneely

Colinite

Post by jneely »

Colinite Cleaner has always worked well for me. First I clean with Boat Soap and water and then use the Colonite. Some elbow grease is required, but there is no discharge of toxic chemicals into the creek.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Soot On Transom

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Bob,

Ecologically speaking, I use a product called Simple Green in situations like the one you mention. It is a non toxic, biodegradable, concentrated, ecologically safe cleaner.

It can be used straight from the spray bottle or diluted as much as 1:30. The printed label on the back states that it removes grease, oil, CARBON, dirt, pet stains etc. and for about a dozen other things that it is effective on.

I buy it in any supermarket for maybe $3,00 or so.

It pleases me to know that there are some people who are concerned with the health of our planet.

Good luck,
O J
Russell

Post by Russell »

I have used both Simple Green as already suggested and also Fantastik both with fine results. Spray it on and let it sit a couple minutes and I find the soot wipes off easily with a sponge after, if its really on there good a scotch brite pad will work.

If your hull is painted I would follow the recomendations of the paint manuacturer. But I cant imagine Simple Green or Fantastik would be too harsh for any paint one would put on their hull.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Bill Cochrane
s/v Phoenix

Scrubbing Bubbles

Post by Bill Cochrane »

works great! Also gets the black streaks under the scuppers.
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Post by Kurt »

I use Bon Ami
bottomscraper

Automatic Dishwasher Detergent

Post by bottomscraper »

Tried 4 things this year.

1) Mary Kate On & Off - This does a great job on the hull mustache but not much for diesel soot.

2) Simple Green - Ok for first layer but didn't do a great job

3) Interlux Heavy Duty Stain Remover - This made a big difference but still didn't do it for some of the stains. This is a gel so it stays in place a bit longer than the others.

4) Kirkland (Costco House Brand) Liquid Gel Automatic Dishwasher Detergent - DING DING DING We have a winner, Just a little bit on a sponge and the stains that the others would not touch came right off! I suspect other brands would also work.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Ron Churgin

Post by Ron Churgin »

I have really bad soot problems on my transom. I have tried running the engine at high rpms and the other remedies discussed to no avail.

I am getting good at cleaning the transom however. I use Fantastik with bleach, but I suspect a 50/50 solution of bleach and water in a spray bottle will work just as well. It removes most of the soot very easily with a light scrubbing.

The idea of a water friendly cleaner is nice, but think about it. If you clean off the oily residue while the boat is in the water the oil is going into the water. Even if your cleaning agent is environmentally friendly the black stuff you are cleaning is probably polluting.
Ron Churgin
Dick Barthel

Post by Dick Barthel »

Ron Churgin wrote:
The idea of a water friendly cleaner is nice, but think about it. If you clean off the oily residue while the boat is in the water the oil is going into the water. Even if your cleaning agent is environmentally friendly the black stuff you are cleaning is probably polluting.
Yes, but less so in total. [how's that for a Gordonian response (as in Neil)]

Dick
Oswego John

Oily Residue

Post by Oswego John »

I usually wipe the softened mess up with paper towels and toss everything into a plastic bag.

Hmmm, let's see now. Trees are being cut down to make paper towels. That can't be good, can it? Plastic bags are disposed of in land fills or burned. Yetch.

I guess you can't win for losing.

Best to just sail. :D

O J
Trawler Joe

No wax?

Post by Trawler Joe »

I've read in other places that waxing the transom will worsen the soot problem, and that you should leave it unwaxed.

I have not tried that personally. I waxed and coated with teflon, and still collect quite a bit of soot over time.
Oswego John

Trawler Joe

Post by Oswego John »

Hey Joe,

No offense meant, man. I just wasn't thinking when I said "Best to just sail"

Really sorry about that. :oops:
O J
Trawler Joe

Stinkpotter

Post by Trawler Joe »

LOL, no offense taken. I realize this board is mainly inhabited by sailors, but I love Cape Dorys and just can't stay away! Someday I'll probably own a Cape Dory sailboat as well.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Mr. Clean pads work, too

Post by Joe Myerson »

Hey Trawler Joe:

Somebody on this board mentioned Mr. Clean magic pads (I think I've got that right) as a good way to remove black streaks. I also find these very effective for removing the diesel mustache from the transom.

One drawback: They also remove wax. However, if you're correct about taking wax off the transom, that shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, I'll soon find out. Tomorrow is scheduled as haul-out day (boo-hoo), and I'll wipe off the transom before leaving Creme Brulee in the tender hands of the yard for another season.

Fair winds to those of you who have a longer sailing season.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627