Bomar hatch seal replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

seadog6532
Location: last boat 31' C&C Corvette, 0wner of CD30k #112 Arianna.

Bomar hatch seal replacement

Post by seadog6532 »

Has anyone had any luck replacing the Bomar hatch seals? I'm having a bit of leaking and was wondering if I can get replacement seals or if I need to get some weather seal and make my own. I looked at West Marine today and was not too impressed with the quality of material I saw.
Thanks
Mark
Mark and Anna of Arianna CD30K #112
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Yup we replace the seals on one of our Bomar hatches. If I remember correctly I purchased the material from either Hamilton or Defender. It came with a sticky back and has held up for at least 3 years. Our other hatch gasket hasn't been changed yet. We did rebed both hatches last year which wasn't as bad a job as I expected.

If they are the cast hatch the gasket material is part number is:

P100-52

It is sold by the foot and runs about $4-$4.25 a foot.

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,11738.htm

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=834163
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Trawler Joe

Excellent service from Pompanette

Post by Trawler Joe »

I did mine on our 28 (power). Our hatch was probably different than yours, but if you have any trouble identifying the gasket you need, call Pompanette (who makes Bomar). They were simply outstanding in helping me figure out what hatch model I have and what part(s) I needed. They took several calls from me as I described the hatch, and the rep gave me her email address so I could email pictures.

They'll sell you the gasket too, but the rep suggested I get it from a marine supply because it would be a bit cheaper. Once I had the part number, finding it online was no problem.

Go here: http://www.pompanette.com/bomar
Click "Online Catalog"
Then look for "Spare parts - extruded hatches"

Here are some photos and description of what I did:
http://trawlerjoe-maintenance.blogspot. ... hatch.html
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Bomar is a division of Pompanette, Inc.

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

I replaced the seal on our main hatch in 2004. I purchased all of the supplies needed -- the gasket and the glue -- from the manufacturer. If you don't want to purchase the stuff from them, you can at least look to see which items you need and purchase them elsewhere.

Anyway, the gastket is Bomar Part# P100-52 9/16" and $4.25 per foot. The glue is Bomar Part# P100-50 and is $21.00 per tube.

Bomar is a division of Pompanette, Inc. Just scroll to the top of this page and click on the "Where to Look" link, scroll down through the list and click on the link for Pompanette, Inc. to get to their web site.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Wayne Grenier

Post by Wayne Grenier »

You also can bring a piece of the gasket to a local auto glass/glass company-they may have something that fits-I found a little bit of water proof grease on the gasket helps as well-eventaully the gasket gets compressed-especialy where the clamps are and it starts to leak-and I hate leaks! if you can find "genuine replacement parts" buy enough to last you for a few years-
Stan W.

You don't need any glue.

Post by Stan W. »

As bottomscraper already said, the gasket comes with adhesive already on it. The Pompanette/Bomar site is somewhat misleading on this point. The adhesive referred to actually is some overpriced polysulfide for bedding the hatch to the deck. Definitely save a few bucks and order through Defender or Hamilton and not directly from Pompanette/Bomar.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: You don't need any glue.

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Stan W. wrote:As bottomscraper already said, the gasket comes with adhesive already on it. The Pompanette/Bomar site is somewhat misleading on this point. The adhesive referred to actually is some overpriced polysulfide for bedding the hatch to the deck. Definitely save a few bucks and order through Defender or Hamilton and not directly from Pompanette/Bomar.
Hi Stan.

The glue is not for bedding the hatch to the deck, it's more like a rubber cement, but it's not that either. You'll get a better seal if you use the glue and not just the adhesive that's already on the gasket.

By the way, use the same glue if you need to replace the gasket around the lid for your icebox. The self-adhesive will definitely not stick to that after it's gotten wet a few times.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Ron M.

Try this stuff

Post by Ron M. »

3M Automotive Weather Strip Adhesive..... is available at auto supply stores. It's a super contact cement like product. I used it on all port and hatch gaskets and it has held up for years. Only put it where you want it,
doesn't come off easily.
________
Volcano Review
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:44, edited 1 time in total.
seadog6532
Location: last boat 31' C&C Corvette, 0wner of CD30k #112 Arianna.

Post by seadog6532 »

Thanks for all the help everyone... As always this is the best board on the internet.
Mark
Mark and Anna of Arianna CD30K #112
Stan W.

Maybe they sent me the wrong tube.

Post by Stan W. »

Cathy Monaghan wrote:The glue is not for bedding the hatch to the deck, it's more like a rubber cement, but it's not that either. You'll get a better seal if you use the glue and not just the adhesive that's already on the gasket.
All I know is I ordered that part number because I was not aware the gasket already had adhesive and what I received was a tube of Rule brand caulk. I just went with the adhesive that already was on the gasket and so far it has worked fine.
BubbaThePirate

CS28 Main Cabin Hatch

Post by BubbaThePirate »

The PO used silicone to try and keep an old gasket working. Nothing will stick to the hatch frame now.

Has anyone had any success in removing silicone residue?

She is covered up for Winter but I'll need to attack this in the spring.

Thanks!

TrT
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Eat When You're Hungry
Work When You're Broke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member #1005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~