Rusty Chainplates

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

blackwatch

Rusty Chainplates

Post by blackwatch »

I recently removed the on-deck shroud fittings from my CD 27. In the process of banging, crashing, and swearing the cabin was showered with chunks of rusted metal. This appears to be a result of the deterioration of the (steel?) backing plates often discussed on this board. As access for repair is quite limited, I have started to consider the idea of switching to exterior mounted chain plates. Has anyone on the board ever done this or heard of this? I know someone who did this with his 24 ft Bristol and he is quite happy with the result. I would greatly appreciate any comments.

Scott
Russell

Post by Russell »

I beleive Fred did this on his CD28 s/v Fenix. Myself if I have this boat long enough to need a chain plate repair I will also switch to external chainplates.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

I guess your problem is gaining access to this area inside the hull so it can be repaired. Won't you have to do that to install exterior chainplates as well ? I would think some metal would have to be glassed on the interior as structural support for the exterior plates. Then the holes on deck filled. I don't see this saving any work and in my opinion alters the boat's look in an unappealing way.
You will have to remove some or all of a bulkhead and a chunk of liner to expose this area but I think it can be done with a satisfactory end result with some planning and forethought. Just my opinion, either way it's a bit of work.
________
Jugallette
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:44, edited 1 time in total.
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

Jim Stull replaced the chainplates on his CD27 a number of years ago - I remember the posts on the board, and at one point he sent me the pattern for the stainless steel plates he was having made up to replace the glassed-in chainplates.

It definitely seems like a significant repair, and therefore well worth keeping an eye on the chainplates and keeping surface rust away if at all possible.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI