Paint Removal Advice

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

shavdog

Paint Removal Advice

Post by shavdog »

I'm in the process of removing the nonskid paint on my new to me typhoon...I used an orbital sander with 40grit..worked great...the nonskid area is actually raised a 1/16 inch above the rest of the deck..I'm down to a line around the perimeter where the paint was below the nonskid surface level and on deck level...rather than sand and risk scratches where I dont want them, I'd like to use some kind of chemical to remove this quarter inch line around the edge...someone have a sugestion what to use?..is acetone ok or not...thanks..craig
Gary H

Peel Away

Post by Gary H »

I have had a good experience with Peel Away on fiberglass.
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

Gary

Is peel away a product only available at west marine, etc or can I get it home depot....is it like paint stripper?..thanks...craig
Gary H

Post by Gary H »

Craig,
You have to get the marine version which is made for fiberglass. I think I bought if from Defender Corp. online. It is made by Dumond Chemicals. If you type peel away into google, you will find their website. It looks like spackle. You trowel it on and cover it with paper that comes with it. Leave it for 24 hours and then peel away.
Gary
Dalton

Interlux Pintoff

Post by Dalton »

With such a small area I would try Pintoff. Fiberglass paint remover