Cape Dory 30 versus Bristol 32 or Douglas 32

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Gordonjohnmac

Cape Dory 30 versus Bristol 32 or Douglas 32

Post by Gordonjohnmac »

I have been thinking about getting back into active sailing after a few years doing other things. I once owned a Alberg 29 and a Contessa 26. The three boats I have been considering are the Cape Dory (30) or the Bristol (32) or the Douglas. They all have about the same lwl and have full keels. My tendency is to go towards the CD because I owned and enjoyed an Alberg but there are no CD 30's for sale on the east coast of Canada (I live in Halifax), or for that matter no Bristols 32's either.

Since most of you chose the CD, and surely must have considered other boats, maybe you would share your reasons for the CD and that information may help me make a choice.

Gordon
Gordon in Halifax, NS, Canada
Gordonjohnmac

Post by Gordonjohnmac »

Nobody had considered any other full keel boat besides the CD before buying the CD!
Big E
Salem, MA

Post by Big E »

I don't know too much about a Douglass, But I've owned both Bristol & Cape dory sailboats. Both designs have those big, heavy full keels that let you sail when the wind is really blowing. You're probably not going to break any speed records in either, but both are extremely SAFE & STABLE. I just think the Cape Dory is prettier to look at. Good luck!!
Jacksail
Pelican Moon Hull #360
Atlantic Highlands NJ

CD 30 on East Coast

Post by Jacksail »

Gordon

I have a 1986 Cape Dory 30 "B Option." The boat is located in NJ and I would be interested in talking to you about a possible sale.
Please contact me at Jacksail2@comcast.net

Jack
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

Nice article on Bristol 32

Post by John D. »

I love my CD27, but here's an article that was fun to read and made me think highly of the Bristol 32.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01361.html
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

CD30 for sale in MA and ME too

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

A friend of mine is selling her CD30, also a "B" plan cutter, which is currently located in MA on Buzzards Bay. See the following posting which is accessible from the "Buy/Sell..." forum of this board.
http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?p=107069

Closer to home, you'll find a CD30 for sale in Bass Harbor, ME. See it's listing at BoatTrader.com:
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/8/89965428.htm

Hope this helps.

Cathy
CD32 Realizaiton, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Gordonjohnmac

Re: CD 30 on East Coast

Post by Gordonjohnmac »

Jacksail wrote:Gordon

I have a 1986 Cape Dory 30 "B Option." The boat is located in NJ and I would be interested in talking to you about a possible sale.
Please contact me at Jacksail2@comcast.net

Jack
I am not at the point of buying yet, but I will keep that in mind if/when I am. Thank you Jack.
Gordonjohnmac

Re: Nice article on Bristol 32

Post by Gordonjohnmac »

John D. wrote:I love my CD27, but here's an article that was fun to read and made me think highly of the Bristol 32.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01361.html
Thank you John, interesting article. I know of this person - he has a websit at http://www.kestrelboat.com/ where one can read of the boat, his log, and the track of his voyage, etc. They hit a whale, but that did no damage. The steel ship was another matter.
Gordonjohnmac

Re: CD30 for sale in MA and ME too

Post by Gordonjohnmac »

Cathy Monaghan wrote:A friend of mine is selling her CD30, also a "B" plan cutter, which is currently located in MA on Buzzards Bay. See the following posting which is accessible from the "Buy/Sell..." forum of this board.
http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?p=107069

Closer to home, you'll find a CD30 for sale in Bass Harbor, ME. See it's listing at BoatTrader.com:
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/8/89965428.htm

Hope this helps.

Cathy
CD32 Realizaiton, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Thanks Cathy, I see that persons on this site really want to be helpful, which I appreciate.

I had found those boats through http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... Search.jsp , which is a very good site. Also quite a few Bristols for sale in NE USA. There are Douglas 32's in Canada offered from time to time but no CD or Bristol 32's that I can find. I like the appearance of the "B" plan - they do seem quite pricey for essentially the same hull and sailing qualities, but what I have to do is to take a trip down to the USA and look at them personally at make my mind up. I am waiting for very minor surgery at the moment that will keep me at home for awhile, so I guess the trip will have to wait until Spring. If I bought one in the US I would want to sail it back, so ME, MA, NY are more practical options that other states. The reasons for my post was to try to get information from persons who had selected the CD on why they had chosen that one over other full keel boats. Maybe in many cases the reasons is an emotional one and not a fully rational one.
seadog6532
Location: last boat 31' C&C Corvette, 0wner of CD30k #112 Arianna.

Post by seadog6532 »

I've only owned my CD30K for about 2 weeks so I can feel your pain in choosing a boat. A large part of why I spent my money on the Cape Dory is I got a good deal on the boat but another is this sight and the loyal following you find with Cape Dory yachts. people really love these boats and a day will not go by that I don't have someone tell me what a pretty boat I have. I guess the bottom line is after I looked at this boat I just had to have it. No other boat would do for looks , quality, and rugged construction.
Mark and Anna of Arianna CD30K #112
jambalaya

CD 30

Post by jambalaya »

I have a CD 30B at a marina on Tampa Bay which I am getting ready to put on the market. If you would like details I will be happy to send them.

Will Parker
s/v Jambalaya
Will Parker
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I think your resale value is a safer bet with the Cape Dories as the brand has a loyal following. If you maintain it you should be financially in less risk, but you may want to sell back in the US where the boats are known.

As far as an active group of sailors, I have been looking at boat websites since 1995 and on this one since then too. I really cannot think of a more dedicated group than the Cd'ers you'll find here.

The example I give of the power of this is once, in 1998, when I restored an old Typhoon, I posted a question about replacing the seacocks. Within two days I had several very detailed responses from dudes who have done the job - one listed the part numbers I could get from a National chandlery. It was a very large reason I stayed with CD for our CD33. Of course we really loved the boat.

Hope this helps,
Paul
Sailing Soldier

formerly CD 28 #177

Bristol 32

Post by Sailing Soldier »

I owned a CD 28 for several years & now am in the process of restoring a Bristol 32.

The CD 28 & 30 are similar. The Bristol 32 is no better or worse in my estimation. I have sailed them both.

The CD came factory equipped with nicer hardware, such as the Spartan bronze portals, Bowmar hatch, Barlow winches, etc. Nice stuff.

The Bristol has inexpensive aluminum portals, a fiberglass hatch, and the winches are mounted on fiberglass comings as opposed the the CDs bronze pedestals.

However, the Bristol has a beautiful upswept transom akin to the early America's Cup 12 meters. Gorgeous lines!

They both sail very similarly. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. But since neither boat has been manufactured for many years, it all comes down to condition!

Best wishes in your search.

John
Bob Emmons

Post by Bob Emmons »

Hi Gordon,
Both the Bristol and the CD are good boats. I chose the CD because I liked the look of the Bronze ports and hardware. Also the cockpit has a bit more room on the CD. I love the sheer on the Bristol but in the cockpit, it is quite narrow in the aft end!
Good luck!

Bob Emmons
Bob Emmons
CD30 "Red Wing"
Robinhood, ME
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Post by Kurt »

I've compared the Bristol 27 to the CD27 and have observed that the standing rigging is heavier...very overbuilt