Impeller source?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Impeller source?

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi:
I have a Universal M-18 engine in my CD-28 and am looking for an raw water impeller for my spares kit. I was stunned to see a $41.00 price for this item at Marine Diesel Direct on the web. I'm sure if I go to my local Universal engine dealer I'll get the same kind of sticker shock.
Have you found a better (cheaper?) source for these?
Frugally Yours,
Tony Jeske
CD-28 #365
NO REGRETS
San Diego
Al Levesque

Post by Al Levesque »

I am guessing that the engine uses the same Oberdorfer pump that is used in the Universal 5424. The last price I have for the impeller was $25.20 from Hansen Marine and the gasket was $2.30. That was in 2003 and did not involve shipping charges.
Michael Abramson
Yorktown, VA

Jabsco

Post by Michael Abramson »

Jabsco makes a large range of aftermarket impellers that are often offered through West, Defender, etc. They have a large catalog but you will have to have the old impleller in hand to match the dimensions etc. You might be able to email them for the part number then search Google for the best deal on the one you need using the mfr's part number.