chalking

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

faraway

chalking

Post by faraway »

I have noticed that when rubbing my hand over the deck house I get a little white chalking.
What product is best to clean and restore gloss??
Troy Scott

polish

Post by Troy Scott »

Try Flitz. It works well on fiberglass or metal. Go ahead and buy a BIG container. You'll like it. After you get it shiny, wash it and then wax it. Any automotive wax will do, but try to find one without silicone. Silicone will cause problems later when it's time to paint the boat...., even years later. Don't wax the nonskid, of course. Good luck!
Regards,
Troy Scott
Al Levesque

Post by Al Levesque »

I have used either Bon Ami or Soft Scrub with good results. They are inexpensive and easily available. The important ingredient is calcium carbonate which acts as the compound to remove the chalk and polish the surface. It should be done annually to the topsides and the smooth surfaces of the deck, cabin, and cockpit followed by a coat of paste wax. Some use power tools for the buffing etc, doing it by hand is good exercise.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Al Levesque wrote:Some use power tools for the buffing etc, doing it by hand is good exercise.
Doing it by hand is also a great reminder that you really don't want a bigger boat.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698