Cape Dory 27 restoration

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

blackwatch

Cape Dory 27 restoration

Post by blackwatch »

Hello board members. This is my first posting, so wish me luck. I have recently acquired a CD 27, hull#1 here on Cape Cod.I stumbled upon the boat in Harwich as I was returning from a boat shopping trip off-cape. I have moved the boat to Provincetown and begun the restoration.

She needs work! Lots of it. But, that is the only way that a Cape Dory could fit into my budget. She has been sitting uncovered for many years, full of leaves and pine needles. The cockpit sole was damaged (delamination due to improperly installed pedestal) and repairs were begun and never completed.

The boat is unique, being hull #1 and it is the only CD 27 with 4 port lights on each side. I first thought that it was a CD 28. Although I was told that the diesel would run, I decided to remove it and then address my propulsion options. I am planning to have a mechanic check out the engine to determine its status. The engine is an 8hp Yanmar YSE8. I have been told that parts are no longer available for this model. I have also removed the fuel tank as its installation rendered the port cockpit locker almost useless.

Here are the questions that I am hoping the board can assist me with:

Popular opinion seems to be that the CD 27 is underpowered with the 8hp. Can anyone confirm the unavailability of parts for thr YSE 8?

Looking for re-power suggestions...engines that could be squeezed through the opening behind the steps??

Also, any suggestions on where to look for a slightly used engine would be of interest.

Lastly, I may have a Yanmar YSE 8 for sale with a perfectly good aluminum fuel tank.

Hoping someone will reply....

Scott Campbell svBlackwatch Provincetown, MA
Dick Barthel

Beta Marine 13.5 fits.

Post by Dick Barthel »

If you want, send me a private message and I can send you the name of someone in our yard who repowered a CD27 with a BetaMarine (Kubota). I put the same engine in my 25D and absolutely love it.

Dick

You'll want to get a copy of "London" by Peter Baumgartner which is all about restoring and sailing a CD27. Its a great book.
Ron M.

I noticed it had moved

Post by Ron M. »

Blackwatch,
I'm so glad this boat will get the attention it deserves. It will be a project, but well worth it. I used to post it's availability on this site every year or so.(I know Karl), many looked at her.........finally she's got a home.....good luck and stay with it !
My CD30 had the YSB12 and was underpowered. I repowered with a 20hp. I would think an engine in the 12 - 16hp range would be the ticket. I know a guy who buys old Yanmar's and restores them....if you go that route.
It will be easier to remove the engine if you disassemble the port side galley......or whatever helps on a 27. It comes apart without much effort. My boat was not in as poor a state as yours.........but close. Don't hesitate in contacting me if I can answer any questions
________
Vaporizer
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:43, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Owens
City Island, New York

CD 27

Post by Bob Owens »

Dear Blackwatch,
I have been the owner of a CD27 (1977) for five years, and have loved the boat. Happily, mine had been well cared for all along. I am sure you will feel pleased with the result when you get her refitted. My YSB 8 runs beautifully, never having had (as far as I know) a rebuild. I have never had problems getting engine parts from Mack-Boring in Union, NJ, and I think Torresen Marine in Michigan also stocks most everything. Both have excellent web-sites. Although I have not tackled the kind of big jobs that lay before you, I will be happy to share info. from my boat if ever it is helpful. One of our other list members, Jim Kortleven, is right now in the midst of repowering his CD27. He has done almost all the work himself and now really knows the engine situation of a CD 27 intimately. I am sure that Jim would answer questions too.
Best,
Bob Owens