gel coat cracks

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Wanderlust

gel coat cracks

Post by Wanderlust »

So, I have this new (to me) 84 MK II with "gel coat" cracks. I've read this was an epidemic and endemic to Cape Dorys. My surveyor didn't detect any noticeable moisture in the deck. I've heard that these cracks are in the gel coat only, that is superficial and not a worry for core moisture problems. I would guess that every boat is different and the cracks could be a problem with some boats. Assuming no deck flexing issues, is it true that most CDs have this issue (caused supposedly by an overcatalized, and therefore brittle gelcoat). Has anyone attempted to repair them? (Mine has A LOT of them). Do the cracks remain fixed by V grooving them and adding epoxy, if necessary, followed by a gelcoat patch. Whats the general consensus Is this an old CD wife's tale or do we all suffer?
Boyd

I got em.

Post by Boyd »

Never worried about it much. My surveyor said "no big deal". Fixing them is a PITA.

Go sailing.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Trawler Joe

me too

Post by Trawler Joe »

My Cape Dory 28 (power) has about a million of them. No, make that a billion. Same conclusion from the surveyor, cosmetic only.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

When I first got my 25D there was one crack. That was 10 years ago and the boat had seen VERY LITTLE use due to the illness of her owner.

Now, Ten Years After (WOW that should be the name of a band) she has quite a few, maybe not Carl Sagan quanities, but alot. Deck is as sound as ever.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Michael Heintz
Location: Macht NichtsCD 30 MK IICove MarinaNorwalk, CT Woods Hole MarinaWoods Hole, Ma

Got em too......

Post by Michael Heintz »

My 87 MK II also has many of those gel coat cracks. When surveyed, their was no moister found. Would not bother to fix them.

I'm with Boyd, get out there and sail!!!!! The MK II is a wonderful boat!!!!

BTW did you see that listing for a MK II on Yacht World...

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... slim=ywpbs&
Michael Heintz
Captain Commanding
SV Macht Nichts
CD 30 MKII 004
Norwalk, CT
Woods Hole, MA.

http://www.heintzwasson.com
The Artist is not born to a life of pleasure.
He must not live idle;
he has hard work to perform,
and one which often proves a cross to be borne.
He must realize that his every deed, feeling, and thought
are raw but sure material from which his work is to arise,
That he is free in Art but not in life.
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Seraph's got em. My grandson once asked me why there was hair all over the boat!!!
Randy 25D Seraph #161
wlcoll42

Deck Surface Cracks

Post by wlcoll42 »

My CD30MKII has many surface cracks in the gel coat, also. Repairing them is difficult, especially color match. A complete topside professional gel coat is very expensive - probably $5-10K. Our vessel is in excellent condition, especially the brightwork, but I have elected thus far to ignore the surface cracks.
Bill Collins & Dr. Deanna Klosinski
"Finally"
Cape Dory 30MKII
Petoskey,MI
Wanderlust

Post by Wanderlust »

Thanks for the unanimous encouragement to forget about the gel coat cracks. Glad no one has had them cause any core issues. Ill scratch that concern off the list.
But what is with the CD30 MKII selling for 27K currently on Yachtworld. Ive got a mind to buy it for spare parts at that price.
Where was it when I needed one? Oh well.
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Gelcoat cracks

Post by Kurt »

FWIW...My experience has been that the newer the Cape Dory, the worse the cracks are. I owned a 1985 CD26 which had quite a few cracks. My current 1980 CD27 is much better in that regard while my friends 1978 CD27 is totally free of cracks. I don't think the problem is the thickness of the gelcoat so much as it's the brittleness caused by improper mixing? or a different brand being used on the newer boats?