Two questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Lee Kaufman

Two questions

Post by Lee Kaufman »

I have two questions that I hope someone can help with. I will put them is separate messages.

First question: Has anyone tried careening a CD25. If so, how did you do it and what problems might be expected. Any advice helpful.
tartansailor

Careening

Post by tartansailor »

No I have not because I do not think that it is worth the risk. IMHO
I gave the job of bottom refinishing to a professional, and the results show it, and there is no worry about stress cracks at points of contact.
Now in centerboard racers that is a different story. Typically Lightnings are rolled over on a bank of used tires, and the bottoms are easily polished.
Dick
rhunter
Location: CP 23/3,CP16, Alberg 22,Bayfield 25.CD admirer-looking for right boat

Ask the old-timers

Post by rhunter »

At most fishing villages and ports there was a beach,sandbar or a small island that was exposed at low tide. They were traditionally used to beach the boats to allow them to work on the exposed half-hull. The area had to be solid enough so the people did not have to slog around in mud and but free of thing that could damage the hull. They would sometimes prop the boat so it would rest squarely on the keel. This was before the days of travel-lifts and the EPA
Paul D.

Careening

Post by Paul D. »

When Sailing to Australia from New Zealand, we stopped off and careened the Atkins Ingrid I was working aboard. It is not hard to do but several things are important to consider.

1) You need the right place. A wall or several solid pilings with an apropriate bottom, preferably hard sand, and good solid cleats or something to tie up to. And of course a large enough tide.

2) Sail in and dock at high tide and tie up so as to let the boat fall to the bottom and set. Put out lots of fenders. Know that the CD's will all tend to set bow down due to the modified full keel so adjust lines to prevent that. The keels of our boats are mostly parrellel to the waterline though so she should set fine. Tie up the bow with several lines though.

3) Tie the mast to a solid cleat or something directly athwartships to give additional lateral support and prevent the boat from falling over. Stay with the boat during the heaviest drop of the the tide to adjust lines, know you are comitted!

4) Make sure the following high tide will refloat you.

We did this to get some paint on the bottom and check the prop and new pintle and gudgeon we installed for the massive rudder. Careening is still done in much of the world. It is not done very much in the US that I know of but maybe in the far northern latitudes and high tide areas people are still doing it. It would be great to hear if anyone is.

All the best,
Paul
miguel mascaros
Centerport Harbor NY

careening

Post by miguel mascaros »

Your boat is tuffer than you give it credit for....
I been doing my CD30 for years....
Contact me for further info on this issue...
Cheers/Mike
Al Levesque

Did Typhoon

Post by Al Levesque »

I used to careen our Typhoon. Since all nearby beaches have rocks that could damage the hull I made a single vee set of wings that I placed under the keel. The vee was somewhat open so the boat could rock a few inches each way. Since the vee was made of wood I had to add weight to keep it down. I also used a pole to push the bottom of the vee aft so as to be under the keel

I don't know if I would have tried that on the CD25.