MSB Reverse Gear Workshop manual

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Amorese
Location: CD 28 "Bella Dory" Brockport Yacht Club ,Rochester, NY

MSB Reverse Gear Workshop manual

Post by Joe Amorese »

My reverse gear is leaking oil on my CD28 MD7A and I suspect the oil seal needs to be replaced. I am trying to find the workshop manual before I attempt to disassemble. Any one have a PDF available? It seems this is a very expensive unit and I want to be 100% sure this is a do it yourself fix.
Wayne Grenier

Post by Wayne Grenier »

keep in mind several things-if you intend to pull the motor and gear box and your gearbox is 15-20 years old-you might as well replace the clutch plates and shifting fork as well-however-I found it very difficult to locate someone who can work on these gear boxes-I sent mine to a company that advertised heavily-they broke it getting it apart-put it back together-painted it green charged me $2,700 and shipped it back where it failed several months later-I ended up buying a new one-
Only a volvo gearbox will fit a volvo motor-so if your gear box goes and you can't find one-you must replace the motor and the gearbox-
they are difficult to find-a new one sometimes can be had through a dealer who has access to the main Volvo warehouse-people who can work on them are even more difficult to find-there is an old timer in Fla who helped me out and I probably have his info some where-but I was told a minor oil leak was not a big problem as on mine its a "splash" lubrication and there always will be some oil in the pan-I was told it was very difficult to get one of these gearboxes apart without breaking it-
jefff

I may have what you want

Post by jefff »

email me jfunstom at bellatlantic dott net
Jeff Funston
wirelessenabled

Post by wirelessenabled »

I have manuals check your pm.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Manuals are online right here!

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Guys,

Don't forget to poke around the rest of this web site. The CDSOA offers alot more than this message board. Anyway, you'll find many of the manuals (and lots of other info) by starting at our home page at www.capedory.org. From the home page, use the menus to find what you're looking for. The menus are accessible from all of our pages EXCEPT those of the message board and the online store which use their own software.

From the home page select:
Where to Look > Groups & Publications > Online Manuals & Brochures
then select the appropriate manual from the lists.

Here's a Quicklink:
http://www.capedory.org/cdsoalook-group ... inemanuals

Hope this helps,
Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster