The 2007 CDSOA Maine Cruise

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Leo MacDonald
Location: 'EVENING LIGHT' CD33 No. 38, Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT

Proped up ;-)

Post by Leo MacDonald »

Thanks Dean,
We were late, but did get in the pics. Someone was holding me up ;-)
Last edited by Leo MacDonald on Sep 21st, '07, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Founding Fleet Capt., NE Fleet
Past Commodore, Member No. 223
A 'Cape Dory Board' supporting member ~1999 to ~2015 :-)
Dean Abramson

Providing Paltry Pix

Post by Dean Abramson »

Here is my meager photo contribution. I do kick myself for not taking more; but at the time, it always seems like work. I need to get a little digi point-and-shoot to keep in the cockpit.

http://www.mainephoto.com/Photo%20du%20Jour2.html

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Lew Gresham

OK! Now we know!

Post by Lew Gresham »

Way to go Dean O, you da man!
Weekender
hull #914
Carl Thunberg

Just Got Back.

Post by Carl Thunberg »

My family and I just returned this afternoon from another week of cruising after the CDSOA Maine Cruise. It was extremely gratifying to see the turnout. It made all the planning worthwhile. Nice work on the name recall, Dean. You forgot Mary Hartley, also crew on Whisper. She's in the back row, fourth one in from the right.

The wind on Saturday was really something. I believe the estimate of 37 knots! I was able to beat upwind through the Thread of Life for the first time ever. It was really an exciting ride! I started out with a double-reefed main and ended up dropping the main and the staysail and sailing with just the Yankee.

Pistachio got a good hard sea trial of roughly 300 nm and now I have a great list of projects to keep me off the streets! I know many of my fellow cruise participants thought I was nuts taking a new boat straight off the dock and heading straight off for the cruise. We all made it, safe and sound, and with no major surprises.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Carl Thunberg

A few more names

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Dan and Chris' last name is Smith. They're the first couple in the back row left side. Axel Bolton and Rebekah Kaymen's son is named Allister (sp?).

I met the new member, but can't for the life of me remember his name. Hopefully he'll see this post and speak up.

Bob Dugan's wife's name is Rebecca. Stan's last name is Wheatley. Orrin's last name is Boynton. I think that's everyone.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Leo MacDonald

Reflections on NE Fleet/CDSOA ME Cruise 2007 - Segment One

Post by Leo MacDonald »

Evening Light, with Capt. & Crew (Joe Montana – 1st Mate, Bill Euker – Seaman) departed Shennecossett YC, Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT approx. 1900, 9 Aug. 07, proceeding directly to MoB Drills. All passed and I was reasonably assured the Crew would get me back on board if I did go over. (At the end of the cruise they seemed to waver a little on this :? )

We sailing / motor sailing east thru Fishers Isl., Block Isl., Rhode Isl. Sounds and Buzzards Bay, arriving at Point Independence YC, Onset, MA approx. 1400 on the 10th of Aug. The winds were out of the ENE such that we could not pinch enough to make the Buzzards Bay entrance without a south tack :( We topped off fuel (only 4 gal.) and headed thru the Cape Cod Canal under the RR Bridge (135 ft) with 1st Mate Joe at the helm. It seemed rough at the east end with the tidal flow (east-ish) opposite the wind (northeast-ish.) Joe really enjoyed this part of the transit – waking me to tell me as much :(

We then set a course for the ‘Mystery Cove’ (the Crew has been sworn to secrecy) in the general area of the Monday Float-in / Raft-up. This leg had winds from the NNW requiring E.L. to motor sailed most of the way. (Joe saw a large pod of Harbor (?) porpoise while on watch. I missed this, but he has pictures.) We arriving approx. 1800 Sat. 12 Aug. a little tied, but none the worse from 47 hour run.

During Saturday eve and Sunday we noticed a serpentine head appear at different areas around ‘Mystery Cove. Sunday eve we discussed the possible explanations, concluding we needed more hard evidence. In the interim it will be dubbed the ‘Mystery Loch Monster’. Except for the Monster, we spent Sunday relaxing with occasionally gunk holing with the dink.

We ‘stick-ed’ the fuel tank, finding approx. 1 inch of fuel at the bottom end of the dipstick. This lead to a very leisurely sail (all sail - no engine) Monday for 3 hours at 0.6 to 3.0 knots, including sailing up to a Fisherman’s Co-op fuel dock in Pleasant Cove ($2.54 per gal. AND they carry ‘Cetane Boost.’) Bob Gray was a very pleasant and accommodating dock hand, and not in any rush.

Monday thru Thursday we all participated in the Fleet Sails, pot lucks, cocktails, etc., etc in the pleasant coves, bays and harbors on Cathy’s itinerary - Maple Juice Cove / St George River (Mon., Poorhouse Cove / Johns River (Tues.), Pleasant Cove / Damariscotta River (Wed.), Boothbay Harbor (Thru.) and Robinhood / Riggs Cove / Sheepscot River (Fri.) It was a GREAT time :D - Thanks Cathy. On Tuesday Carl and Marci hosted their BBQ/pot luck w/ hotdogs, hamburgers, steamed clams and . . . .‘LOBSTAH’. Another great time :D Thanks Carl & Marcia.

On the way to Carl’s cottage we had an interesting experience. We were southbound out in lower St George River / St George Bay when we ghosted under Genny (~2 Kts) close to a Lobster Boat (20-25 yds.) Because Mr. Lobster Boat missed a pick-up and thought we were to close, he verbalized a few words that I could not quite hear (but assumed were vulgar) AND had the deck hand hurl a bait fish onto E.L.’s side deck. It was really quite a good throw as the boats were about 40 yds apart by then. I wanted to keep it for dinner but the crew nixed that idea :cry:

Anyone know of any written or unwritten custom, rule or etiquette concerning standing off a Lobster Boat darting thither and fro? And, can we eat the bait fish?

As mentioned briefly in other posts Brian Carroll in Solmar (CD36) has done an exceptionally fine service. Thursday (16th) morning around the south end of the Damariscotta River fellow CD’ers, Cliff & Uli Guthrie on Windhover with their children Tom & Emelia on board, experienced an exhaust elbow failure while motoring. The wind was so light they could not effectively buck to tide. Being further along on the days sail, Solmar with Crew Dave Bradbury & Robert Bondi along with Evening Light , turned around, backtracking, to lend assistance.

With 1st Mate Joe at the helm (and wanting to not damage any of the boats) I tried to cross to Windhover with my DC Repair Bag, but with an 8 foot distance between boats and 4 knots speed, I just could not make the leap :( We eventually got Joe to go slower and closer and I hopped from toe rail / shroud to toe rail / shroud. Cliff & I looked over the problem, a broken exhaust elbow pipe. After we attempting a temporary repair on the open area the pipe gave way completely, confirming it could not be fixed with materials on hand. Joe M. brought E.L. alongside Windhover again, all available hands held the shrouds and lifelines while Bill E. leaned over, and hoisted Emelia (with books) on board E.L.

Brian rigged a bridle and tow line, passing them to Cliff who tied it off on Windhover. Solmar started the first tow from the Damariscotta River to Booth Bay Harbor with Cliff & Uli’s son Tom at the helm of Windhover. Then again on Friday morning (due to additional concerns), Solmar towed them from Booth Bay Harbor to Robinhood MC.

Emelia is an exceptionally well mannered child. When Cliff & I discussed bringing her onto E.L. for the tow her only question to her Dad was “How many books do I bring.” On board she settled in on the bridge deck and started reading. After a few questions from us as to food and / or drink, she finally agree to drink a Coke and after a while agree to a chocolate pudding :D When we made preps to deploy the Genny she announce that she would go below, now reading on the Stbd settee, and only coming back to the bridge deck after my crew told we were reverting back to engine only operation. Once everyone was in Boothbay Harbor, Emelia was shuttled over to Windhover.

Brian gets a ‘BZ’, ‘Bravo Zulu.’ (Naval terminology ‘Well Done’ for performance / services at sea.) Thanks Brian :!: Thanks also to Tom & Lynnette Kyasky (CD31, KYKY) for standing by in case additional assistance was required :) And Cliff never stopped smiling!

On Friday (17 Aug.), at Brian’s, or Axel’s, suggestion, Evening Light sailed to the old and famous Seguin Island Lighthouse – a beautiful island with a gorgeous view. That said, we had to drag the 1st Mate back to the boat yelling & clawing and generally preferring to stay on the island. It took considerable effort by Seaman Bill and me, but we finally got him in the dink (even made him row out) and on the boat! There are several free public moorings in the north cove, but you have to dink ashore. Caretakers will give you a guided tour of the Lighthouse, discussing its history, but overnight visits are not allowed. I would recommend scheduling a full day on the island as there are several hiking paths to explore and enjoy different views.

We arrived at Robinhood Friday approx. 1800, fueled, watered, tied up to the fuel dock, borrowed a car and beat feet to the Robinhood Meeting House for the Grand Finale dinner - good meal, steep price. Everyone mingled, gammed and I did my best to recruit a new Fleet and Fleet Captain - we’ll see :wink: (BTW: That is the second restaurant that could not produce a ‘Dark & Stormie’ :cry: What’s up with that – did they not know we were coming?? The Tug Boat Inn in Booth Bay was the other.)

As an “At-a-boy to Robinhood MC”; Upon arriving, I asked the Dock Attendant to cancel our mooring reservation as we planned to get underway after the dinner. They did this, and after topping off the fuel tank (6.5 gal.) and water, let me tie up to the fuel dock for three hours and loaned me a car to get to the Robinhood Meeting House. Nice people :D

PS:
1. Assembling this article took a combined effort – thanks to all who assisted.
2. I write from a technical background, while my wife, RA, writes like most people like to read a story – you do not want to hear our discussions :oops:
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Dean Abramson

Bravo

Post by Dean Abramson »

Great account, Leo! Thanks.

But how about the trip home??? Would love to hear more.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Dean Abramson

Oh

Post by Dean Abramson »

Now I notice that was Part One.
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Dan & Chris
2007 Melonseed Skiff "Sprout"
Linekin Bay, ME

Re: Oh

Post by Dan & Chris »

Dean Abramson wrote:Now I notice that was Part One.
And while we're anxiously waiting for Part Two, we wanted to thank Leo, Dean, Carl, and all the other Maine Cruisers who welcomed us when the fleet arrived in Boothbay Harbor. Since our Typhoon wasn't up to sailing from Lake Champlain to Maine, and we have a place in Boothbay, we stopped down at the Tugboat dock to say hello. Leo took us around and introduced us, and got us on board some of the CDs. We met a lot of people in person that we had only read of on the board, and we had a nice dinner at Robinhood on Friday. It was nice to get a tour of the CD 31 (Dean), 33 (Leo), and 36 (Brian). We need a bigger boat...

We drove back to Boothbay that night in the fog and woke up to the howling wind, and were sure glad that we hadn't accepted any invitations to crew home!

Chris and Dan
Leo MacDonald

Reflections on NE Fleet/CDSOA ME Cruise 2007 - Segment Two

Post by Leo MacDonald »

With an additional crew member, Dick Barthel - Seaman, Evening Light left the Robinhood MC fuel dock ~2230 on Friday the 17th, plucked Dick’s stuff off Nosly (Stan’s CD28) and headed down river.. (As it turned out, despite efforts to shanghi him :( , this addition to our crew proved very timely.) The first 3 hours was an ‘All Hands’ evolution - everyone participated. From the time RMC lights faded around the corner of land we were in pitch dark, misty air. Visibility on the water was in the 10 to 20 foot range with the occasional house lights visible up to ¼ mile (but not throwing any light on the water or in our area.) It took up the better part of 1-1/2 hrs to motor (at ~0 to 1 Kt) from RMC to the Sheepscot River proper. Once in the river, we proceeded downriver at ~ 2 to 3 Kts laying each red can buoy close aboard the port side. By ~0300 we were clear of the river with open ocean to the south, but still in reduced visibility of 100 to 150 yds.
~0500 slowly the horizon became visable and as day dawned the skies were clear with plenty of sunshine.

From ~0300 to ~1500 Saturday E.L. experienced the following difficulties :?
Seasickness.
Furling Line parted (in Force 6 / 7 seas, breaking waves.)
Engine Raw Water System air bound.
Autohelm (‘Auto’) could not hold course.
(More on this in Segment Three.)

By 2000 on Saturday E.L., with the exception of ‘Auto’, was fully operational and we were sailing for the Cape Cod Canal (and slightly ahead of schedule.) After an uneventful canal passage, we pulled into the fuel dock at Point Independence YC, Onset, MA ~ 0400 on Sunday, Aug. 19th.

About 0700 the attendant shows up, asking ‘What do we want?’ ‘We would like to top off with fuel.’ When paying for the fuel the attendant insists that we pay an overnight slip fee ($66.00.) We explained our wait at the dock time frame and the sole reason for being here was the fuel top-off. I explained that in my offshore sails I always stopped there to top off fuel (and up to that day they have been great people to deal with.) But to no avail, we paid the fee with his promise to review the ‘camera videos’. He said if we arrived as ‘claimed’ I would be reimbursed. 3 weeks later I have not received any word from the PIYC. This attendant was not the normal Dock Manager (whom we have done business with since the July 1999 Onset Cape Dory Rendezvous.) In the future we will re-fuel at the Marina next door vice PIYC.

We departed Onset Bay ~0730 with a sour taste, but a nice sail down Buzzards Bay, RI Sound, Block Isl. Sound and Fishers Isl. Sound. At 2300 on Aug. 19th, 48 hours after we left Robinhood MC, we arrived at the wash-down dock Shennecossett YC, Pine Isl. Bay, Groton CT. ‘Dark & Stormies’, rest and gam were enjoyed by all. (And the Dock Manager did not charge an overnight slip fee!) Bill departed approx. 0100, while Joe, Dick and I caught up on our sleep :D Monday morning we all unloaded, washed down the boat and brought her out to her mooring. Great cruise!! :D
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Dick Barthel

Who says CDs don't back up?

Post by Dick Barthel »

Leo's modesty prevents him for telling of the final maneuver. Once home we tied up at the unloading dock for the night. The dock was at the end of and perpendicular to two rows of slips about 100 feet long. In the morning we needed to bring Evening Light back to her mooring and don't you know the wind was coming pretty good right down the slot between the slips. EL was situated such that there was not enough room to turn her around so her bow could point in the direction we wanted to go. She was paralled parked at the docked between two other boats and she was pretty well pinned against the dock with the wind. After using a line off the quarter to get her stern off the dock, I marveled as Leo backed her straight as an arrow (well almost :D ) for the 100 feet or so it took to clear the row of slips. From everything I've read on the board that was supposed to have been impossible.

I won't soon forget the 30-40 kt winds with 6-8 foot breaking waves on our beam with perfectly blue skies. It was a fascinating 48 hours of straight sailing (except for a short stop at Onset) with a great Captain and crew.

Dick
Leo MacDonald

Reflections on NE Fleet/CDSOA ME Cruise 2007 - Hard Lessons!

Post by Leo MacDonald »

Based on my naval training when something goes wrong or even just ‘not as expected’ I like to do a ‘Incident Review’ / ‘Lessons Learned’. And, as you see below, share that with sailors that may be able to learn from our problems / errors. In that vein, the crew of E.L. has engaged in a comprehensive review of the previously mentioned problems. Our suggestions below are for our fellow CD’ers review/use.

A. Seasickness: No one took meds. The wind from the west was due to a high press system – clear skies and otherwise nice day – not a storm. (Sneaky little ‘weather god’.)
Contributing factors - We all had a very long day, from early morning Friday into early morning Saturday. We were tired. One weather report was for 2 to 4 ft seas and another report had fair winds for Saturday – both a ‘little’ erroneous. We had 10-15 foot seas with breaking waves.
Lessons Learned:
1. Should have considered Crew rest that night (Friday) and leave Saturday at ~1100.
2. Take Meds.
3. Keep your head up and out of lockers, bilge, engine compartment, etc. I do not know what to do about the weather reports.

B. Furling Line parted ~0900 Sat. (in ~ Force 6 / 7 seas)
Contributing factors:
1. The Spinnaker tack sheave on the foredeck had been re-attached in a way that its line rubbed against the furling line. In the partially deployed condition on Saturday, while under varying wind induced tension, the furling line stretched back and forth over this line creating a chafe problem.
2. During partial furling conditions, when the line was being spooled at the top of the drum it may have come in contact with the outside top edge of the drum, yielding another chafe point.
3. Roller Furlers are designed to reduce the sail only 25 to 30 % from original size (i.e. E.L.s 150% Genny down to ~ a 120-125% Genny.)
4. A 150% Genny is not for ‘heavy weather’, i.e. not a ‘Storm Jib’. We had conditions slowly built to the point of calling for a reefed (or double reefed main.)
5. I had noted the Furling line was getting ‘long on the tooth’ before departing Groton, time limits interfered with replacement. It should have been replaced.

Lessons Learned -
1 & 2. Insure fair lead for the furling line. (Furling Sheave and Spinnaker Sheave were repositioned Saturday and the Furling Sheave again on 9 Sep.)
3 & 4. Do not deploy Genny above Med. Air conditions. At sea, furl it and deploy a reefed main and / or reduced sized jib.
4. If we had known the offshore conditions to expect, we might have tied in the 2nd reef while still at the dock at RMC. Also, we did not have a ‘Sea Trials’, involving all the crew with an eye at operations and discussions of ship’s equipment. Last years Nova Scotia Crew did this step, with all sorts of items I had not thought of being discussed. I’m leaning toward a ‘Sea Trials’ for next year (for the Offshore Sail Crew.)
5. Replace weak lines. (Purchased Aug. 20th at Defender 60 feet of the highest abrasion resistant line they had, installed it on Aug 24th.)

C. Engine Raw Water air binding.
Background - After air binding the engine raw water system two years ago (and wiping an impeller), the hull seacock was moved from aft of the engine on the port side to forward and lower (and deeper) on the hull curvature (using the space on the Stbd side of the engine.) The raw water strainer remaining on the port side (initial location.) This necessitates using a ninety degree bronze elbow just above the seacock and running the hose low into the engine bilge sump away from the engine water pump, crankshaft and alternator sheaves. The raw water now air bound a lot less (but the problem was not eliminated.) After the air binding last year, I drilled and tapped a “Manual Vent” hole in the high point of the bronze elbow. Then an angled vent path was cut into the installed machine screw so it would not have to be completely removed (and seawater spray everywhere) to purge any air. Saturday evening we just backed the screw out until the gurgling stopped and a steady water flow observed – engine raw water system vented and operational.
Lessons Learned - We will NOT motor-sail on a hard Stbd tack. Any other suggestions?

D. Autohelm.
Contributing factors:
1. Heavy Weather.
2. Worn Clutch, last year Ray Marine recommended replacing the ‘Clutch Kit’. I have that part and should have replaced it. That said, Autohelm units are known to be weak in ‘heavy weather.’
3. “ST 4000 WP, Mark I”. This unit is at the upper end of its range with a CD33. When E.L. is loaded for a cruise the Autohelm is overloaded in anything but light airs. .
Lessons Learned - Long Term:
1. Add a Monitor Wind Vane for Offshore rudder control.
2. Replace the Autohelm with a more substantial unit, “ST 4000 WP, Mark II” or RayMarine’s current production, the “S-1” (I think??)
3. Interim: Replace the Clutch Kit. [Note: That was done on Aug. 29th, but it seems the belt has stretched - again. I managed to beg a belt out of the nice people at RayMarine Service Dept. that is normally reserved for in-house repairs. Parts Dept. no longer carries the belt. It was mentioned that an Auto Pilot is a luxury. That said, 90% of my sailing is ‘single handed’ - without ‘Auto’ there would be a lot less sailing or a very exhausted Leo. I use it A LOT!!

Note: I am interested in buying a belt for the “ST 4000 WP, Mark I”. The P/N is D169. I am also interested in buying a ‘ST 4000 WP, Mark II” Drive Unit (the Belt, housing and motor.) According to the Techs at Ray Marine, the “ST 4000 WP, Mark II” Drive (power) unit can use the ST 4000 WP, Mark I” control head.

E. Plotting Note - We found some of the crew had difficulty taking co-ordinates and plotting them on a chart (all were competent with GPS.) One of the crew’s son is a US Navy Commander. His comment was “GPS can become a crutch . . . what you really need is your position and a chart showing rocks, coastline, depth, etc. . . .“
I recommend everyone re-acquaint yourself with plotting coordinates on a chart – from ANY source, GPS, LORAN, Line of Positions (LOPs), etc. I, in turn, will fiddle with the GPS until its second nature.

Comments are invited and encouraged :D
Last edited by Leo MacDonald on Sep 14th, '07, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

As a follow up to Leo's comments about chart plotting:

I am currently taking a basic Piloting/Navigation class with the local US Power Squadron. The course seems to emphasize using GPS as the primary navigation tool with a paper chart being a "back up".

I guess I am old fashioned, but this did not make sense to me. I recently talked with the local USCG Auxiliary and they also disagree. When they teach their navigation class, it is "90%" paper chart, protractor, divider, pencil, and eraser. They discuss GPS but only briefly and at the very end of the class.

I plan to complete the USPS piloting/navigation class but will also take the USCG Auxiliary navigation class.

There is one thing I have acquired in the USPS class that I find VERY helpful. They recommended that students purchase a Course Protractor Plotter from them ($8). It is essentially a solid piece of plastic 15" long and about 4" wide with a compass rose with markings for Lat. and Lon., nm scales, parallel lines, etc. You can take heading measurements or plot headings using this simple plotter. Having tried (and failing miserably) to use a set of folding parallel rulers, the Course Protractor Plotter is simple to use and requires very little practice. It is relatively compact (15" x 4") and appears very durable. It seems like it would be a lot easier to use in the cockpit of a sailboat or even on a cabin chart table than the parallel ruler. Bottom line - if a dummy like me can figure out how to use it, and be comfortable using it (at least on my kitchen table at home :!: ) anyone on this board for sure can use it. :)

I bought mine from USPS but I assume you can buy directly from the manufacturer.

The toll free number for The C-Thru Ruler Company is 800.243.8419. The website is http://www.cthruruler.com/ From their go to marine products. The item number is P72.

I have no interest in the company, do not own stock in the company, and have never spoken with anyone at the company. I assume you could order from them directly.

If not, call USPS at 888.367.8777

Fair winds,

P.S. Yes, I know, buy a $#@^!*! Cape Dory already. I am diligently working on doing so. However, the gods are apparently conspiring against me.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Sea Hunt,

How does the PS teach the use of a GPS without the reference of a chart? They need to teach you how to pull the Lat and Lon coordinates off a chart, no? Or do they just use the preprinted coordinates that are on a chart. I'm assuming that they do not assume that everyone will have a handheld mapping GPS or chartplotter.

Chartplotter are in general very easy to use and enter waypoints, just point and shoot for a lot of them. But entering waypoints into a non-mapping GPS needs to be done very carefully. All route bearings and distances should be compared with the same routes charted on the paper chart. It is pretty easy to punch in one wrong digit when entering a position.

When I first started sailing in Maine my morning routine while the rest of the family was sleeping was to plot the route on paper then pull the lat and lon from the chart with dividers and a calculator for all the waypoints. The last step was to plug them into a GPS. If you didn't compare the GPS route with the course lines on paper how would you know you have them entered correctly?

I'll confess that in familiar waters I'll leave the charts down below and rely on the chartplotter alone. But anytime going into a new harbor or passage I always like to look at the paper charts first plus any comments in the appropriate cruising guide for the area.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Joe:

I know this is now a little off topic from "CDSOA Maine 2007 Cruise", and apologize to all. My post was intended only as a follow up to the excellent "after action report" from Leo MacDonald addressing "plotting".

The USPS does not eliminate the use of charts. USPS places most of its emphasize (too much in my tadpole opinion) on GPS with a chart as back up. They want you to obtain Lat/Lon coordinates from your GPS, waypoints, etc. and then, using a "seaman's eye" periodically confirm what the GPS is telling you with what you actually see on the water and what the paper chart tells you. They do not eliminate the use of charts. They just seem to place much more emphasis on GPS. The book they recommend as a learning aid is called "Weekend Navigator". It is almost 95% filled with GPS information.

I do not have a GPS yet. This is not really a deterrent in the USPS class as the student book provides you with hypothetical Lat/Lon coordinates taken from a hypothetical GPS unit.

I am sure GPS is reliable, etc. I guess I just grew up with a topographic map, a compass, and a Dad who said, "if you want to go deer hunting you better figure out how to get there and back". :wink:

It will be some time before I can afford to invest in a GPS. My priority right now is maintaining and increasing the size of my "buy a boat" fund.

Fair winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097