Boston Harbor Island Regatta

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Boston Harbor Island Regatta

Post by Neil Gordon »

The third annual will be held on Saturday, September 29. Last year the deal was that if we could get three boats in a class, they'd dig up a trophy. I'll lobby for the same this year.

The general plan would be to gather as many of us the night before and anchor/moor close to the start. First boat is off at 10 AM... it's a pursuit race around the harbor islands and maybe this year there will be enough breeze to turn the time difference into a real head start.

Email me for more information.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Stan W.

I'm leaning toward doing it again; can we get 5 CD 28s ...

Post by Stan W. »

this year? How about Liquidity, Tantalus, Annie Golding, Nonsly and one other? Even if they're not 28s, the more CDs the merrier. If we do this, there should be plenty of opportunities for volunteers who want to crew.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Regatta website

Post by Neil Gordon »

Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
ronkberg

Crew offer.......

Post by ronkberg »

Stan and Neil, I would like to offer myself and possibly another guy to crew on a boat. If we were to drive down from Maine on the morning of the regatta, how could we get to your boats? Are there water taxis available? Any other options if crew slots are available?

Thanks, Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Neil Gordon

Water taxi

Post by Neil Gordon »

Water taxi service is available in Boston harbor but I don't know the details or whether they service the harbor islands. Here's the website:

http://www.citywatertaxi.com/about_us.html
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Angela and Tom
prev. Typhoon "Dog Star"
Duxbury, MA

Post by Angela and Tom »

We’re planning on sailing up and anchoring overnight again. But we’re on the fence about actually entering the race.

We went out and bought a loos gauge after Stan overtook us at the halfway point on the on the sail back home to Duxbury. (He started out two hours after we did and from 5 miles farther back.) The shag rug we found on our keel at haul-out may have had something to do with it. But tuned rigging and smooth bottom notwithstanding, we’re pretty leery about sailing in the close company of over a hundred boats all jockeying for the position. Our skills might not be up to the challenge—our nerves definitely aren’t.

Sure did enjoy crewing on the winning Cape Dory last year though...

A
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

Angela and Tom wrote:But tuned rigging and smooth bottom notwithstanding, we’re pretty leery about sailing in the close company of over a hundred boats all jockeying for the position.
The advantage of the pursuit race is that the hundred boats start at different times and are in any case broken down into a couple of fleets to ease congestion at the finish line. So there's little jockeying for position at the start and the only crossing traffic was on the windward leg. By then, the traffic was fairly light.

In addition to that, it's a fairly casual race. I don't race at all, other than this regatta (and excepting "one-off" races against virtually every sail I see, whenever) and with only modestly proficient racing crew (good crew, just not a lot of racing experience) we were quite happy with our finish last year. By the way, year 1 (this will be 3) we were late enough crossing the finish line that we got a DNF. It was still fun.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Stan W.

Bump.

Post by Stan W. »

Are there any other CDers thinking about entering this race?
John Ring

I'm In

Post by John Ring »

I'll be there. I'll probably drop the hook in Portuguese Cove a night or two before the race.

John
CD28 #241 Tantalus
Neil Gordon

Re: I'm In

Post by Neil Gordon »

John Ring wrote:I'll probably drop the hook in Portuguese Cove a night or two before the race.
That's my plan, too, if the schedule otherwise allows. Just for general info, there are a number of moorings available there.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Stan W.

I'm In

Post by Stan W. »

I'm planning on mooring/anchoring at Portuguese Cove both Friday and Saturday nights, weather permitting.

Neil, do we know yet whether 3 (maybe 4) boats is enough for a class trophy this year?
Neil Gordon

Re: I'm In

Post by Neil Gordon »

Stan W. wrote:Neil, do we know yet whether 3 (maybe 4) boats is enough for a class trophy this year?
I'll check the rules. Last year, they required five boats for a class but that was before I had lunch with a Harbor Islands board member. Mari told me she's dig up a trophy if we could get three and held true to her word. I'm pretty sure I can cut the same deal this year.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Neil Gordon

Re: Crew offer.......

Post by Neil Gordon »

ronkberg wrote:If we were to drive down from Maine on the morning of the regatta, how could we get to your boats? Are there water taxis available? Any other options if crew slots are available?
Change in plans for me. Rather than anchor out at Peddocks, I'll be leaving from the marina same as last year.

I don't know what Stan's needs are but I could use one more crew member as Laura is off at a reunion that weekend.

In any case, the water taxi problem has been solved.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Michael Heintz
Location: Macht NichtsCD 30 MK IICove MarinaNorwalk, CT Woods Hole MarinaWoods Hole, Ma

Shag rug....

Post by Michael Heintz »

Angela......

FYI......keep the Shag below :-) More people can enjoy it that way!!!!!

Everyone loves a Shag rug!!
Michael Heintz
Captain Commanding
SV Macht Nichts
CD 30 MKII 004
Norwalk, CT
Woods Hole, MA.

http://www.heintzwasson.com
The Artist is not born to a life of pleasure.
He must not live idle;
he has hard work to perform,
and one which often proves a cross to be borne.
He must realize that his every deed, feeling, and thought
are raw but sure material from which his work is to arise,
That he is free in Art but not in life.
Stan W.

I'll be needing crew too.

Post by Stan W. »

I plan to depart Duxbury at approximately 9:00 a.m. Friday, September 28 and arrive at Portuguese Cove (Peddocks Island) sometime late that afternoon. The race and post-race activities will consume most of Saturday and I will spend Saturday night back at Portuguese Cove. Sunday will be the reverse of Friday. All of the above is, of course, subject to change on account of adverse weather. I would welcome crew for all or any part of the trip. If someone just wants to crew for the race, Neil's offer to act as water taxi makes that possible too.